Lap at NHIS | FerrariChat

Lap at NHIS

Discussion in 'New England' started by rsvmille676, Sep 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I am writing this for those who may be interested in doing a track day at NHIS or perhaps even race at NHIS. Keep in mind this will be from the perspective of my Motorcycle as I have been on track with that most in the past 3 years. The 7 years prior, I spent behind the wheel of an ITS spec RX-7. The gears used on my bike closely match those used in a car application as well. You may need to read this a few times to make sense. I will try to find a map so you can follow along.

We'll start our adventure in 4th gear full throttle on the main straight, clipping past Start / Finish. The "4" board is quickly approaching us on the right. Full throttle....4-3- BRAKE (start looking left through the apex of 1) -2- Match rev (heel toe) Down Shift to 3rd gear as the 1 board passes us... Looking to the left, tip the bike in with light trail brake pressure. Ease off the brake and add throttle to settle the chassis as we hit our apex. Passing the apex with a left knee on the ground.

Looking through the corner to a "mid-line" in the middle of the track we begin to stand the bike up and really open the throttle for the short chute between 1 and 1A. Looking right we can see the 1A apex cone across the grass infield from us. Staying at neutral throttle we tip the bike to the right, again a knee hits the pavement. This time it is very close if not right on the burm at the edge of the track. 2 seconds before we hit the apex cone in 1A we start looking left (across the bike) again at 2.

As we stand the bike up to go left we give a quick release of the throttle and down shift into 2nd. This helps to bleed a little bit of speed and get the bike (or car) pointed in the right direction. As the bike starts to turn left we apply a decent amount of throttle to settle the chassis for the upcoming pavement transition. Turn 2 has noticable transition from road course to oval. Looking quickly at the apex marker in 2 we shift our focus to a small hole in the fence diaganally across from us. Soon after gaining focus on the hole in the fence our left knee is on the ground. As we cross the transition the front end unsettles a little bit and as the backend catches up to the now sliding front. The extra throttle we applied earlier helps keep us going in the right direction.

Out of 2 we are full throttle out to the nascar wall, shift into 3rd gear and look slightly left into the braking chute for turn 3. Using the cones on the side of the chute we count down from 6-5-4-3-BRAKE-Downshift into 2nd, and look right, thought the corner at a clump of grass across the track. 2- start turning in, just missing the rumble strips to our right, knee down looking across the track at this clump of grass adding a moderate amount of throttle.

Once we are sure the bike is heading towards the clump of grass we crane our neck to the right looking up hill at our next apex marker. Again we encounter the first of 2 pavement transitions, the first is not really noticable, the second however causes the bike to bump up and down rather viloently. After the second transition we can really start to add in throttle to power up the hill going past the apex marker in turn 4. We are leaning to the right, close to full throttle and can see our track-out cone across from us in 5 on the left side of the track.

Full throttle over the top of 5 shifting gears into 3rd again. Moving from the left side of the track in 5 we start coming down hill into the turn 6 chute. 6 is a bowl shaped turn with 32' of camber. It is AWESOME to say the least. We can see braking cones on our right and we have set up about 2 ' off from them. At the bottom of the hill there is a space between the last two cones and we are aiming for the gap between them. full throttle down the hill until we pass cone 3. We sit up from behind the bubble, BRAKE! Look left down to the bottom of the bowl in this turn. We then ease off a bit to a trail braking pressure. Just before we are at the gap in the cones we turn left, ease off the brakes, apply moderate throttle and can feel every bit of the suspension working with us, compressing and then rebounding as we pass the apex of the corner. Just passed the apex we can really add some gas and let the machine slide to outside of the turn. Our left knee is on the pavement the whole time through this corner.

At the apex of 6 we have turned our head up hill and to the left. Looking beyond the infield tree to the apex marker in 7. If you pull off 6 correctly, no further steering input is needed for 7. The bike (or car) will go the direction you need it to with the initial input from 6. Standing the bike up through the "kink" in 7 we ride / drive over the rumble strip on the right side of the track. We start to turn slightly to the right up a small hill and under the turn 8 tree stand.

