More track days at PIR | FerrariChat

More track days at PIR

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ndnguyen, Sep 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do you have to be a member of those clubs to participate?

Or, do they have reciprocal privileges with FCA?

3. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I heard you can join them but must ask. Remeber though, you have a target on your back as everyone wants to pass a Ferrari. Not sure if I want all those guys out there gunning for me. They might do something stupid. I heard their are up to 30 cars on the track at once too.

I will go to Pro Drive days first and have Tony C as an instructor rather than other car club days for now

Mike

4. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    I have been out with the BMW guys a few times. A good bunch of guys that respect each other-

I think I paid a non-member fee and if memeory serves it wasn't bad.

A couple of my buddys were in novice and were very happy with the instructors that rode with them. Usually are 30+ cars in the novice class.

Intermediate runs about 25-30 cars and advanced about 25ish-

Since I spent about 2 days cleaning grass and dirt from the Z06 I drove last track day so I will not disclose the group that I was running with...

If you want more seat time I think it is a good opportunity.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Almost every club DE day (in Portland) just requires that you are a member of a national car club. All of them accept BMW CCA or BMW ACA members, and I would imagine they would accept (and be delighted to have) a Ferrari driven by an FCA or FOC member in attendance.

I attended the PCA event today (in my M3), but have been driving my 360 in assorted events this year. In general, everyone is respectful of everyone else. I have never felt like I was wearing any kind of a bullseye when driving my 360.

6. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    As others have said you don't have to be a member of a club to drive on track days of that club. You might have to pay a surcharge (about $30) to some clubs. I've driven with all the clubs and there's definitely no "target in the back" syndrome, at least as far as I could tell. Although my first few times driving a Ferrari (only), I did feel self-concious and tried to drive faster than my capability. A few loops or lawnowing trips cured that quickly. Most/all everyone definitely behave seriously, it's their necks and cars on the line too. One fun thing about driving with various clubs is a wider variety of cars you get to "experience" with.

If you are a beginner or have driven only 2-3 times at PIR, I highly recommend the below two clubs. They are racing clubs and their schools include a 2-3 hours ground school the night before. The track portion is highly controlled and taught by accomplished racing drivers.

10/7 http://www.teamcontinental.com/
    9/23, 10/13: http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/

- Nguyen

ps: Scotty, which run group was you in today? I was in a blue/yellow sport racer.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Nice--it was great watching you lap around. I ran in intermediate yesterday (it was the first day with my M3)--blue sedan. I had brake issues--so that kept my speed a bit more conservative.

8. NataSS Inc

NataSS Inc Rookie

Jul 5, 2005
    Everett
    Full Name:
    Boyce Goff
    I am hoping to finish my car up this winter as time allows. it would be nice to go to the track and run with you guys if you dont mind a non F car in the crowd.