Fraudulent buyer of Ferrari | FerrariChat

Fraudulent buyer of Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mark328, Sep 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have my Ferrari listed for sale and I recently started recieving e-mails from a person using the name of Thomas Robinson out of Stockton Ca. After discussing the car and the price Thomas agreed to purchase the car and sent me a certified cashiers check from Bank Of America. The check was made out for the amount of the car plus extra for shipping cost which i would give to the shipper (Paul Bradley out of Palmetto Fl.) at time of pickup. I advised Thomas that i would let him know when the check cleared and then we could discuss pickup arrangements which he agreed too. When i first called Bank Of America they told me the check appeared to be valid because in order to get one you have to have the funds available. Before the check cleared i recieved another e-mail from the shipper Paul Bradley who told me that i needed to Western Union him $4,660.00 asap in order to secure a spot on his truck. I told him i would not send any money until the check clears and they told me i needed to send at least $3,000.00. I again called Bank Of America and at this time they were able to confirm that the check was fraudulent. Has anyone else selling a Ferrari experienced a incident like this? It appears that the e-mails have been actually coming from overseas.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Turn this information over to the FBI.

3. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Never had this happen, but when I sold my Lotus, I had my bank call the issuing bank and they asked to speak to the bank employee who signed the cashiers check. They confirmed that it was a valid check and the funds were sufficient. In hindsight, it probably would have been one step safer to make sure that the funds were actually transferred to my account. On a second note, my insurance covers against theft via fraud (but this route would be a hassle).
    Contact FBI and maybe Stockton police.

4. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    I do NOTHING until all funds are cleared and I have moved them from the account I deposited them and they clear into my second account. When you deposit an item you generally have to sign the back of the check and put your account number on there, and the person will recieve the canceled check back. So if you put the money in account A, but once it clears you dump it into account B, account A is generally empty so stealing from it is not possible. I like this second safe guard so my primary account number that I do keep a balance in is always kept secret. ANYTIME someone says send me money ASAP that is a red flag and my reaction is the polar opposite, your emergency is my emergency BRAKE.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

two words:

"WIRE FRAUD"

6. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
  7. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Wire transfer is the only way to go.

8. Den.

Den. Karting

Jul 29, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Den.
    I was thinking it was this scam or a version of it as I was reading the original post. I was actually surprised it wasn't common knowledge here. I am on a few forums where it is actually a sticky to warn members.

Thank God you decided to wait it out!

9. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Turn this over to www.419eater.com and let those guys at him, or make them send you a picture with a code word on it...likeihaveanalwarts.

10. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    Isn't the California state prison located in Stockton?

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That is a good strategy for keeping the patient theif out of your money. Nice thinking Joe.
    BT

12. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    take cash only

13. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    And on the flip side,
    When I just sold my Elise, the buyer went to my bank, deposited the funds, paid my loan and I left the keys in the car in the (any) driveway. We never met, spoke twice and both thought "aint it great we can trust another lawyer"

Bought a Rangerover, sent a check fedex, truck dropped off by sellers shipper, buyer sent a check back to me for the overage...and all fine and dandy.

Ferrari went to Fl, check came fedex, big yellow truck too, Wrapped those Continentals down and away it went. $ad though.

Our Jeep buyer did the same thing, so either I sound trust worthy (am too!) or there are a lot of gullible folks out there who are damn lucky.

Like Aurther Ashe said "the more I practice, the luckier I get"

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    It was Arnold Palmer who said that. A reporter asked him after he had just sunk a spectacular putt to win yet another tournament how it was he was so lucky, to which he replied, "It's a funny thing, the more I practice, the luckier I get."

15. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well not only that, but his wife told Johnny Carson once that she always kissed his balls for good luck before a tournament!

Johnny's reply was "Well, I guess that'll make his putter stand up!"

John

16. Gman

Gman Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 15, 2003
    York, PA
    That was Barbara Nicklaus.

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Why would Barbara Nicklaus be kissing Arnold's balls?????? ;-0

Oops!

John

PS Why let facts get in the way of a good story? Anyway, to set the record straight:

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/palmer.asp

Claim: Wife of famous golfing great utters embarrassing double entendre on television talk show.

