nick for BMW in 2006 | FerrariChat

nick for BMW in 2006

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Sep 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    BMW and Nick Heidfeld will embark on a joint future in the FIA Formula 1 World Championship in 2006. The Munich automobile manufacturer has concluded a three-year contract with the racing driver from Mönchengladbach. This fills the first cockpit in the new team run by BMW.

“For us, a new era in Formula 1 will begin on 1 January 2006 when BMW takes over the team operated by Peter Sauber," stated BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen.

"We are very pleased that Nick will be with us in what will undoubtedly be a difficult initial phase. He is not simply a fast and courageous driver, he is also an analytical and meticulous worker. Nick already knows the two sites in Munich and Hinwil, and is familiar with everybody involved.”

Heidfeld, who is currently recovering from a cycling accident in his adopted home of Switzerland, said: “I’m really looking forward to the future. As far as I’m concerned, this represents the fulfilment of a big dream. I have a great deal of respect for the work carried out in Hinwil from 2001 to 2003. And for nearly a year now, I’ve experienced at first hand the commitment and resources BMW puts into its Formula 1 project. Naturally, I’m not expecting a miracle during the first season after a new start in 2006. But I’m confident that the new team will be successful over the long term.”

Heidfeld has been lining up on the grid for the BMW WilliamsF1 Team since 2005. He achieved his first F1 pole position in May at the Nürburgring and took second place in two races (Monaco and Nürburgring).

On 22 June 2005, BMW announced it would be running its own Formula 1 team from 2006 after acquiring a majority holding in the Swiss team Sauber. BMW has been racing in Formula 1 as partner of WilliamsF1 since the 2000 season. The team has now competed in 101 Grand Prix, achieved 10 victories and 17 pole positions. Second place in the Constructors’ Championship for 2002 and 2003 provided the best season’s result.

The Sauber Team has been operating in Formula 1 since 1993. The team became established as the most successful private team when it took fourth place in the Constructors’ Championship in 2001. BMW will not only retain the Hinwil site, it will expand the workforce from a current headcount of nearly 300 to some 400 employees. Around 300 people are working on the Formula 1 project at BMW Motorsport in Munich.

“Overall, we will have a team numbering around 700," Theissen continued. "Expansion of the aerodynamic department in Hinwil has top priority. At present, it isn’t possible to fully exploit the opportunities offered by the first-class wind tunnel, because there are not the personnel to operate several shifts. We are gradually working towards using the facility round the clock.”

just in from f1-live.com

2. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Great news for Nick... Williams with a Cosworth is not likely to be a good combination. He's the only driver that already knows well the Sauber and BMW people.

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    This is great stuff. Nick Has left Webber in the dust all year long. Webber is now stuck with next year's version of Minardi in the form of Williams Cosworth while Nick is moving to better, brighter and bigger things.

Williams have also lost their key Sponsor HP. So everybody is jumping the Williams boat. One mistake of hiring Juan Pablo Montoya so many years ago has cost Sir Frank Williams dearly. Button would have been much better in the race seat and things would have been a whole lot different.

4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Hey don't knock Cosworth yet. They have more experience building high level racing V8's than anyone else on the grid and they started development on next years engines long before anyone else. They could very well set the pace next year. And how would Button in the car last year make any difference in this year's car ??

5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Eddie Jordan is equally not very impressed with Williams engine deal....

"Bear in mind that the new Cosworth people, good as they are, can only build an engine with the cash that Williams pays them, which won’t match a manufacturer’s financial muscle.

No doubt Cosworth will build a brilliant V8 as it’s their forte but, sadly, bigger budgets will dominate.

The rule is: the more you spend, the quicker you go. Cash is king and engine costs are huge, which restricts the quality of the drivers, staff – virtually everything.”

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34074

6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Ferrari must have broken yet another rule then.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    As usual you don't know what you are talking about, well if you are trying to start a flame, lets go. First off, since you have been watching F1 for what 5 years and have no perspective of history lets start with the fact that Williams bounced back in the past when they lost their major engine supplier (i.e. Honda in 88) and had to contend with a Judd Engine. Second, the Cosworth they will be getting will be the equivalent of what Red Bull have today not Minardi. Third, so what if they lost HP, they lost Rothmans in the past and signed up HP to replace, what makes you think they will not find another major sponsor and weren't aware of this long before you knew what was going on? Finally, all this crap you spew about JPM is typical of you knowing nothing. How many races has Button won? JPM has won about the same as KR, and FA, the only reason you don't like him is because he is the only one with enough of balls to pass the BIG CHIN!

Finally stop being a TROLL it is annoying and it shows off your immaturity, sometimes your posts make sense, but I guess that is when you have taken the Medication.

8. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    it appears so..... :)

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Good for Nick!

It looks like JV is not wanted by BMW. He is currently driving for Sauber and has a contract for next year and he hasn't been announced.
    Red Bull are trying to put Klien in the other BMW seat.
    I think JV has a chance of returning to Williams. Frank wanted JV to drive for his team this year but Mario Theissen was not too excited by that and gave the no no.

10. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
  11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I hope he stays, when the cars start relying on less electronics and aero as they did in 96-97, I am certain JV will find his groove. Although I don't think he will ever be what his dad was, I wish him good luck.