Dino 246 GT /GTS values | FerrariChat

Dino 246 GT /GTS values

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In the 80's 246GTSs sold for about 50% more than GTs. Much of this was because the average GTS was in better condition than the average GT, but there was still a premium to be paid for the targa top, even for cars in the same condition.

Is there any kind of rule of thumb these days re their comparitive values?

2. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Why would the GTs be in better general condition tha the GT, did the s only come out when the sun was shining!
    Seriously here in the UK the average differential is 5K
    Regards, Graham.

3. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The logic I was given was that GTs had a higher rate of being purchased by people who couldn't afford to properly maintain them, so there were some real beaters floating around that brought down the average. I think things have changed since then.

I have read that people in Europe and Japan actually prefer the GT to the GTS, leading to less or no differential there.

Is that 5K USD or GBP?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

15% premium for GTS.

5. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thats 5K GBP,
    Alot of folk prefer coupes over targas/convertables due to more rigidity in the body thus generally giving the better drive, me i prefer a little sun on my patchy head!

Regards, Graham.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i don't think a gt had a higher rate of abuse/neglect over a gts, or vice versa. the gts is nearly twice as rare and can function as bothan open car and a closed coupe. over the past decade or so, the gts has brought a $15-20k (us) premium over the coupe.

today, that gap has narrowed.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Many people believe the lines on the GT flow better than the GTS
    (where is Freeman to chime in?)

What were the ratio of production totals for GT vs GTS,
    would that make the GTS more rare?

I believe the Flairs and Chairs models comprised less than 10% of the total production, and they definitely claim a premium due to scarcity.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Denny at www.dinoregister.com suggests that less than 250 original C&F cars were made at the factory.

so at max 250 out of 3911 cars is maybe 6%

DM

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the chairs and flares cars have been discussed at length. the options were seperate options and not sold together. most cars with chairs today, didn't leave the factory that way. rather people have added the upgrade chairs while redoing the interiors.

many flared cars fall into the same category. they were created during a restoration.

personally, i do not like the fraes cars. i think they look silly. i do like the wheels, but most that have the campys were added after the factory.

in todays market, i can see a true, documented chairs and flares car bringing more money due to it's rarity. having said that, i wouldn't pay more for a car that has had these options added after the fact. i think the standard add-on of $7500 is ridulous.

11. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I believe the Flairs and Chairs models comprised less than 10% of the total production, and they definitely claim a premium due to scarcity.[/QUOTE]

Syncro, you would say that you've got one!!
    Here in the UK records state that 21 Flares (and not always Chairs) cars were imported in GTs form, funnily enough my car (07528) is a Flares and not Chairs GTs but i would'nt know what it was worth over a standard GTs, but then again i guess the answer to that is "as much as somebody is prepared to pay"
    Regards, Graham.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

The Dino series 246 GTS pricing seems to have stalled at the $100K barrier, many have approached it but very few save extremely nice examples seem to be commanding over it.

13. Tabletcounter

Tabletcounter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    John

Graham

There's a chair n flairs for sale at the moment for £85k

www.dkeng.co.uk

Regards

John

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

I see the wheels do not have the "Dino" script in them.
    Could be aftermarket or real, have to look at production dates stamped in them.

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    there are several things about this car that aren't "right". having said that, at 85k pounds sterling, that is roughly just over $155k for a dino coupe.

that is all the money in the world for a coupe.

the gts they are offering is once again not "right" and not a "cairs and flairs" car. it is 75k pounds sterling, which equates to about $135k.

the market in the uk, europe, and japan is different than the us market.

16. FLYZDINO

FLYZDINO Karting

Aug 31, 2005
    A friend of mine was in the market for a restored dino, and did not find anything at less that $115 and as much as $135, even at that, the examples that he found still were not "perfect" according to him. He never ended up with one since they all lacked something. I think he was just intimidated by the upkeep and primitiveness of a vintage car (which to me are selling features). He has several modern Ferrari. Dino drivers are still under $100, but restored (extent of restoration varies) are easily in the low to mid $100's. And the talk in our Ferrari circuit is that prices/demand are continuing to climb. I think this supported by the fact that in our conversations so many owners or shops around the country have "a Dino under restoration" currently. Just what I'm hearing, which is fine by me.

Zannos

17. stevesonn

stevesonn Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    central coast, calif
    Full Name:
    steve
    Dinos are definitely on the upswing pricewise. I don't see any stall at 100k.
    www.owners.ferrari.com has link to auction results around world. In New York, this past August a nice GTS sold for 115K. This was not a platinum car. With all the recent publications regarding the desirability of the Dino, I think the price is going to go much higher. I paid 88k for my Gold winner less than 2 yrs ago. Good luck finding that price now.

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There is an excellent article in this month's Velostrada
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/velostrada/
    with the synopsis being that cars priced in the level around the Dino are doing well while top end cars are not climbing at the same rate. There is an interesting discussion on the Real Estate market and similarities of crossover financial fueling. I'd extrapolate to say that Jumbo loan limits ($359K) have an amazing influence on car buying abilities.

19. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That is surely all it's money?,

Does not stack up though, my car first registered 16/1/74 chassis no 07528
    their car 30/8/74 chassis no 06644! unless of course it sat for a long time before being registered.
    was it wspeer noticed ( and he is right) those campy's are not original they do not have a Dino script. and their production/import figures are wrong.

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

the serial number tells the tale.

Dino register shows the car as manufactured July 1973. original flairs car with campy's. Maronne metalic with beige leather.

The campy's certainly could have been replaced along the way. Along with the steering wheel and the addition of the Ferrari stuff on the tail end.

07526 would be the 1st 1974 RHD British car for 74 so yours was the second.

So, 6644 is a '73 manufacture date registered in '74.

The cars often sat at the time for quite a while. My '72 US 246GT sat for 18 months before it was sold originally.

DM

21. Tabletcounter

Tabletcounter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    John

Just noticed ... Now marked as sold on DK's website

22. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    A little information tidbit which has caused the GT to come closer in value to the GTS is the fact that Ferrari realizing that the open roof of the GTS, lessened its chassis rigidity and therefore strengthened it to correct the problem, even with this add on the GT is still more rigid and handles better than the GTS. The extra weight of the chassis fix and the open top makes the GTS weigh considerably more than the GT and as some have said the GT does have a cleaner look. All that being said they are not race cars and most people would not be able to tell the difference and they are both beautiful cars and both considered equal by many.

23. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Be interesting to know the actual sale price.

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the rarity of the spyder and the american desire for open top cars has kept the prices apart. although you have seen a movement upwards in the dino coupe, it is following the same trend as the dino spyder. on a percentage valuation, the percentage has slightly shrunk. i do not think you will ever see an equalization unless you factor in the 206's.

25. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What is the price range for a Flares and Chairs car these days?
    Thank you