Factory Visit August 30, 2005 | FerrariChat

Factory Visit August 30, 2005

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davebuchner, Sep 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    #1 davebuchner, Sep 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have just returned from a visit to Italy which included the GP at Monza on September 4th, and before that a visit to the Ferrari factory on 30th August. The factory tour was superb, I think it's a must for every Ferraristi some time in their life. I saw the very production line my 308 QV was made on in 1984. If anyone is thinking of making the pilgrimage - go for it! The assembly process is like seeing a work of art being created. I never realised that the same group of guys followed a car from start to finish. I thought if your job was to bolt on the front suspension, that was all you did. These guys are talented! At the end of the assembly line in the quality control area, a guy was even using a hammer to 'adjust' the door hinge on a Superamerica to ensure it closed better! I can't see Porsche doing it this way!

Our tour guide was excellent, it was her last tour after 5 years, she is being transferred to the marketing department. The other guests that were meant to join us never arrived so my wife and I, and brother- and sister-in-law had the tour to ourselves.

My brother-in-law is a staunch Porsche fanatic, and a Jenson Button supporter! By the end of the tour though, I could see him becoming more and more impressed, and I think he started to realize why I am so obsessed with Ferrari's. He even bought a Schumi cap and dressed in red for the GP! Maybe we have a convert on our hands.

While we were there, we saw the cordoned off production line where the specials models lie the F40, F50 and Enzo have been produced. It's off limits to the public, but I stuck my head through the door and could see the front of one of the 26 Enzo FXX's! Apparently twice the price of the normal Enzo and not even road legal.

Accross the road is the Ferrari store, where I got a new key ring for my QV and a few bits and pieces, and then we had the obligatory lunch at the Cavallino Ristorante surrounded by rows of drivers helmets and signed photos.

Then on to the Galleria Ferrari. Even better than the factory?? To sit next to a row of world championship winning F1 cars, gave me goosebumps. Also the recreation of the pits, the timing stand, and the cabinets full of F1 trophies were excellent.

There are also a couple of prototypes such as the Mythos, and Le Mans and other sports racers, dotted around.

Lastly on the way out of town we stopped at the edge of the road to look through the fence at the Fiorano track and catch a few glimpses of a 430 being put through it's pre delivery paces on the track. There's no holding back considering this is someone's new car, and the driver seemed on the edge all the time. I wonder how long the waiting list is to get a job as one of the 25 test drivers?

Anyway, I now have lots of happy memories and photos to remind me of my trip to my baby's birthplace (and to bore people with when they come round for dinner).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    thnx for the post, any more pics?

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for sharing, great account and some great pics, now that 365GTB/4 Competition car is something.....

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Brings back memories of my factory visit back in '02. I love the ladies with heat guns in the upholstery department! Thanks!

5. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Hey Ferrari 360 CS. Good to see another SA F-chatter. Where in SA are you?

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cool post Dave, thanks for sharing. Great pics!

7. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Can anyone go or do you have to be an owner? How much did the trip cost per person in total? Very cool pics and story thanks for sharing!

8. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    Congratulations on your first pilgrimage.
    I was in Italy this spring for a couple of weeks. I wasn't seriously considering a Ferrari then, but since I am a huge car fan, and was in Ferrari's home country, I decided to spend some time in Maranello.
    Looking at all those pics brings me back.
    The Galleria (so many priceless Ferraris) and Cavallino (food beyond description) were two highlights of my entire Italian adventure.

Unfortunately, you need to own a Ferrari to get into the factory.

9. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    I echo selvatico in having to be an owner but there were DEFINITELY some non-owner tourista types on our tour in July..?? How about the robots dipping their "hands" into the -270* pots! They slowed for a bit and really looked like they were taking an espresso break. There was an F1 car testing when we were there..climbed up a tree off the road and had a perfect view.

I got a little scrap of beige leather off the floor..for the type drawer display.