Gas prices... | FerrariChat

Gas prices...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by noahlh, Sep 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    So WTF is up with gas prices? I paid $3.79 / gallon in NJ a few days ago, and $3.39 in midtown manhattan (both for 93) last night. I have NEVER paid more for gas in NJ in my entire life -- that's gotta be proof that they're just throwing darts at this point.

2. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    It's complete and utter gouging and I look forward to these guys getting "theirs" as the smoke clears. You can buy gas for as low as $3.19 a gallon and as high as $4 in NJ. Just depends on the station. The BS is when they are selling the same gas that they paid the lower price on and upping the cost without having the more expensive shipment come in. I see fluctuations as much as 60 cents on stations just a few blocks from one another.

It's just rediculous...

3. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Same sheit here in CT. Yesterday I paid $3.30 gallon in Milford for 93 octane, and while driving around New Haven, I saw prices posted at $3.80 gallon for 93. WTF??!!!

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    But I have not seen a decrease in the amount of cars/driving over this holiday weekend. I've seen a little more traffic at the pumps, but thankfully no long lines indicitive of a shortage. I'm sure prices will not drop again significantly. I'm sure we'll see higher prices as winter approaches. How coincidental. And there has been a spate of fuel-efficient cars. How coincidental :(

Hang on to your shorts, as I'm sure the ripple effect of high gas prices has yet to impact us fully. From increased good transportation costs to less cash used at gas stations for petty thieves to steal. Check out Yahoo news for what some other nations are doing to combat the exorbitant prices. Interesting.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the embargo of '77. Getting up at 2:00am to get in line to get gas & get home by 8:00am so Dad could drive to work.

On the bright side, the govt wanted to increase the fuel tax. I don't think they'll be looking to pick our pockets that way with the cost of fuel what it is now. Look for their hands in our other pockets, though :(

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Scary stuff. I actually thought about *not* refilling yesterday.

I actually hear that margins are pretty slim for some gas retailers - 7 cents a gallon in some gases - so not all are gorging. They're simply passing on the same premiums being charged to them by the providers. Guys that are charging $4 / gallon, though, are definitely taking advantage.

Remember, www.gasbuddy.com is your friend. I just found out about this site - apparently is has become so popular that they've shut down their message board as the server couldn't handle the traffic. Apparently 239 10th Ave & 24th St in NYC is offering gas at $2.99 / gallon. Go get 'em.

6. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis

Noah, I hear ya bro. Cost me f-ing $56 at $3.70/gallon in da Jerz Sunday night to fill up the M3 but the prices were in the $3.40ish on my way back in. Wasn't too happy about that.

7. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
  8. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    all i know is that i paid over $80 to fill up my hummer

9. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I hear ya on that one -- $2.95 / gallon for diesel, and our Dodge RAM takes 35 gallons.....:(

10. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    At the end of last week I did the unthinkable....I waited 20 minutes in line to pay $2.89 for regular self serve. Now that same station (cheapest in the area) is at $3.40. Man am I glad I have an 8 mile r/t commute.

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    So GDC may have to go the route of many other businesses....a special "Fuel" surcharge for delivery/pickup of a car.

If anybody cares, I checked the mpg on both cars last weekend.
    mazda6i manual - 28mpg
    Ferrari308 - 15mpg - driven fairly hard

12. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    The prices are weird out here too. The mobil station and the pumps at 7-11 on CR111 which typically have the highest prices around are now the lowest. I filled up with premium on friday for 3.29 which is less than what most other places are charging for regular. I think most stations I see around here are at 3.99 for premium.

13. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    You "Hamptons" folks are always payin' a premium on the East End! ;-)

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #14 sjmst, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Based on this posting and your sig, I thought this is what you meant:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Like the new avatar. See spotter's thread. You?

16. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    All this and I inadvertantly pulled in and paid full-serve prices $3.79/gal) at 7:30 am to self-serve at my Mobil station in the city this weekend. Whoops.

Never noticed that different pumps had different prices at that station. And, for the record, those "full service" signs aren't very big, and it's certainly not like attendants come running to you car on the full-service pumps. I was there more than 20 minutes and never saw anyone!

All the while I was wondering why gas prices went up by $1+/gallon during my three short weeks gallivanting in Europe (where gas is still more, although no longer by much...) At least I ran into JC and found out about a good run going on. I guess that was worth the extra $4 I paid for 1/2-3/4 of a tank...

17. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Pure gouging. Does NY have an antigougin law? I love to take them Gas station owners down. And taken them down hard!!!

18. JustinS

JustinS Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Justin S
    Got to the Hamptons on Thurs morning, gased up at $3.65 and then it went to $3.99 for the LD weekend.

19. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    For your safety Emil, STAY OUT OF SOUTH CENTRAL !!! :D

20. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    I heard it cost $15,000 a week to fill up tractor trailers!

21. G-Gore

G-Gore Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2004
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Just got mine car filled-up. On my local Shell gas station V-Power (93 oct) is for $3.32/gal. If anyone is interested search for Lyndhurst, NJ (off rt. 3W, exit "Ridge Rd."). Just don't know for how long - those prices are valid for next couple hours (prob till morning).

22. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    driving to the office this morning

Amaco station on Route 3 West - $3.59/gallon of 93

so I keep driving, a cheaper Mobil station around the corner from my office......$3.76/gallon of 93!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are these people for real?!?!?!?

so my car is sittin in the lot with 40 miles left on the distance meter....I'm just gonna fill up in NYC

23. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Hess on Rt 23 Wayne...indicitive of the area pricing....$3.17/gal regular

At least the upward spiral has stopped. 1010Wins is claiming pricing has started falling. They quoted some prices as much as $0.50/gal. Supposedly the NJ Consumer affairs chief was standing on a soap box whining about the gouging that 3,000 people have called in to complain so she's turned the investigation over to the Attorney General. In other words, the problem has been buried in bureaucracy and the govt will start gouging us with unnecessary committee meetings.

24. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    haha, what else is new Clyde!!! always somethin!

25. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Here in Norway it's 8$ pr. gallion!