How many own a Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How many own a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Steve King, Sep 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    JR. Don't cut your hair! Otherwise I'll have to cut mine. A gas guzzling Ferrari no more conforms to society norms than your hair. Be yourself.

2. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    I think my cars own me!! No, I know they own me. I know there much be others. Where are you?

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This thread needs a poll.

I dont own a Ferrari yet, but I have been in my friends 360, does that count :D

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    One of the cool things about this Ferrari forum is that it can spread Ferrari's popularity to a new audience in a positive, fact-filled manner.

This forum educates. It speeds up maintenance diagnostics, cuts maintenance costs, improves safety, speed, and looks, etc.

Potential new owners can come here to learn about the marque in a way that is easier than just jumping in with both feet.

Joe Average isn't typically (exceptions always abound) going to research purchasing a Ford/Honda/Chevy/Mercedes/Toyota...but this forum lets dreamers have a glimpse of reality without charging them the entry-level sticker price for said education.

That's cool!

You want to build an enthusiasts' site...an enthusiast's marque. That makes the cars themselves more valuable, makes the experience richer, makes the downside lower, and helps build a sense of community.

And the Tire Kickers of the world need to know that the cost of entry isn't the real hurdle (among other things). In the U.S. and several other developed nations, Joe Average can **easily** afford to buy a used Ferrari, but driving said car safely (skills, maintenance) and enjoyably adds up to more than just paying $15,000 for a 1977 308 GT4 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Ferrari-308-GT4_W0QQitemZ4574701767QQcategoryZ6212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) or paying $26,500 for a 1980 308 GTSi (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-1980-308-GTSi_W0QQitemZ4575660801QQcategoryZ6212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) or paying $25,000 for a 1984 400i (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-400i-V12-8-000-Miles-Mint-Flawless-Orig-No-Resv_W0QQitemZ4575988649QQcategoryZ6212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) or paying $27k for a 1988 Mondial (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Ferrari-Mondial_W0QQitemZ4575608948QQcategoryZ6212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

So I don't know that I'd place too much (some, OK) emphasis on those here who do or don't own the marque yet. The barrier to entry isn't that high, and in my opinion more of that "barrier" is **knowledge** rather than initial purchase price.

...And "knowledge" is what this site delivers. This chat forum knocks down the biggest barrier to Ferrari ownership.

That's a good thing, by the way.

If for nothing else, getting people to get these fine cars out on the roads rather than cloistered away in dark garages or out-of-the-way dealerships improves the very appearances of our streets.

Ferrari's are rolling art, after all. Art is to be seen and enjoyed by all, owners and admirers alike. I don't care if Joe Average makes $30,000 or $30 Million per year...but I'd prefer that in either case that he drives something that improves the looks of our roads.

Warren Buffett can make and spend money by the armload, but he drives a clunker pickup that detracts from the looks of Nebraska roads. That sort of aesthetic disrespect for our environment is deplorable, especially for someone of means. He may be wealthy, but he'll die without knowing beauty...a waste.

The opposite side of the spectrum might be the military kid who goes on a 6 month submarine cruise where he **can't** spend any money...comes home and pays cash for a pretty Ferrari Mondial...reads F-chat...does his own maintenance...and enjoys the beauty of the marque each day.

That kid is **alive** in a way that Warren Buffett will never know. His world is prettier than Buffett will ever experience. More fun, too.

I want to see more of those kids and fewer of the rich types who disdain beauty in their lives. Do you want more Leona Helmsley's in this world, or more Xzibit's?!

Who is having more fun?!

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    OUTSTANDING POST! :)

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thank you, sir!

8. hpjunkie

hpjunkie Rookie

Jan 14, 2005
    INDY!
    Full Name:
    E. Canada
    You got me :0 Its late and I may not be a spelling b champ, but the message is crystal. BTW: loooooooooooooooooser might be more fitting.

9. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Im here for the Bikini thread, ferraris? who cares.
    MM

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yep, that shows the F-Chat community owning 5% of a particular Ferrari model. If that was typical, that 5% of all Ferraris are owned by F-Chat members, then the number of Ferrari owners would be easily in the thousands.

