Cobra Ferrari Wars double DVD | FerrariChat

Cobra Ferrari Wars double DVD

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bigodino, Sep 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi all,

Is this DVD any good? I'm looking for on track footage. I'm not that interested in long interviews. So has anyone seen it yet? Recommended? Thanks.

Ciao, Peter

2. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Peter,
    the DVD is fantastic. The creators managed to capture the feel of a sixties film in a great way. I can't tell you when I have last seen such a well done automotive documentary.

George

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    got a link for the DVD? Amazon?

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  5. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have seen the first DVD, which is an hour-long show for a BBC broadcast.

I am partway into watching the second DVD, which has scenes that were edited out in the process of making the first DVD and supposedly continues the story on for a number of years more.

I highly recommend these. Great viewing on a big-screen TV!

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the replies. It's my birthday soon so this one gets on the top of my wish list!

Ciao, Peter

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Well I got the DVD as a birthday present and it has an overall nice feeling. The emphasis is very much on the Cobra/Shelby side of the story. I had hoped the Ferrari side would have been given a bigger part. Very nice clour footage though.

I wondered one thing: the movie is about the underdog Shelby and his SoCal gang taking on the mighty (aristocratic?) Ferrari. So far in Ferrari books a different picture is painted of the big giant Ford taking on the small and troubled company Ferrari. It seems to me both versions are a bit romantisized (sp?) but the Shelby underdog version more so (chickenfarmer and all that). Is that clever marketing? Did Shelby indeed have to fight for resources or was Ford playing a bigger part than he would like to admit?

Just some thoughts and any feedback is welcome.

Ciao, Peter

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Also available here, and in stock...

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Ford was going to beat Ferrari if it took Mr. Ford personally using a stick to do so. After Mr. Ferrari threw the Ford buyout offer back into Mr. Fords face it was an honor thing. Shelby was chosen as the weapon of choice. To my understanding, funding was never a real issue.

I have always found it very funny how the story got spun as the Shelby "underdog" fighting against the Ferrari 500lb gorilla. What a joke! Shelby = Ford and Ford vs Ferrari was anything but Ferrari being the underdog!

Personally, given the resources and talent Ford could purchase and bring to bear against Ferrari I find it pretty pathetic that it took them so long to really beat Ferrari.

Shelby, if nothing else, is a master marketer. Chicken farmer..... right. He knows how to spin a tale, self promote AND get the job done. No disrespect intended as I am a Shelby fan but his version of lots of stories is, well..... his version! The funny thing is, as big a self promoter and master twister of events to his own greater glory Shelby was I would have to grade him second rate when compared to Enzo Ferrari! Enzo was after all the master manipulator!

Terry