late 90s to earily 2000 bmw 540i..any thoughts?? | FerrariChat

late 90s to earily 2000 bmw 540i..any thoughts??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scycle2020, Sep 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    late 90s to earily 2000 540i with 50-60k miles can be bought for 20k or less now....anyone have experience with this car or own one...it seems it would make a nice very day sporty commuter for not too much money....this assumes the car will remain reliable...i would put about 20k miles a year on it...thanks for your thoughts

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    look at the e39 M5's too, they are near 28-40k now. I'm thinking of picking one of them up for my daily. Anyone's longterm input on them as well?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would go with an M5 instead. I have used my 2000 e39 M5 as my daily driver for over 5 years and 100k miles now and have been well pleased. I had previously used an M3 and before that an M5 as my daily drivers. M cars are just the best IMHO. They handle great, are fast, look good, are reliable, have plenty of room and always put a smile on your face after a drive.

4. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I do agree an e39 M5 is the way to go. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them. Powerful and reliable. Plus they have already went through their biggest depreciation. Get one!

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    how has the reliablity and repair costs been on these.....i had heard the repair costs onthe m engines are far greater than the stock bmw engines....any truth to this???????????..certainly for the money, you cant beat an m3 or m5 for the performance per dollar...30k for an m5??? thats a steal.............

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Be careful of the following:

Radiator neck cracks (lead to failures with complete loss of engine cooling)
    Power steering hoses tend to leak
    Trany fluid is 'lifetime' but needs to be done at least every 6 years or 60k miles
    Interior instrument cluster has pixels fade in and out
    Oil pump bolts get lose and fall in the pan
    cats failling
    AC doing all types of things (weird noises, gurggling, failing, display failing, etc)

This is what I recall off the top of my head.

Overall, they are pretty reliable. I wouldn't mind getting one. I prefer the same generation 7 series though (E38).

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    In almost 80k miles on my 2000 M5, I have not had any major issues pop up. True, if you blow the engine, its around 25k for a new one, but I haven't heard of it happening and they appear to be darn near bulletproof. I want to drive it to 250k, if I ever do finally kill the engine, I'm thinking I'll just put another one in, what else could I get for 25k that does everything the M5 does? Its a perfect daily driver, has plenty of room, is comfortable, sporty enough to keep me from getting bored, is understated and tastefull in styling. I put a widescreen nav and MKIV DVD Nav in and I can't think of anything else I would ever need to do to it.

Oh, forgot about the oil changes, 10w-60 is not cheap and I have yet to find a place other than a dealership that could get it. Otherwise nothing else other than normal inspections etc....Find a good independant and you are good to go on maintainance.

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Budget $1500/yr to take care of the car, it has a few known relatively minor issues if you find a good independant mechanic!!! They are not maintinence free but they are relatively reliable if you do some preventative maintinence (ie change the tranny fluid & radiator every 60k, water pump every 120k, etc.) The engines themselves will go 300k+, but the 4.4litre v8's oil pump has a few bolts that sometimes work their way loose, those need to be examined PRIOR to purchase.

I don't think the M5 suffers this problem, but that motor likes to eat VANOS gear (again, not end of world if you have a great independant.)

The E39s are some of the best cars BMW ever built. The M5 is the best of the bunch by a kentucky mile, a classic I dare say.

In the end you're still driving a 70k+ car for pennies on the dollar. Even if you have to replace a few foam weatherstrips and a radiator or two every now and then.

9. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    M5 > 540i, BUT ... if you want a slushbox, you're going to have to go with the 540 anyway. It'll do 0-60 in about 5.5 and it's got great punch on the freeway.

Now if you want a manual and can find one, all 540i 6-speeds come with M-tuned suspension and m wheels and nice seats etc. It's a 7/8 M5.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    But who would want a slushbox anyway?

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i am going back and forth btn a manual and auto tranny...the reason is , as much i hate autos, for my commuter car, i get stuck in occassional multiple mile back ups,...this gets old with a clutch....so its a trade off...now if i didnt have the stop and go, i would go manual everyday...i am not even crazy about the f1, smg type trannies.....

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    If you need a slushiebox, the 540i sport with the shorter diff scoots pretty decent.