Finally sorted out CS creaking! | FerrariChat

Finally sorted out CS creaking!

Discussion in '360/430' started by stradman, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Well, thankfully we managed to trace the source of an irritating creak coming from the front. It was the front antiroll bar along with it's bushes. Apparently there was a fault with the bar. They had changed a suspension bolt twice before but the problem still persisted. So I'm glad we got it sorted out in the end. I thought it might be helpful to anyone else with a persistent creaking sound.

Alex

2. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Alex,

Thanks for sharing.

My Stradale went in as well front a small suspension issue. I felt that there was something loose in the front suspension when I went over rough pavement at a slow speed. The dealer called and said that the traced the sound to the front tie rod ends, they had some play in it and therefore the clicking sound. I will see if they solve the issue when I get the car back.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, what exactly did they do to fix it?
    How was that different than the "twice before"?

4. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Brian, they basically changed the antiroll bar and all its associated attachements. The reason we were lucky the third time was because I changed dealers. the maindealer who tried twice to fix the problem before was very obviously crap and kept sending the car back having changed only suspension bolts apparently.

5. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    My car has been doing that alot lately. At first it was occasional, now it's pretty constant. I guess it's a common thing. I'm going to get it checked out this week, aside from being annoying I rather not have anti rollbar problems.

6. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Rennen, let me know how you get on. I have had a similar problem with my Modena, that FOLI have not yet been able to fix.

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    both of my stradales are now making some kind of "creaking" noise. sounds like most of the time ther creaking is from the front suspension, but on my yellow stradale i sometimes swear the rear suspension is also creaking. i took my red stradale to the auto gallery a couple months ago and they told me they remove, lubricated and replaced some "suspension bolts" at all four corners. they told me that they tried using some "pre-lubricated" bolts they got from ferrari but they claim they had better luck lubricating and replacing the existing bolts. regardless, the "creaking" has returned on my red car so whatever they did did not solve the problem. now my yellow car is making the same kind of noise. i will tell them about stradman's rollbar issue in case this is causing my problem. thanks.

8. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    I drove home tonight without race mode because of the rain, and there was no creaking. I rarely drive without it, and just realized it only does it in race mode. Anyway, I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow.

9. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    The other thing that I had noticed before along with the creaking was that the car was slightly twitchier and nervous. Now following the change of antiroll bar and geometry readjustment the car is back on track and much more sure footed. I don't know if this is coincidental or as a result of the roll bar changes. Just thought I would mention it.
    Alex

10. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    My Stradale has had a very loud creaking sound coming from the front suspension since I purchased it a week ago. I did some digging around the archives and dug up this post from 5 months ago. Taking the car in later this week to FoOC, so will keep the post updated with what they find.

Also, my check engine light has just come on (mileage 2150). Gas cap is on tight... can't imagine what this might be.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I suspect the problem here is not the antiroll bar... but rather the control arms and associated bushings... from what I hear, its a common source of creaking/thunking noises.

My right front was doing it... took it in... they said "sounds like control arm noise"... they replaced the control arm and bushings... annoying noises gone.

12. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    umm, you guys realize that replacing these parts doesn't fix the problem. They'll be back in time, you just temporaly delaying it.

Why doesn't Ferrari issue a recall and also redisign the nessicary parts to keep this from continually happening??

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wouldn't these noises be solved by disassembly and greasing these bushings with some sort of tacky grease like anti-seize grease? Or a "high-pressure" grease?

I would think that just replacing the parts the squeaks will come back.

14. JustinS

JustinS Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Justin S
    Thanks for sharing.

15. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    My CS starts to have this creaking noise from both back and front, but it's just occasionally happening right now.

16. paulo

paulo Karting

Apr 10, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I had exactly the same problem with my 360 Modena approximately at 7000 km. The dealer replaced the front "kneecaps" (on both sides) and told me it was OK. I drove the car back to home and very quickly realized the problem still there. Next day I took the car back to the dealer and I told them that it was not fixed at all. Then they temporarily disconnected the antiroll on each side and I drove the car out for a test to see whether the noise had disappeared., …and it was! they replaced then only the antiroll bushes (without replacing the bar) and the problem was solved.

My CS has only 5900 km and has already started to have this creaking noise!

There is obviously a weakness with these parts and I think that Ferrari should recall the cars to correct this problem definitively

17. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    you can find the thread where we discussed this about a year ago -- my first strad had it RF and there was a campaign coming ...
    funny, but my second strad does not have the issue, but it's overall a better car than my first, it has none of the small issues my first one had... hand built they vary.

18. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    OK after a year of living with the suspension knocking it appears that it has finally been fixed.

I know Alex's (stradman) fix didnt last (neither did mine). The dealer attempted over a dozen times to fix the fault but soon after the knocking/creaking returned.

It appears that the knocking comes from the front lower shock absorber bolts which Ferrari have replaced with a different type (the new bolts have a different head as I understand it).

The car is now much more planted and stable (my geometry settings were completely out due to this problem). Prior to replacing the bolts the handling was erratic and felt unsecure.

If you are in the UK and have a CS with this problem you should speak to Graypaul who are fully aware of the fault and have the ability to fix it.

19. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    thanks for the update , could you give me an email address of graypaul so i can have my mechanic email him for advice

20. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Didnt last for long. Back to square 1, can hear the knocking sound again. Geometry is well out of parameters (again) and tyres are probably useless due to this. Car overall feels erratic at high speeds. Ferrari need to sort this out!

21. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I've got a penny on the floor of my CS that I cant catch and its driving me crazy.

22. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Thanks for the informative, helpful and totally relevant post. Ever thought of being an expert on the Technical Q&A section?

23. D8EAN

D8EAN Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SE London
    15hn - did you ever get this sorted out?

p.s was it your black car i saw for sale online? im now adding 2 and 2 together and coming out with 4 if you never got this sorted - regards

Deano

24. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    My CS was for sale at a Main Dealer. Its now sold. Creaking was never sorted out. They will change the bolts but after a while the creaking returns. It also messes up your geometry which can cause erratic steering and uneven tyre wear. I'm pretty sure there is play in the suspension which can mean a MOT failure (unfit for the road).

25. D8EAN

D8EAN Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SE London
    is this why you got rid?