What is it with these companies? Verizon Wireless...grrrrr | FerrariChat

What is it with these companies? Verizon Wireless...grrrrr

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by REMIX, Sep 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Their initiating a phone call to my home today was indeed my fault and I'll take the blame. I owed them for my first month's bill and I flat out forgot about it. Fine. It's the attitude these companies give off that I cannot stand.

So, my first bill is for a grand total of $232 - partial first month and the month of August. I bought the phone and signed up on 7/19. I got the statement on 8/29.

When I answer the phone I get the whole, "this is in regard to your account" vanilla BS and I'm actually quite embarrassed...oops, I forgot.

The I get, "we are requiring you pay the entire $370 or your service will be interrupted."

I'm like, "how much did you just say?"

"Your newest statement is $138 and that needs to be paid immediately."

"Um...ma'am, I realize I overlooked the original statement and that's my fault, but I don't even have the newest bill."

"I apologize for that, but the newest statement is due immediately."

I repeat: "I don't even have the newest statement and I'm not going to pay it until I can see it."

I get the whole canned "you agreed when you signed up with Verizon to..." BS and I told her I knew of no person who would ever pay a bill without at least seeing it first. My embarrassment turned to anger. I told her I would pay the past due, but not a dime more until I saw a statement. End of story. I have her my Amex # to get the past due settled and she started right back in about "this might not stop the phone from being turned off".

I finally told her, "if you should even think of shutting that phone off, the next call will be to sever my agreement with Verizon and you can invoice me for the termination fee ($175)."

"That's your choice, sir," and she repeated the Verizon terms of service crap again. What the hell is it with these people? Like they care if I'm mad anyway. These people cover their asses, I know that, but I went through this with Sprint a few years back and I have zero patience for another arrogant cel phone provider and will take it on the chin rather than dealing with kooked out billing procedures.

The way I see it is I paid $249 for the phone (a Treo 650) and I see slightly used ones going all day long for $400 and up on eBay. So if they shut it off, I'll terminate, pay the fee and sell the phone on eBay. I might lose $40 total on th deal.

Maybe a dozen people have this new phone number and I've maintained my old cel number with Alltel. I guess I can charge the old phone up and switch right back. Besides, I get a lousy signal in my house from VZN. The VZN phone still has service btw.

Am I overreacting here? I just cannot stand it when these compaines behave like this. Is Verizon so arrogant that it feels it can shake down its customers like that? I don't depend on my cel phone like I used to, so I'm more apt to flip them the bird than cave in to this kinda garbage. Their attitude was so bad a few years back with their residential service that I couldn't switch to VOip fast enough when it finally became available.

RMX

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The Verizon Wireless call center turnover rate is extremely high. For eight micromanaged hours, they are required to be plugged into their phones... now tell me... is it humanly possible to be nice with a gun to your back?

3. REMIX

My experience with them is that their billing department is just downright sneaky. Back in June I got a credit alert that they had placed an account of mine into collections. Problem was I hadn't had a VZN line since late '01 and it was paid in full when I left.

Took literally two months, 10 faxes, numerous phone calls, a letter from the collection agency and a letter to the three credit bureaus to get it removed. It fell off my CR in August finally. In the end I was right, I didn't owe them a dime.

RMX

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    All those call center are crap. I have been trying for a month here in France to get a new dsl provider , called one of them 10 times to get a rendez vous , told him i wanted to be a client , they all Bs me telling me to call back in 48h and i would get a rdv.Once i started to get pissed , they hung up on me..

Im afraid there isnt much we can do . They know we have to deal with them if we want those services and they just dont care...

5. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    A lot of facets of that company are very sneaky. All revenue driven while fronting a 'customer service' based approach. I know...I used to work for them. Some of the techniques we were told to employ were not ethical at all. But they were not recognized or condoned by higher management.

Can you say 'plausible deniability'.

6. REMIX

Well, I've always felt there should be a rating system for companies based on some general fundamentals, kind of like a corporate FICO score. If they're so shoddy in regard to how they report to the bureaus, maybe their reporting should be weighted against companies who keep accurate records. So when they report something negatively, it would carry less weight against a person's FICO because their reporting has a track record of being inaccurate.

Verizon seems to be a major offender.

http://www.legalnewswatch.com/news_359.html
    http://creditforum.org/showthread.php?t=311&highlight=verizon
    http://creditsuit.org/credit.php/blog/C24/

Here's something interesting about how Verizon likes to mess with people:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/credit_scoring_new.html

"Many major utility and service companies take it upon themselves to provide customer payment records to the credit bureaus as a "service." Verizon recently notified its customers that it sends their payment histories out in order to promote "good billing habits." Financiers and credit companies will, in turn, mine this data for any sign of late or missed payments, and increase the interest rate or minimum payments on particular cardholders as a result ... even if they've paid their credit card bills on time, every time.

This practice, "universal default," is a favored tactic of major credit card issuers, such as MBNA, as previously reported by ConsumerAffairs.Com (MBNA Turns Up the Heat)."

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/verizon-billing.htm

Sheesh.

RMX

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Make some calls and get them fired ;).

8. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Do you know if Cingular pulls this crap too?

9. REMIX

I do know that Alltel DOESN'T.

RMX

10. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  11. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Yeah really Andrew... dont you have any connections? I know a good number you can call - LOL

12. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    A minor loophole for Verizon customers who want to terminate contract and NOT pay termination fees exists...

I sent this to a friend and he said he got it taken care of since he wanted out of Verizon (since he wanted a RAZR from Cingular).

http://forums.slickdeals.net/t127354.html?&highlight=Verizon

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    No sense in getting someone fired from $8-$10/hour job doing what they are told: enforcing and executing policies setup by the upper executives.