Rossi is going F1 racing in 07 | FerrariChat

Rossi is going F1 racing in 07

Discussion in 'F1' started by 2000YELLOW360, Sep 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Valentino Rossi is going to sign with Ferrari for 07. That's what I heard at any rate. Point: he is going away from his cigarette sponsor, now being sponored by a small telecommunications company that just happens to have the identical colors of guess who's sponsor? Could it be Ferrari's sponor?

So when it's finally announced that he's signed and the look up his photos, the pictures will show him in Ferrari colors.

Watch for litigation over this issue sometime this year. Barios just got hit for this, but Rossi has big money backers, and expect them to pay whatever the cost may be.

The above may or may not be totally accurate, but I heard it from a friend who has an ear on MotoGP info. He's usually right.
    Art

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

his celeberty may be bigger than that of ms. interesting, i guess he displaces ms and becomes the number 1 driver on the team. i will root for rossi. he is really exciting.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Art, there are many posts regarding Rossi into F1 in the racing section.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I'll probably be proven wrong, but this is all BS. Rossi has been active in four wheel racing for a few years now, with NO success thus far. After four days of testing (total) at Fiorano he is still over 2.5 secs slower than MS, on a track that runs sub 60 sec laptimes. If he does get a guernsey it will have nothing to do with ability and everything to do with sponsorship IMO. A friend of Colin Edwards was garbaging on about Rossi moving to F1 as well last weekend FWIW.

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
  6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Four wheel racing as in having several years of experience in an F1 car? Or other four wheel cars not quite the same caliber?

I would be surprised if anyone could transition into an F1 car and get only 2.5 seconds off MS at Fiorano.

The key words are anyone, 2.5 seconds off MS, and Fiorano in the same sentence no less! LOL!

This is not an attack on you, but a little credit where its due? I'm sure we can find F1 veterans who have been off MS times by seconds..

Sunny

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sunny
    Rossi has been car racing for years. After four days of intensive testing he is 2.5secs off the pace on a 50sec lap. 2.5 seconds on a 50 second lap is not close and is far from impressive. Put this into perspective, there is a 1min lap time track I used to do alot of testing when motorbike racing. I could lap this within 1 second of the World Superbike Champion (Troy Corser at that time), within 3 months of starting. Where are the teams lining up to sign me for MotoGP? I was an AVERAGE club rider, but on a track that short, you are expected to have very close times.
    In my car I can lap within a second of a British GT2 championship winner on a 1:20 lap and I'm a hack club racer at best.(admittedly he did less than 20 laps total, but knows the track extremely well)

EDIT:Another important factor is they were both driving the same car. With all the testing they have done, baseline setup data is well known for Fiorano, so this is very different to comparing a BMW vs Ferrari laptime, for example, where depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the car, setup and driver you may see variances of seconds per lap,with the same levelofdriver skill.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Stephen, while you make some very good points, I have to say that without significant experience at Fiorano, I doubt there is anyone employed by Ferrari that could come close to the same times even with prior experience and limited amount of time on the track. Thats the key. He doesn't run Fiorano and 4 wheel F1 racing is something new to him. As you know, driving a car that powerful is more than just going on instinct and natural ability. You make it sound that Rossi will never be able to be as fast as MS, or even another F1 driver, and I disagree if thats what you believe.

Thanks for the response though, I'm somewhat familiar with Rossi and his accomplishments, I'm not a follower, but I can't pass judgement on his abilities given the limited exposure he's had compared to the other drivers.

I'm in a mood to argue tonight, so take what I say with a healthy grain of salt! :D

Sunny

9. ferraripete

no average club racer was lapping w/in a second of corser. there is more than a second in the motor, a second in the suspension and the set up...not to mention the rider. and to go that fast in only 3 months! it took me getting my white plates before i began to get fast.

sorry dude, as an ex wera and ccs racer, if you were that fast you would have a championships yourself and may have been well on your way to at least an ama ride.

additionally, on a 1 mile track, there is less "bluffing" w/ long straights where technical short commings can be masked a little. a short track can involve much more technically and therefore expose a guy like rossi being a little green when it comes to four wheels. but never fear, rossi is a racer and a winner. he will be like other great racers that came from motorcycles...surtees, hailwood...hell even damon hiil!

last coment...in car racing, best car wins, so let's not fool ourselves.

rossi will again will another championship and may be the next legend like hailwood became when he went back to motorcycles to win the ilse of man...rossi will be fine.