For some other direct measurements, here's some owner lists:
    156 Modern Ferrari Owners
    179 Classic Ferrari Owners
    16 Supercar Ferrari Owners

Given that showed 24 Stradales when we know the number is >60, you might assume only about half to a third of the owners have responded to those threads, so you should double or triple the numbers. And we never did such a poll for Vintage. So, based on all that, we might estimate 800-1200 Ferrari owners on F-Chat.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe, maybe not. hold on to that vette and you might be able to sell it at BJ for $2M 20-30 yrs later. i didn't see any ferraris bringing big money there. i don't view any of this stuff as investments.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Every respect...except respect.
    :)
    BT
    By the way, I would guess about 30-35% of regular posters on this site are Ferrari owners. And about 5% of total registered users own them.
    BT

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135043508&postcount=471

European Ferrarichat.com…munity

144 Members with 99 Ferraris!

Honorary Members: 2 Members with 1 Ferrari
    U.S.A. - Bruce - BWS88TR - Ferrari 550
    U.S.A. - Jordan - jordan747_400

Belgium: 18 Members with 11 Ferraris
    Alexander - alx355gt
    Bart - Bel360 - Ferrari 360F1
    Bert - Bertus
    Cal - Mor Cal - Dino 308 GT4
    commendatore - Vartan
    Dave - DavkeG
    D.B - Nigel_641 - Ferrari BB 512
    Geoffrey - bob348 - Ferrari 348 tb
    Guido - theunissenguido - Ferrari Mondial QV
    Guy - rpmtifosi
    Joren - Remans - Ferrari 308 GTB QV
    Jurgen - enzo360
    Kevin - TrKevin
    Kinnie - kinnie - Ferrari 456GT
    Patriek - PATRIEK - Ferrari 348ts & F430
    Pepe - Pepe Cecotto - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Stijn - eurperules
    Ton - Ton Visser
    Vincent - vince308 - Ferrari 308 GT4

CZ: 1 Member with 0 Ferrari
    Jaroslav - mr.modena

Denmark: 4 Members with 1 Ferrari
    Carsten - Bugattiart
    Jonas - JonasHostrupPeterson
    Per - Horntail - Ferrari 360 Spider F1
    Tina - Mrs_Bugattiart

Finland: 1 Member with 0 Ferrari
    Niklas - Nicke

France: 7 Members with 5 Ferraris
    Andrew - amenasce
    Jean - Gordon - Ferrari 412
    Louis - Louis348 - Ferrari 348tb
    Peter - ChalStrad - Ferrari 360 CS
    Pierre - mistral
    Guillaume - Shadoko - Ferrari Mondial QV Cab.
    Thomas - castex - Ferrari 365GT 4 BB

Germany: 21 Members with 12 Ferraris
    Ansgar - taunus
    Bernd - Bernd
    Christoph - maranellored
    Drew - dasadrew - Ferrari 348 GTS
    Frank - Frank B. - Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
    Heiko - HGParts
    Heiko - Afire - Ferrari 308 GTB
    Holger - WiWa
    Matthias - Matt 360 - Ferrari 360 Modena
    Martin - Martin308GTB - Ferrari 308 GTB
    Martin - Martin D
    Michael - Michael – Ferrari 348tb
    Nino - nino
    Patrick - cinquevalvole - Ferrari 355 GTS
    Sebastian - CAR Elite
    Thorsten - AR! - Ferrari Mondial t Cab Valeo
    Torsten - Torsten_Gallardo
    Tom - TomSilver – Ferrari 575M
    Uli - Uli - Ferrari Mondial t
    Uwe - Uricken - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Wolfgang - Wolfgang – Ferrari Testarossa

Greece: 5 Members with 2 Ferrari
    Costas - 360 2004
    Nikos - 993cc
    Savvas - zorzos - Ferrari 360
    Yannis - 308qv - Ferrari 308 GTS QV
    Yiannis - ferrarigr

Ireland: 1 Member with 1 Ferrari
    Tom - Tomasoshea - Ferrari 308 GT4

Italy: 4 Members with 4 Ferraris
    Eugenio - Flyingboa - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Lucio - Cinevillage - Ferrari Mondial QV
    Marco - MarcoRtn - Ferrari Mondial T Coupe
    Vittorio - Vittorio - Ferrari 328 GTS

Luxembourg: 1 Member with 0 Ferrari
    Didier - M550

Netherlands: 22 Members with 8 Ferraris
    Bart - Sharky
    Bert - bert308 - Ferrari 308 GTSi
    Bob - DrBob
    Bob - zanti70
    Edvar - evandaalen
    Hendrik-Jan - hjdinogt4register.com - Dino 208 GT 4
    Jan-Willem - jwa - Ferrari 308 GTSi
    Joop - joopjoldersma
    Luuk - Luuk 348 - Ferrari 348 TB
    Maria - Tanith
    Mick - 8valve - Ferrari 308 GTB
    Niek - niek
    Niels - 250LM
    Patrick - crazy-enzo
    Ramon - 250 GTO/64
    Rob - 308ROB - Ferrari 308GTB
    Robert - robje1355 - Ferrari Testarossa
    Roel - Dino 208gt4 - Ferrari Mondial
    Ruud - DutchDude
    Sjoerd - Sjo
    Waldo - ForzaFerrari
    Wesley - Wesley