Example: [TV Guide, 1998]

The story goes that during a Tonight Show appearance, Arnold Palmer was asked by Johnny Carson if he had any good-luck rituals. The golfer replied, "Yes, my wife kisses my balls." To which Carson supposedly quipped, "I'll bet that flutters your putter."

Origins: The
    "wife" version of this is trivially false because Mrs. Arnold Palmer never appeared on the Tonight Show. After all, why would the wife of a pro golfer, not herself a celebrity, be invited to appear on television's most highly-rated talk show without her husband? This legend is based on a old joke, one that may actually have been used on the Tonight Show (albeit under circumstances different than those described in the most common versions of the legend).

Jokes involving puns that play on the double meaning of the word "balls" (a round object used in sports and games, and a slang term for testicles) have been circulating in the broadcast industry for many years. Examples include the radio funnyman who claims he's going to meet his girlfriend at the pawnshop so that she can kiss him under the balls; the baseball announcer who proposes a scheme for couples watching the game: the men can kiss their girlfriends on the strikes, and the women can kiss their boyfriends on the balls; and the wife of the sports pro who kisses (or washes) her husbands balls for luck just before big matches. Nobody knows just when or where these jokes originated, but each of them has been attributed to the mouth thought most likely to have to have made them (for these examples, Bob Hope, Dizzy Dean, and Johnny Carson, respectively).

Although this legend is apocryphal in the forms cited above, it may have a kernel of truth to it. When Palmer appeared on Tonight Show (now hosted by Jay Leno) on 11 October 1994, Leno asked him about it:

Leno: . . . apparently Johnny said, "Is there anything your wife does to bring you good luck?"
    Palmer: No, Johnny said, "Does your wife kiss your balls before you go to play?" and I said, "I don't even go to bed without pajamas."

Leno: I thought that was a tactful way . . . but thanks for getting right to the point. So we cleared that up. That's like a famous one, like Jack Benny's, "Your money or your life . . . I'm thinking it over." I wanted to find out . . . so it is true?

Palmer: There you've got it. And I don't want to hear about it any more.

So, if there is any truth to this legend at all, the "balls" joke was one deliberately made by Johnny Carson, not one that innocently slipped from the lips of Arnold Palmer or his wife.
    Last updated: 23 August 1998

18. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    Someone tried to scam me when I was selling my Ducati. He sent me a fraudulent check for $10,000 more than I was asking for the bike and he emailed me saying just send me the extra $10,000 via western union. Obviously I didin't do that and called the bank, they confimed it was a fraudulent check. When I didn't send him the bike and balance of the check he accused me of stealing his money! When I emailed him and said his check was fake I never heard from him again. Guess which country he was from...starts with an N.

19. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey

Sounds good but don't you need to give vital information where the money is being deposited??

Could you please clarify.

Tom

20. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    That can be a little hard when you live on the other side of the world.

he said the emails were coming from overseas.

21. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Western Union is used for two things.

1. Sending money to Mexico.

2. Ripping people off.

A lot of times when you sell high priced items, you get these scammers emailing you. Any time someone mentions Western Union, run for the hills. Scammers LOVE Western Union cause they get your cash and can vanish.

22. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli

No, it's in Folsom

I reccomend alerting he FBI, as it is now a federal offence for using the mail to conduct fraud, as well as fraud upon a federally insured bank.

23. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yes this has happened to me with a Lexus GX470. Particularly I had the ad on Craiglist.org.

The buyer was from San Jose, CA and had the same scenario. He never sent me the check but instead promised to wire the money via western union. I waited..and waited...and waited. The shipping company wanted $2K to take it to Oakland port for shipping via rail car.

It ended being a fraud with the guy residing in the Caymans????

I ended up selling the car in the middle of the transaction but I waited it out to see if he was actually going to wire the money.

If you need the guys info to piggy back a complaint let me know.

Mario

24. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    The simple answer is, don't do ANY business with somebody residing in Africa (ecept for SA) or some third world country, it is 99.99% likely to be a fraud.

25. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    If the shipper and the buyer are not one in the same, then they are in a conspiracy together. This is attempted wire fraud against you and bank fraud against BoA for the bogus check. Contact the FBI.