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sunny
    Rossi has had FOUR days of intensive tsting at Fiorano, probably clocked up hundreds of laps.Has access to allof the telemetry etc. ****, I'd be pissed if I couldn't get reasonably close with that level of support and intensive practice. There is no denying Rossi has talent, whether this transfers to F1 is beyond me, only time will tell. My point is only that 2.5 secs of the pace on that short a lap is nothing exceptional.

11. ferraripete

rossi may have also felt he needed to keep some in hand as well. it would not have been a good thing for him to have pushed too hard too soon and crashing the machine.

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sorry Pete, Imeant Troy Bayliss, not Corsa.(we have so many world champs on bikes fromAust it's easy to get confused :D) At Broadford here in Melbourne I am within 1 sec of Bayliss's lap times, along with MANY other riders. Last time I rode, the lap record was a low 59, many club racers run 59-1:01. Steve Martin was actually a quicker rider in Aust Superbike and held the record there, not Troy. The track is a billygoat track where the 250GP's are as quick as the Superbikes. My laptime on my TZ250is actually faster than the Ducati.
    I am not, as you suggest, comparing lap times of a 999F05 against my club racer, I am comparing the laptimes,when these guys were racing at a National level on what was still superior equipment, but on such a small track were unable to turn this to any meaningful advantage.
    Lastly, as to my abilities, I qualified mid field in the Aust Superbike Championships on my modified 999S street bike, racing against all the factory teams, not bad for an almost 40, 80Kg wannabe, even if I do say so myself.

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    what's this doing down here in other stuff... it's a racing thread..!!

Anyway, I'll back up stephens claim of being fast over 1 lap... and when the world starts doing 1 lap races, he's a chance...!!!

As for Rossi in F1.... his testing times are subject to several conditons placed upon him and the car. I reckon he'll be a good enough No.2 and his personality will lift F1 WAY up from where it is right now.

When the race team in Melbourne drove a 1997 car in 2000 at Fiorano, it was 10 seconds off the current pace of the day... but the test team knew the condition and settings of the customer car,, and were impressed enough to make comment. Mark Noske was driving BTW.

14. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    Maybe he will replace Massa as a test driver. At least for the first year.
    I thought all this story was B.S. but it seems it's true. I don't know what to think. Rossi is a very talented pilot. He could do it. I can easily imagine the future hysteria in Italy... An Italian pilot.

15. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Do more research, last I read he is now within a second of the record.

16. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    This quote is from Crash.net (MotoGP section):
    "Watching the F1 practise (sat), It was mentioned that Rossi will be doing a testin session for each month of 2006 for Ferrari. To see if hes got what it takes for 2007. Anybody have any written proof of this info".
    Take it for what it's worth, but if it is true, Ferrari wants to find out if Rossi can do the job or not - regardless of what others think.

17. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Am acquaintance of mine is friends with Colin Edwards (Rossi's team mate), to the extent he has brought Colin down to Australia for ride days, in which I have participated. Rossi is saying it is 2.5seconds as recently as a fortnight ago. These stories of 0.5 sec and 1 sec are BS AFAIK.

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Apparently F3 drivers, one step down from F1 drivers, are usually 2-3 seconds off the pace of the top guys at first, if that helps clears things up.

19. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Peter
    I heard the same, but also that it is on a 1 session shot in the car, not after four days of intensive testing.

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    and you know this because...........????

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Which, that he has had four days, or that other test have been limited session times.
    Four days, two separate two day test sessions. Details on other drives from magazines such as Racecar Engineering, Race Tech etc. Unlike many, I try to have some basis in fact to my posts, though not always succesfully.;)

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ferrari continues to do test runs with Rossi, which is a good indication that they are serious about having him as their future driver. I don't understand why though: His times are unimpresive to say the least.

My hope is, that the Scuderia gets rid of Massa for 2007, Rossi becomes the token boy for PR purposes and somebody fast like Kimi or Alonso will pick up the #1 car and lead it to victory.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I forgot to mention, the data I saw was based on 1:20-1:30 lap times, not 50sec, so the Rossi cheer squad needs to tone it down until he gets some more competitive results IMO.

24. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    All I can say is that it will be a sad day when Rossi leaves Moto gp.

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I can only imagine him in a full time testing roll not much more untill he really prove's his worth on different tracks.