Norway: 3 Members with 2 Ferraris
    Merete - Merete
    Olsen - Leif - Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
    Paul - Gimme Fuel - Ferrari 348tb

Spain: 9 Members with 5 Ferraris
    Alberto - abavai
    Alfredo - wimeldo - Ferrari GTS Turbo
    Antonio - AntonioMora - Ferrari Mondial
    Frederico - Fede Ferrari
    Jesus - tele013 - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Joaquin - pisafondo - Ferrari Mondial Spider
    Julio - jbanzai - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Rodolfo - Garretto
    Tony - tgurrera

Sweden: 9 Members with 10 Ferraris
    Anders - AndersJL - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Eric - pronto - Ferrari F40, F50, 360CS, 550
    Lars - Lars - Ferrari 355 Spider
    Lukas - Lukas
    Magnus - 348ts - Ferrari 348 ts
    Malin - Shamal
    Patrik - Pakan - Ferrari 360 Spider
    Stefan - Stefan_328 - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Ulf - Ulf308qv - Ferrari 308 GTB QV

Switzerland: 17 Members with 17 Ferraris
    Alex - No_Limit - Ferrari Testarossa
    Andrea - maranello71 - Ferrari 355 GTB
    Andy - Gibbsa - Ferrari 360CS
    Andy - griffith_500 - Ferrari 355 Spider
    Brian - bjc138 - Ferrari 550 & 360CS
    Chris - yfc - Ferrari 355 Berlinetta
    David - David G
    Didier - SpaceBoy - Ferrari 360 Spider
    Dimitri - ddemet - Ferrari 360 Modena
    Kai - kkswiss - Ferrari 360 CS
    Marin - MarinLabiche
    Paulo - paulo - Ferrari 360CS
    Rodney - rjdavatar - Ferrari 308 QV
    Simon - Simon - Ferrari 328 GTB
    Trevi - trevi – Ferrari Mondial
    Tuteboureh Ofrenaj - Franck - Ferrari 360 Modena
    ??? - ze shark – Ferrari 550 & 355

Turkey: 1 Member with 0 Ferraris
    Izel - ferrarist

United Kingdom: 17 Members with 20 Ferraris
    Adnaan - Adnaan - Ferrari Mondial t & Mondial t
    Al - Burriana - Ferrari 348 Spider
    Dave - MATKAT - Ferrari 355 GTS
    Joe - 360spider - Ferrari 360 Spider
    Jon - Jon22 - Ferrari mondial t
    Kevin - 456mgt - Ferrari 456mgt & 360CS
    Malc - MalcQV - Ferrari Mondial QV
    Marc - hedge - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Mark - Malfark - Ferrari 328 GTS
    Nin - nicthegreek - Ferrari 360 F1
    Phil - Organiser - Dino 308 GT4 & 348 Spider
    Richard - rviant - Ferrari 360F1
    Simon - barabus - Ferrari Testarossa
    Stephen - 456 GT - Ferrari 456 GT
    Steve - steve456 - Ferrari 456 GT
    Stig - sletti - Ferrari 308GTB QV
    Vaughan - vanimal - Ferrari 348

Best
    Wolfgang

14. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

LMAO

Mr. Exotic and this guy must have went to the same charm school. He certainly can make friends...

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Geez, I'm torn on this thread.

Should I post about ownership, or post about what an ass some folks can be here.

Wait, how about both.

To jvbjr. Ownership of a Ferrari does not necessarily make you a member of the community here. It just makes you an angry troll who can afford a Ferrari.

There are lots of good folks here. You've attacked several of them in various threads throughout the site, then act surprised when oyu get crap dumped on you.

Why not try this instead. Approach with respect, and you'll get respected. Approach with anger, and a world full of angered Fchatters will respond in kind.

We give what we get, as do all in life.

My guess on ownership... maybe 20%. That would be about 4,000 owners here.

I own a Dino, "almost a Ferrari."

DM

16. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    LOL! too funny

17. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I think there are 6-7 active Thai F-chatters and all of us are owners.