As we pass under the tree stand we are at full throttle, and can see the track continue to the right a bit. Instead of following this slight curve in the road we will look straight ahead at the apex marker for 9. It is across the track from us and we can stay at full throttle until we are literally right on top of it. A quick stab on the brakes to settle the chassis we begin looking left down the hill. The nice thing about 9 is that we can go passed the apex marker for what I like to call a count of 3. 3-2-1 now start turning left. Delaying our entry into the apex allows us to bleed a little more speed as well as really square off the turn. Once we have started turning left we look for a cement wall on the left edge of the track. Adding gas we put our left knee down and contiue our turn down hill to the edge of this wall. At the wall, we stand the bike up and start turning right through 10.

Turn 10 is a parking lot. Changes to this part of the track over the past 8 years have really opened it up to just about any line. We will be taking an early apex through 10 missing a "man eating" curb on the right side of the track. Close to full throttle we have come down the chute from 9 and have started looking right and can see well down the track to a cone waaaaaaay across the track on the left. We do need to be a little careful as we will be crossing the oval again and experiencing the pavement transition similar to those in 3. Just as the bike starts to bounce a little we can feel the pavement under our right knee and are sliding both the front and rear of the bike (or car) praying that our michelins (yes I'm sponsored) stick. Full throttle across the track gradually standing the bike up to the cone we saw just seconds before. It is much closer now and we can see a braking cone for 11 and also apex cones for 11A. After we start looking left into 12 we straight line 11, and just passed the inital cone we grab a handful of BRAKE! Now you should have noticed we haven't changed gears in a while. Last time was grabbing 3rd at the top of turn 5. Reason being is that from 5 through 11 we are moving at a high rate of speed and can use every bit of 3rd gear from a low point in turns 6 and 9 to almost 4th in turn 8 and out of 10.

After braking hard we trail brake a little and begin our left hand turn. Easing off the brakes we add moderate throttle to settle the chassis and our knee is now firmly planted on the ground. Ok, at this point the cars will continue on a straight line back out to the main straight. Bikes are completely different, we use a 12-12A chicane to slow us down. After our knee is on the pavement through 11A we look across the bike into 12. There is a Diamond shaped peice of pavement in the middle of the track that cuts across the apex of 12. Simply connecting the dots here is a big help. If you were to draw a line across 2 opposite points of this diamond you will hit both apexes for 12 and 12A.

Keeping neutral throttle we need to transition to the right. We force the bike from our left knee to our right knee and then adding a handful of throttle we turn left one last time and head out on the main straight. Full throttle we shift gears, 3rd, 4th.... passed start /finish.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    AWESOME! Will print it out! BTW, was at the track today and i NEED your constructive criticism. i KNOW there is PLENTY of room for improvement.

See race video at www.ispexperts.com/nhis090105.wmv

3. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Steven,

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday. I will definately set aside some time in the next few weeks to get up there with you.

4. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks. Please plan of Sept 29 between 8am and 12pm. Thanks as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated. i KNOW i am getting the downhill and last few corners wrong... (and other things, but those are the OBVIOUS problems).

5. S2000Driver

S2000Driver Rookie

Aug 19, 2004
    Steve,

You should come out with us on Oct 17th....

www.scda1.com

I run the the advanced group.
    You have the line down pretty good.
    Just work on staying in the throttle longer and brake harder/later.
    Seat time is what you need.

-Ted

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Steve

Very nice video and fun to watch. My only thoughts are that (i.) you might try a later apex on the left hander going onto the Nascar portion so that you will be pointed straight a tad earlier, allowing you to hit full throttle that much earlier and (ii.) you were a bit wide of the apex in the hairpin and heading up the hill, I seem to go fastest when I hit that apex and track out only to the middle going up the hill (do what works best for you, I see lots of different lines here and my experience is in a small bore vintage Turner so YMMV with more horsepower) and (iii.) I really try to straight line the esses, using the curbs and then really clipping the apex by the pitwall onto the straight.

