456GT Highline wheels - tire sizes | FerrariChat

456GT Highline wheels - tire sizes

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by GTB4NART, Sep 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I just bought a set of Speedline challenge-style Highline wheels. I know these are fakes but they're quite attractive IMO. I'm curious how the fitment will be. They were just too cheap to pass up (because I want to upgrade to an 18 inch wheel). The offset is 52mm for both front and rear. Before I order spacers, I'm going to put tires on them and carefully measure how much spacer I will need to get the wheels as "flush" as possible. I saw a 456 at Monterey last year with HRE wheels that made the car look like a rollerskate - my stock wheels sit too far "inboard". Any idea what size tires suit this application best? I'm thinking 235-40-18 front and 275-40-18 rear. This should be an interesting winter project.

2. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    What size are the rims? This will have a great influence on tyre selection.
    Also with a 52mm offset, you are going to need very big spacers to get that "flush" look.

3. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    The rims are 18x8.5 front and 18x10 rear.

4. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    You'd need 255/40 fronts. The 235 Section's way to small and will affect your speedo reading. Optimally rear's 295/35 but on a 10" wheel the sidewall's bulge wouldn't look nice. 275s should look taut round the rim and the circumferential difference is negligible.

Just my $0.02

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Yes, 255/40 front,
    The 550 has an 8.5 front and 10.5 rear, standard sizes are 255/40, 295/35.
    You can squeeze a 265/35 on the front, but with only a 10" rear, I wouldn't try anything wider than the 295.

6. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    How about 245 45 18 front and 295 35 18 rear? Lots of these Goodyear runflat tires available in this size - I don't carry a spare so this could be nice.

7. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    This is how I normally calculate tyre sizes. ( a Pirelli man gave me the formula during the P-Zero launch in Malaysia years ago...and I've been using it ever since..)

Example : 255/45/17

255 (section width) X 2 X 45 (aspect ratio) / 100 + 17X 25.4mm

229.5mm + 431.8mm

Total Tyre Height = 661.3mm

For any given tyre size, you can extrapolate the figures to come up with the total tyre height and you can see that most of the time the correct upgrade is not spot on because of the availability of tyres in pre-set aspect ratios and width, 45/40/35/ and 235/245/255/265 etc...

PS : the 245/45 fronts would have a higher TTH and basically bigger circumferential than the 295/35 rears. Not Good. Stick with the 255 fronts. Runflats gives a harsher ride than normal tyres too.

Bear in mind that even with the same width and profile the tyres from different manufacturers can differ especially when mounted on the car. Sidewall rigidity and tread depth etc...Eg : a 255 section Yokohama or Bridgestone 'looks' fatter than a Pirelli with the same size.

8. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Thanks for the great formula!

I'm now thinking 255/40/18 front with the 18 x 8.5 wheel.

295/35/18 on the rear with the 18 x 10 wheel.

My only concern now is whether the 295/35/18 tire may be too wide for the
    10 inch rim. Aren't Michelin Pilot Sports supposed to be a little narrower with more square shoulders than other tires?

With these tire sizes, I'm pretty much limited to Michelin and Pirelli.

9. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    I have 575 19" split-rim wheels on my 456 (mainly to allow for much bigger Brembo brakes from a 612) but also a quantum-leap improvement to looks and handling. My rears are 305/45/ZR19 - from memory - and fronts 265/35/ZR19, with Pirelli P Zero Rossas on, and I can assure you that even this size doesn't get close to 'filling' the wheel-arches as much as I would like. However for two reasons, I am not going to fit spacers to increase the offset. Firstly, plenty of Fcar mechanics and professional drivers I spoke to warned me off this for suspension / handling reasons (several threads on here discussing this to allow you to judge for yourself, one of which called 'lowering a 456' is well worth a read). Secondly in London with silly width-limits down many roads, increasing the risk of kerbing the wheels by widening the track is not really a bonus - but this may well not apply in your case. Have a quick surf on my posts to see pics of the upgraded wheels, and hopefully fuller info, if you wish.
    Good luck.
    J.

10. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
  11. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Rookie

Sep 8, 2005
    Liverpool UK
    Full Name:
    John Reynolds
    I am a new proud owner of a magnificent 456 so i am looking for as much advise as is available can anybody please advise me as to where is the best place to buy service parts (kits) Belts ect.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Trutlands or Ricambi America are good places to get the parts you need.
    BT

13. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Tifosi, I absolutely agree w/ our calculation, however, can you elaborate a bit more on your comment regarding 'sidewall's bulge wouldn't look nice?

14. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    I'll be VERY curious as to how it pans out. I'm also thinking of getting their wheels for my 456GT and the sales were less than helpful. All they have said is that I needed to purchase a set of four 1.5" spacers and I couldn't get them to tell me how they came to that conclusion!

15. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Have you noticed some cars have 'flabby' sidewalls ? i.e there's too much excess rubber(width) as compared to the width of the rims. Example, a 10" wide wheel would have 254mm width ( 1" = 25.4mm). Therefore with a 295 section tyre ( 295/35/18) you'd have 295-254 = 41mm excess which when you divide by 2 will be 20.5mm excess rubber on either side of the rim.

Now, if it's a 10.5" wide wheel, the width in mm is 266.7mm. Based on the same section width tyre, you'd get 295-266.7 = 28.3mm/2 =14.15mm either side of the rim.

Generally speaking, you 'need' the extra rubber to protect your rims from kerbing easily and as the above calculations show, the sizes of the tyres against the width of the rims affects it. That said however, too much 'flab' on the sides doesn't augur well for handling because of the sidewall flex that occur as compared to the 'tauter' ones. The ones on the 550 looks just right. But mount the exact tyres on a 'thinner' wheel and you'll wonder what's not right with the picture. Too wide a rim against too thin ( tyre width less than rim width, mm for mm ) a tyre has adverse effects too. Aesthetically it'll look like rollerskates, dynamically, the tyre beads can be offed from the rims in corners...dangerous...

NOTE : Refer to my previous post above on different width of tyres for the given same size. Different sidewall design for the same given size..etc...

Good Luck!

16. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Have you gotten it yet? What kind of spacer did you get in the end?

17. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm still deciding on rear tire width for the rims so I have not yet measured for the adapters (not spacers). I found a place in CA that custom builds the adapters that are hubcentric on both the tire and wheel. Personally, I don't feel that any wheels "fit" properly unless "trimmed" with an adapter or spacer. I've seen cars with $10,000 wheels that look very wrong on the car. I'm going for a very precise fit. I really, really like the look of the wheels (I received them two weeks ago), however, I don't put much faith in Highline's fitting ability after viewing their post of the 456 here on Ferrarichat. I will probably use a 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 adapter in the rear.

18. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Correction, I meant "hubcentric on both hub and rim"

Also, the correct rear size for the 10 inch rim is 285-35-18, this should fit the rim nicely with about 15mm of extra tire on each side to protect the rim. Fronts are going to be 255-40-18. I'm going with Pirelli Rossos.

19. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Actually with 18" it's a toss between 285/35/18 and 295/35/18. "The" perfect tire would have been 290/35/18! I'm thinking of going w/ 19" which would be 255/35/19 and 295/30/19. If only I can figure out the spacer I need at the rear. Will be looking forward to your conclusion.

20. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Thanks Tifossi66 for the clear explanation. I'm thinking of 19 x 10.5 on the rear so with 295/30/19 my excess would be roughly the same. (Currently 285 on 17x10 stock wheels) If only I can figure out this spacer I would need...

21. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
  22. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Actually wouldn't that be too much? at 1.75" spacer that's almost 45mm whereas the difference in offset between the old wheel 10" and 24.6mm offset and the new one: 10" and 52mm is only abt. 27.5mm? It sounds to me that the tire/wheel will be 'extending' by almost 20mm?

23. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Highline says that the offsets for front and rear are 52mm but actually the rears are about 59mm. Unfortunately, the only way to really be exact is to get the wheels on the car with tires mounted and experiment with the spacing. I'm using several thin aluminum spacers stacked up together to get the correct size for my adapter to be made. Just out of curiosity, while at the shop, we put a front 550 maranello wheel with a 265/35/18 Pirelli Rosso on my car and it looked too wide and had too much wheel-well showing. I really like the stock ride and ride height so I need to get the correct wheel setup.

24. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Any update on the fitments of your highline wheels?

25. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    I'm afraid you might still have to lower your car a tad to achieve the 'right' look. This has got something to do with optical 'illusions'. Eg : Even if you get the rolling diameter spot on for the 18"s, the 'thinner' rubber as seen from the side elevation, compared to the wheel gap will render the car looking like it's on stilts! Or raised. That wouldn't look nice.
    The section/profile of the tyres against the wheel to tyre gap plays an important part in getting the 'right' looks. Rule of thumb : The wheel arch gap has to be Equal or preferably LESSER than the thickness of the rubber(tyres) to the rim. To achieve the said look, you might have to lower it maybe an inch (25.4mm) all round. I think this topic has been covered in the other thread somewhere..19" rims with correspondingly 'thinner' profile will cause the lowering to be more to get the right look.
    Bottomline is : You can't get away WITHOUT lowering the car if you upsize the tyres/rims combo and still want it to look right.

I think Christian's Ex-456 with the 575 rims looks great. He lowered it by 1" all round, IIRC.