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I think Good Ol' Dave is in the ballpark, my guess was around 20% too.

19. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    LMFAO !!!!! whyo, you may be right.

20. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Funny you should ask, my 85qv was delivered 4 weeks ago today !
    Steve

21. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    The 12 Fchat Ferrari owners that I have met, have 22 Ferraris between them. One Fchatter I know owns a Diablo GT and several other FChatters have owned a Ferrari in the past. I'm sure several of the Ferrari owners in Austin are Fchatters and I just don't know about it. We have over 100 Ferraris here in Austin.

22. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Looking at the lists you can seen members that posted they own Ferraris but in reality do not, the same with the 60 plus Stradale owners which 1/2 could conservatively be high school kids with posters on the wall.

The totals above are 351 and I would take at least 30% off as fakes which brings back to my number around 250 owners.

Of the 250 owners I would say 1/3 are regular posters here, their could be a few lurkers but no way is their 800-1200 real Ferrari owners here, this site would have much more traffic. Most of the posts in the general forums are by non owners look at the the technical section which has a high percent of real owners shows much less traffic. At the extreme I would say 400 real owners here max now but thats a streach.

Maybe since the inception of this site 1200 real owners have posted or passed through it but the majority are long gone for various reasons, the question being how many actual owners posting recently is how I arrived at my number.

23. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    Actually I got attacked first if you care to review the sequence of events. When I asked about 348s originally all was fine, but as soon as I owned one and was asked to post some pictures is when the assault began. It had rained here for four straight days after I took delivery of my car, so it sat in the garage. When the rain finally broke, it happened to be a day when I had band practice, which occurs in my home. I was just returning from court for custody of my son, so I had been wearing a suit and tie for that purpose. Since I wanted to take photos of the car before it became dark outside, I quick backed it out and took a few. My bandmate arrived for practice at this time, he offerred to take a few with me in them, so I said "sure". From this point forward, your "gold folks" here decided to tell me to get a haircut and calling me "mullet" endlessly. So I figure if you are all big boys you should be able to take it if you can dish it out, but like is always the case, you can't. As I stated numerous time why do any of you care about my haircut? How does my haircut alter your day in any form? I think it goes along with the strong racist theme here, that your "good folks" have a "good 'ole boy" mindest and ANYTHING that does not fit their narrow view of correct is to be assaulted. The ultimate sign of insecurity is attacking anything different than yourself, push them down so they cannot threaten your own security. So it begs to be asked, how many of the 20,000+ members have you guys turned away by ridiculing them needlessly? Use the Windex thread as an example if you like. I suppose none of you ever made mistakes, you popped out of the womb geniuses, and continue on that path to this very second.

So you are correct in that owning a Ferrari does not make you a member of the "community" here, it is just as important that you ridicule minorities and any political ideas that are not Dubya approved conservative. I was mistaken in thinking that people that could afford $65,000~$1,500,000 might be more enlightened and that they would weigh the facts of an issue prior to making a decision. I have since learned that the herd mentality exists here for the conservative movement just as mindlessly as the herd mentality exists for liberal ideas for those displaced African Americans in New Orleans. Its like an entire community of Rush Limbaugh puppets going "yep" "yep" yep".

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That pretty much speaks for itself, doesn't it? Kind of like watching someone slowly losing it.

Not everything is George Bush's fault.

(Disclaimer: This is not intended in any way to be a comment with political content, it is just an observation in reply to the previous poster somehow linking his difficulties in getting along with the members of this community with George 43.)

John

PS I don't really have an idea of what percentage of members here own Ferraris although Dave's guess sounds about right.

John

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Um. Nope. A simple search of any of my posts will quickly show you that I am anything but a Dubya supporter.

Leeme ponder that one. On the surface, just being able to afford an expensive car does not make you open minded or enlightened, (Take a peek in the mirror for more on that.)

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. We are not mindless puppets. We are, however, sensitive to guys who wander about fchat, being ignorant and rude for the sake of being ignorant and rude.

I think I speak for most when I tell you that we bend over backwards to help each other, whether it's a question about a car, or a problem with a friend, or insurance co., or whatever the situation might be. I've made a half dozen very good friends here, guys who watch my back, and I would do the same for them. I consider most of the people here to be good folks.

If you work to make friends here, you will. If you work to make enemies, that'll happen too.

Maybe a little less aggressive approach in your posts would do you well. And some thoughtful research into the folks you're attacking here, prior to your assault.

DM