612 F1 Tranny Problems | FerrariChat

612 F1 Tranny Problems

Discussion in '612/599' started by pdtrixceo, Sep 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    A week ago I went to put my 612 in reverse and it wouldn't go. It just stayed in neutral and refused to go into R. After manually pushing the car to get out of the way of traffic, it went into 1st just fine and all other forward gears. When I got home, I locked the car and, after unlocking it, the tranny went back to working normally, forward and reverse.
    The next day, as I was stopped at a toll booth, the "transmission failure" icon came on for just a second. I knew then, this was not going to be fixed by locking and unlocking the car (reset?). But the car continued to work fine and I got home OK.
    I called the service department at my local F dealer and they basically said, if the transmission failure light only came on for a second, there won't be an error message on the computer for us to detect. Why don't you drive it around for a couple of days and see what happens?
    So yesterday, as I was stopped at a red light, the car went into neutral by itself and that was it. It won't go into any gear, forward or backward, or automatic. It's stuck in neutral. I had it towed to the dealer, but today is Saturday, so will have to wait until Monday. Any ideas what might be going on? Anyone else have similar issues with their F1?
    (Sorry for the long message, I wanted to give a complete picture).
    Roger.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sorry I can't help, but I just want to comment that with the trend to F1 gearboxes seemingly unstoppable, it's reports like this that make me glad I ordered my 430 in manual. BTW, I saw a black 612 at FoSF a few days ago with a 6-spd.

Gary

3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Had a similar but diff problem with my 430F1.Parked in my garage in 1st gear----wouldn't switch into N to start the engine. Called the dealer-instructed me to rock the car which worked.
    Explanation---some vacuum locked up the gearbox-and I should park in N with handbrake on!
    Got the same answer re;checking on computer---"If it happens again"--hasn't yet.
    Seems counterintuitive to park in N!

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Do you drive in the city with a lot of stop-and-go situations? Does the car beep when you're in 1st gear for a long time?

5. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Newb question...

What do you guys mean "rock the car?" TIA

~Jay

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    move it back and forth a couple inches to free up the transmission.

That's what bikers usually have to do to get to neutral with the engine off.

7. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Not really, I drive everywhere. The first episode was in downtown Miami, the second one was out on the highway.
    No, I haven't heard it beep in first gear.
    Roger.

8. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Is it at the Collection?

9. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    The car will automatically drop into Neutral if you sit at a standstill in first for too long (to save the clutch). It will 'chime' just before this happens to make you aware. Obviously yours is a more serious problem but I'm just flagging this because my 612 has done it a couple of times.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My 612 has not acted up like that but I do believe their are some software issue's with my 612. It run's rough when cold and the tire pressure moniter's gone on the blink. I am taking it to the dealer soon.

11. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

Gary, you crack me up. Every time you hear something negative about the F-1 transmission you re-assure yourself for buying a 6-speed. If Ferrari did that in F-1..they would have been left behind every race the F-1 transmission stopped. They kept moving ahead and never looked back. Imagine if Boeing never built the 777???? Now everyone else has been chasing Ferrari and Boeing for that matter,

You realize I'm busting your balls. :)

Next time we go on a drive I'll have you chase me in your 6 speed...and then I'll lose you while you attemp to heal and toe.

12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I'm with gary.... the Ferrari F1 bares NOT ONE technical similarity with the Formula 1 car transmission.

The Formula cars have a true sequential tumbler shifted box that changes the nanosecond it recieves driver input.... the road F1 waits days it seems sometimes....

The road F1 is just a stock standard H pattern box with outside help. On 360/575 It's slow to shift and still does not behave how "I" want it too. (I think 430 is much better... and have no idea about 612 yet.)

On a new car, problems like this could be something really simple... like the pressure dropping becasue the accumulator bypass screw has come just a fraction loose, or something equally trivial but catastrophic.....

I disagree with Ferrari marketing putting F1 upon us... If Ferrari can't encourage drivers to drive... then who can??

I guess two pedals sells though......

13. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I think there are enough ways to get stuck in a Ferrari, the F1 transmission just adds another dimension. Happened to me in 1999 in Union Square in downtown San Francisco at Christmas time. I was a passenger in a 355F1 and all of a sudden, it wouldn't go into 1st gear and wouldn't even roll. The large, very vocal peanut gallery on the sidewalk was having a ball - priceless!

14. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    No, it's at Shelton.

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Bust away, Mario, I can take it! *groan*

I admit I suck at heal and toe, but I heel and toe very well, thank you. Let's do a track day together sometime. :)

Gary

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Please PM me on how your fix was accomplished.THANKS

17. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    I had trouble with the tire pressure monitor too, I took it in with a list of other bits and pieces (mostly light rattles, wild automatic wipers) they've fixed it.

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I have a rattle too,hope to be at the dealer soon.

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sorry to hear of this. The fact that you've dropped over a quarter mill on a car seems to not correlate with reliability. OTOH they've been having problems with the space shuttle and that was how many billion?

J/K but it does surprise me though.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Small production volume's tend to lead to some inherent problem's.No biggie still a fantastic car.

21. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I wonder what it will be like to buy a Ferrari with an F1 transmission 20 years from now. Instead of buying a wrench to fix up a car, you will have to buy a computer to fix the software.

22. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    What is it very hot ?

I had something similar for a while on CC Maser-box
    I guess the gearbox gets too hot, and decides to go into safe mode.
    They changed quite some sensors, and it went ok.

Anyway, i hate these F1 boxes.

23. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Good point about buying the car in 20 years on.

You won't be able to buy any "mid-classic" car by then (from yr ~2000 or so), as all the electronic components will be out of date, and not produced anywhere.
    Nasa had troubles finding 8088 CPUs for the shuttle, they had to get them on Ebay...

Most of the electronic stuff is useless anyway, if you ommit ABS and airbag sensors

24. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Good point. It was hot, about 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
    I spoke with the dealer this morning and they were just starting to look at it. I will post more when I hear from them.
    Roger.

25. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Also, the humidity will make things even worse.