360 brake disc life expectancy | FerrariChat

360 brake disc life expectancy

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ddemet, Sep 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    What is the expected life of the brake discs on a 360. Assuming hard usage or light usage?

I've done 20k km (including 1 track day) and have gone through 2 sets of tyres and two sets of pads and my dealer says my rear brake discs should be changed. Isn't that a bit soon?

2. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    I'd assume that even ONE track day would warrant a whole new set of pads. If I were to buy a Ferrari for more than just garage queening, I would definetley spend the big dollars on a set of carbon-ceramic brakes. Well worth the extra money as these are virtually fade-resistant and won't need replacement often.

Don't take my word for it though, I'm no expert on Ferrari brakes but from what Iv'e heard the carbon-ceramic ones are amazing and last for so long wihout the slightest hjint of fade. But, I would definetley put money on the fact that the normal 360 brakes would be fisnished and tortured after a track day.

About your 20k kms of driving? Well, it certainly pleases me to see that your giving your horse a few runs, but the frequency of replacement would depend entirely on how hard you drove the car during those thrilling 20k kms.

3. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    On my 360, I used three sets of pads during 15000 miles and maybe 5-6 track weekends and then had to replace all 4 rotors for an under min thickness. during the next 10000 miles and 3-4 track weekends( I forget) I replaced the pads twice . The rotors are fine.

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Since several people have commented on rotor wear, I am curious if having the rotors cryogenically treated would be cost effective.

I am only a 308 driver, but aspire to a bit more in the braking department.

ever hopefull,
    chris

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Chris,
    Save your money:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56982&highlight=cryo

6. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    @dbworld4k: as you can guess from the tittle I am wondering about the discs/rotors, not the pads. Pad wear is normal and anyway if I was doing serious tracking I would at least put pagid pads which last longer and have less fade (but make more noise).

One trackday in 18 months is not enough to justify $10k for ceramic brakes which I am not even sure I can have on a plain vanilla 360.

As for the 20k km they have been driven hard, as one is supposed to drive these cars ;-). But by comparison the discs on my 996 (over 5 years and 20-30 trackdays) lasted 80k km...

@LouB: then from your first experience replacing discs at 15k miles/20k km is not unheard of. Interesting. Maybe he's not trying to rip me off ;-)

7. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    if their thickness is still within tolerance , perhaps you can get them
    skimmed (ie , machined smooth/flat on a brake disc lathe).

8. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Very strange he says the rear rotors need replacement and not the fronts where most of the braking takes place. I would have him measure all the rotors in front of you and then compare them to manual limits.

By the way they are about $1000/rotor.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You can get aftermarket rotors for $700 per PAIR from Girodisc.

10. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I had the same complaint about my 360 rotors. I sold my black 360 at 15K miles and it needed a new set of rotors. The problem I had was cracking around the holes rather than thickness per-se.

You can switch to the 2 piece brembos which are about the same as the stock set (circa 3K for all 4). You can then replace just the rotor piece later which is only about 1.5K or so when you next need to replace them.

Alt you can go with the challenge slotted rotors or the Girodisc as suggested.

For serious tracking you should probably change them. If you do however, that will send the "I track my car seriously" message when you do come to sell it...

No problems with the CC's on my CS so far :)

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You can get better prices on oem Brembo brake discs here:

http://www.interautoparts.com/

I saved this link from a prevous thread. I think 'bigheadeddenis" recommended this outfit. Site is down temporarily...

12. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    over here in EUrope prices are slightly different.

Anyway, I'll check it visually and decide. Thanks for the advice!

13. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    If anyone is interested, I have a lightly used set off a low mileage 360 that was never tracked. They are stock 330mm diameter and are cross drilled. They were removed for a brake upgrade.
    If anyone needs them, PM me and I will measure their thickness. They look to be nearly new and I'll sell them CHEAP. I only have 2.

John

14. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    You make the 2nd best argument I have heard for getting rid of my Ferrari. My Porsche GT2 conversion will eat any Ferrari I have driven (that’s all of the newer ones, save the 430 and Enzo) alive. At a fraction of the cost of ownership. Granted, as my wife points out, the F car is great for the ego, however the Porsche is great for the driver. I fall into the latter. Anybody want a nice used 91 TR?

15. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I had to remachine the rotors at 4000 miles, is that normal? Seems like faster wear than I saw on Porsche.