Proposed 'Baby Ferrari' | FerrariChat

Proposed 'Baby Ferrari'

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hud, Sep 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Been told by Graypaul there may be a 'Baby Ferrari' launched in the near future. Suggestion was that it would resemble the dino and be a 400bhp V8 circa £90k. Apparently Autocar ran a story on it. Anyone got any details or pictures?

Whats your views on what this could do to the Brand ?

2. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This has been dicussed a couple of times here with the conclusion that noone knows what is going to happen! Be interesting to see if there is more news on this car.

3. Nicola

Nicola Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Northampton
    Too many cars already.

The Ferrari name is gradually being devalued and a 'baby fezza' would not help matters.

4. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think at £90K it would be a good seller judging be the hype around the AMV8

What will it do for the brand? good question who knows an extra 3000 cars a year coming out of maranello ain't that bad.

Personally i like the engine midships, it's just the way it should be

5. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Could well happen, Ferrari are known to be looking to increase revenue but don't want to dilute the Ferrari exclusivity image, hence the Maserati second marque. I think they would try to make this a distinct "Dino" brand if it happens. I would guess they would pitch the price at about the AMV8/911 bracket.

6. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  7. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Was told that Graypaul were not going to have a letter of intent system on future models! instead you were to send then your CV effectively saying what cars you bought from them services used etc.

8. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No. Have spoke with Chris Thompson - Letter of intent for this and a 430cs will be just fine!!

9. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    How is Chris after his Lambo accident ?

Rick

10. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't you just love it when you get consistancy

11. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Didnt know he'd had one. Nice lad - spoken to him a few times.

12. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    :D:D

13. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Test drive customer wrote off a Murci with CT in it.

Rick

14. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #15 Hud, Sep 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    **** no! Wow that must have been some test drive. Was the Murci the orange one often parked outside xx CE?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    All ferraris made without 12 cylinders are baby ferrari's

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    It was the Orange one - last time I saw it was in their showroom. Had quite a few miles on it.

Rick

17. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    So I can firmly keep my "knock the dealers" hat on, this is another thing I hate about them.

I'm all for due process, and preferential treatment of long standing customers. But crap like this just breeds (further) contempt.

And anyway, they have databases showing what you bought from them and when (hence me getting the odd bit of email from them, and reminders about servicing!). Wouldn't it be nice if they wrote to their long standing customers offering them the first places on the list (or perhaps 80% of them to leave room for the nouveau riche popping in with a bag load of used tenners). And only went gung ho after that.

If you're listening chaps, and want any more feedback on customer service, drop me a line. My rates are very reasonable (just like yours).

Oh, and Aston Martin were just as bad. The V8 Vantage thing was handled very inconsistently.

18. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ive never bought a car from Gp or had anywork done there - so dont understand why i have been told different to any of you?

19. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You getting a V8 Vantage? or do i sense not any more, they do look the k9s undercarriage

20. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    nicola,i see what your saying but if was as beautiful as the origanal dino id think it would be a winner.

21. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I had a letter in but withdrew it.

The lottery of the position in the list didn't help - some being asked for big money deposits, others nothing but a letter, no chance of finding out where you were on the list until later, much depending on the dealer etc.

But when I saw pictures of the production car it didn't quite have the "wow" factor of the pre-prod car. Can't really explain it, but the stance wasn't quite as aggressive and the details weren't quite there.

I also don't think it's different enough to the DB9 in its final incarnation, the pricing was all over the place (and is only just settled, at the best part of 50% more than the original guesstimates) and the clincher for me is that Ford will not state how many they are going to make.

It's a nice car, and possibly the best Aston for ages - though for me, if it had to be modern, getting an "Aston" would mean a Vanquish S, faults and all.

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    But how many dinos were built? 4000?

And how many of these "cheap" Ferraris would they build? 8,000? 16,000?

It definitely hits the brand. They should get back down to properly capped numbers, have a well defined line up and if they want to make heavy profits, do the odd special (run out versions, racing celebration versions - though obviously not at the moment! - and then every 10yrs make a big statement car).

Very delicate balance this one, but pump the market with two many cavallino badges and it'll turn against you.

23. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Agree on this. Hate me for it but i also think they should double the prices of the cars(now ive got one) if they want to keep the exclusivity. New prices are getting closer to some mainstream flagship brand prices.

24. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Not after you've added a few extras!:D