Airbox stencil wanted | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Airbox stencil wanted

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alert1, Sep 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    The vinyl stencils should be in the mail in a day or two.
    Paul

2. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    Due to the large request for stencils, I played with different techniques tonight to see what worked the best. Since these are vinyl graphics and flexible the best way is to use them as a reverse graphic where you paint the open areas then pull off the stencil. That kills the stencil but it works the best. I tried to spray the vinyl to stiffen it but then you lose the definition. Well to illustrate the technique I'm putting together a how to with pics. Hopefully they will be allowed to post on the site. Please give me a few days to get this all together and send out the stencils. I've got 15 people requesting so it will take a bit.
    Paul

3. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
    Paul, Thanks so much for your efforts, I Sent a PM. its amazing what a response you have had for this item, Its great that members of this forum are able to contribute to the community! I hope to return the favor one day.

This should shut down the ebay guy for a while!

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    For those of you who haven't done this before, let me add that a long-bladed x-acto or similar hobby knife will be invaluable in "weeding" the stencil and/or adjusting and finally removing the small mask parts such as those inside letters like "o", "a" and "e".

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Oh, and you can use WHITE primer (rather than the usual automotive gray) in addition to the final white semi-gloss or gloss paint. It will help you get better coverage with thinner overal coats.

6. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    Do you suggest repainting entire airbox black first and then doing the stencil?

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It depends. If it was me, yes, that's the way to do it. If you want it to look older but well preserved, then no, *if* all of your existing silkscreen logo and text are already completely gone.

8. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    Just an update, I'm sending out the first group of stencils on Saturday. Hopefully the second group will go out on Monday. I didn't realize there were so many 328s out there.
    I've had inquiries about painting the box. If you do make sure its completely dry. I'd wait 5 days before trying to apply the vinyl. Its very stickly and it could pull off the paint when you remove it.
    I'm sending two stencils to everyone so you can practice weeding and getting the feel for the materials. also don't lay-on the paint too thick, you won't get a sharp outline. Best of luck to everyone.
    Paul

9. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Paul - thanks again. This is very nice of you. I look forward to receiving the stencil and making the airbox look brand new again.

Scott

10. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    Paul,
    Great work. Hope I can help you with a technical problem one day. Not wishing you a problem...just wanting to return the favor.

On the topic. The black on the airbox is faded but intact. I am wondering weather it is better to strip the old wrinkle paint and re wrinkle paint before the lettering, or just apply a coat of black on top of the existing? I fear this might smooth out the wrinkles. Opinions?
    Carl

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Carl,
    Spraying lightly over the orig. paint won't fill it in noticably. Just misting it on should refresh the color. If you're doing it with an airbrush or spray gun, I'd over thin it a bit so it would go on thin but wet.

If you like the results, you're ahead, if not, you'll would have had to strip & repaint anyway.

12. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Paul,
    I just received the stencil. You did a great job . I am looking forward to using it.

Hope I can repay the favour one day.

Gianluca

13. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Paul - Many thanks! I am especially pleased that you sent me two (2) of them, as this gives me one to 'experiment' with beforehand!

Obviously, I owe you a large favor in exchange!

Thanks and Cheers - DM

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    much gras as the hippies used to say!!!

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Thanks much for the stencils -- it's great to see the result of Verell's and my work!

16. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    got my stencils... i'm now looking even more forward to the weekend!

thank you very much!

17. Mondialmike

Mondialmike Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike Hunnisett
    Paul,
    Any chance of sending a stencil to the UK? Let me know how much.

Cheers, Mike

18. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Thank you Paul.
    Good job.
    Cheers
    Tommy A

19. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    Got them as well - Paul, thanks much!

20. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    I'm glad you've received the stencils. I have a few more late requests which I hope to send out this week. For you international fellows I'm happy to send some along. Due to the amazing amount of interest I'd only ask you cover the postage. Just PM me you're address and I'll mail them out.
    Paul

21. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Paul, just received the stencils. Thank you so much, it was very kind of you to do this for all of us.

Milton

22. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Paul, Recieved mine as well... ditto what everyone has said above. Thanks, so much....

23. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Paul

You have PM.

Mark

24. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    Just as a note to all who have requested. The last batch of stencils will be sent out tomorrow. You all gave my vinyl cutter a hernia. I hope they work and beautify your Ferraris. Tomorrow I start on my next project, a carbon fiber airbox for my 348 which should be a challenge.
    Paul