You looked real good going through the bowl and coming down the corkscrew, possibly could consider coming out a bit farther right for the first left hander into the esses before coming back out onto the main straight.

Must have been huge fun and the engine sounds strong and responsive. How did the car feel under braking and in the corners?

John

7. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Sadly I can not see the video from work.

I'll See if I can get it to work at home. Seat time will definately help you in your quest to find more speed.

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ted, looks do-able and will decide shortly. Already registered with COMsports http://www.comscc.org and i do enjoy NHIS at virtually every open track day when i am home. i DO need more seat time there and also want to do the WG and more of LRP. Perhps 2006 will mean i will be in FCA, SCDA, and COMsport :)

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #9 enjoythemusic, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John,

Been carefully studying my lines and variations as i have over 45 minutes of video at various times that day. Agree on the later apex into turn 1.

Also agree i was bit wide of the apex in the hairpin and heading up the hill (turn 3). The braking needs to be harder if possible but i was near max and am on Mich Pilot Sport PS2 so the grip is 'compromised', yet that is really NO excuse, just some added info for you. Also agree to stay in the middle of the uphill as i stayed to the right (inside) once and the rear end hopped on a bump that was followed by oversteer and i hit the grass on the right. All i saw was a little hill and then a DROP OFF not knowing there was more of the hill below. THAT was an interesting track off that made my heart jump.

As for the bowl (turns 6 and 7) i could probably take them faster as there is tons of grip. Was probably braking too early/scrubbing too much speed off and this meant i could take the turns sharper versus having more speed and taking a less sharp turn.

What does perplex me is turns 10, 11 and 12. i can't seem to get the right lines and am sure it is due to lack of seat time and experience/training. Sometimes i would slightly go over the right uptic at turn 12 as i was playing around with what max speed is. My lines from10 to 12 stinks and i tried various lines and followed others. i need more experience there. MUCH more!!!

Right now the car needs... more suspension tweaks and balancing as well (more lame excuses, i know). The car is going to KTR to lose another 15 lbs off the front and this should helps as i lost 15 lbs off the front between my first NHIS day and then a few weeks later another NHIS day. The loss of 15 lbs up front before the video was shot helped as did having a better understanding of the track and what tire pressure may be best. Will lose another 15 lbs later this week or so.

So basically i am still learning in MANY directions and fine tuning. Seems i am not LEAGUES off, but still have work to do.

The engine is VERY strong but lacks response and dogs out at under 3,500 rpm. Wish i could have found someone with an IN STOCK lightened flywheel when we did the clutch in late July. Time was not on my side so we just resurfaced the OEM flywheel and only hours later i was at Lime Rock with new rear main seal/bearings/clutch...

Under braking the car is VERY well balanced and strong. ZERO brake fade probably due to uprated Brembos slotted front package, Girodisc slotted rotor rears with DS3000 pads, and of course Motul 600 fluid.

As for the car during turns in the corners, she feels a touch too much oversteer unless i have less than 1/4 tank of gas. It could be due:

A) needing to remove more weight off the front (am doing that this week with new Nick Forza Fchat sponsor uprated radiator)

B) More aggressive throttle at certain points to bring the weight more towards the rear (only pertinent at certain points in the track and my lack of seat time)

C) tire pressure and/or suspension adjustments

The good thing is the brakes are fine with no fade. The car grabs well and balance is generally good but could be better at times so there needs to be some tweaks. Color me being at STEP 2 on the learning curve and that goes up to STEP 30.

Your impressions are GREATLY appreciated and the reason i posted that particular track lap on the video was because it was an average lap by Yours Truly. i could easily burn a CD with all 45+ minutes with many laps, but that was not the point really PLUS i did not want to seem like a burden to everyone here.

ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated. Many, many, many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (track map below for those not familar with NHIS)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login