Original tires for a 1976 308 GTB (US spec) | FerrariChat

Original tires for a 1976 308 GTB (US spec)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAMMER, Sep 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I did a search and found that Michelin XWX 205/70vr14 are the original tires. Are these the only tires they came with? I know they are expensive....Any suggestions as to the best place to get them and how much they cost? Also, My car came without a spare. What do these look like and where can I get one? Thanks in advance.

2. El Guapo

El Guapo Rookie

Sep 10, 2005
    #2 El Guapo, Sep 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I believe Coker may be one of the few if not only supplier and $279 a tire rings a bell for some reason. I'm sure you'll have a definitive answer from someone who knows for sure very soon.

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Unless you drive your car over 130MPH on a regular basis, get the Sumitomo's from Tire Rack. I have them, and so do a lot of others on this board and they work great. It's only an H-rated tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

If you drive faster than that then get the expensive ones. Pirelli used to make a 14" tire that was V-rated, but they don't any more and I couldn't find anything else that would work.

5. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Are these the original tires?

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Guys,
    Please stick to the topic.
    RAMMER wants to know what the OEM tires & spare are, He didn't ask for alternative recommendations. My assumption is he's considering entering it in a concours.

To the best of my knowledge, the OEM tires for all the carb'd cars were the
    Michelin 205|70VR14 XWX

These are the only tires listed in the owner's manuals (downloadable from owners.ferrari.net
    They are also the only tires mentioned in Blumel's 'The Original Ferrari V8' which is the generally accepted reference for concours judging.

The US spare was the same as the other 4 wheels/tires.
    The Euro cars had a smaller ferrari/dino spare with Michelin 105R18 X tires.

BTW, these small spare tires don't seem to be available anymore!

7. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Verell is correct, the Michelin XWX 205/70/14 VR is the only correct tyre for early 308's. I bought 4 new ones for my car this past week. I was able to get a set with 19th week/2005 productiondate. These tyres are extremely expensive, I paid 300 Euros a piece, including mounting and balancing. I guess I was in need of new ones, my car was still on it's first and original set from 1981(14.895 km's).....

8. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    However, it's been determined that parts that need to be replaced regularily such as tires, plugs, plug wires, batteries...need not be the ORIGINAL parts.
    IE: You won't lose points on the concours circuit if you replace your Fiamm battery with an AC-Delco....or use reasonably priced Pirelli's to replace your XWX's.

In short...I wouldn't go nuts trying to find the ORIGINAL tires, when any tire (as long as it's the proper original size) will do just fine.

my .02$.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have one I'll be removing soon, if that helps you, RAMMER.

They are very hard to get off the rim without damage, but my Goodyear Pit Crew guys are the best there is!

Strangely one of my cars rides on some V rated tires in the correct size that are BF Goodrich Radial T/As. I am working with Goodyear Racing Division in Akron to come up with someting comparable, maybe a rain tire from the Vintage Racing department.......

I'll have them on both OEM wheel sets at the next FFQC, we'll see what the FCA judges say about THAT!!! LOL!

Anyway if this tire comes off without damage it's yours!

Same rim on spare here but it has the application lettering cast into it, on the Campagnolo set. The 5 Chromodoras I have are all the same, no lettering on the spare!

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lifelong relationship with Goodyear here, even before this year's Indy Fiasco sponsored by Michelin.

They make a good tire though, my sweetie runs 17" 'Pilots' on the Turbo Beetle S, I've seen north of 120MPH in that...........no problems.

But then, I live for danger! LOL!

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    RAMMER,

As everyone here has said, it's the Michelin XWX 205X70VR14s which were OEM on the US version fiberglass GTBs. My service/warranty manual was filled out accordingly. I puchased XWXs as replacements when I bought my car in January, 2002. Coker Tire at:

http://www.coker.com/

is the exclusive US distributor for the XWXs which are made in France by Michelin's Vintage Tire Division.

Prices today are in the range Mick mentioned, ~$370 per tire.

You most likely have the 7 1/2" wheels so be sure that whoever you get to mount your tires has the necessary equipment to do so. It takes a bit of doing to get them on the wheels without damaging the and, once on, getting them inflated. It sure was fun to watch!

Barry

12. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    We answered that the OEM tires were the Michelin XWXs. As Verell mentioned, the spare is a Michelin XWX 205X70VR14 mounted on a 7 1/2" X 14" wheel for the US version fiberglass GTB. We also indicated that Coker was the sole US distributor for the XWXs.

The Owner's Manual and Spare Parts Catalog specifically lists the Michelin tire in this size as the factory supplied tire. And I previously mentioned that the warranty/service manual for my 1976 US version fiberglass GTB was filled out by the dealership indicating the Michelin XWXs mounted.

If the spare is missing, original 7 1/2" X 14" wheels are readily available.

Barry

14. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    I have the XWX's from Coker on my 79 308GTS and am very pleased with them. They are now about 4 years old, still handle great, have no evidence of dry rot or other age issues, and the treads have held up nicely in about 10,000 miles of driving. They are not cheap, and they won't corner like modern tires, but they go well with the stock suspension settings and ride great. It is my understanding that they are made from modern materials and "new" molds. It all depends on what you want from your car...

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

I'm pleased with mine too, Cameron. Mine are also 4 years old. The XWXs are really our only alternative with the wide 14" wheels. And that was a good point you made in that the stock suspension on our cars were set up with this particular tire installed.

They are, indeed, made with modern materials. The Michelin website has additional information on them under their Vintage Tire Division. It's fortunate for us that they continue making this tire, even in the limited production runs they do.

Barry

16. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I am going to have to take you up on that Big Tex!

17. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    By the way....Thanks for all the info, you guys are the best!

18. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I do want to show my car, Is there any written guidelines as to what they deduct points for. Before all of you jump on me for wanting to show my car....be advised that it is well worn and regularly driven!

19. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    When any tyre is very old, it can be very hard and potentially damaging to remove it.

search corghi artiglio master tyre changer for damage free tyre/rim removal. These machines do not touch the rim anywhere for clamping, they just use the bolt holes, only the tyre itself slides off with contact to the rim. These machines are about US$13000 with attachments, so only seriously prestige tyre shops will use them.

Original wheel size is 7", 7 1/2 was the wider option. The tyre was the same no matter what wheel was fitted.

To inflate a freshly fitted stored loose tyre, which will sit too narrow to seal for inflation, most tyre shops should have a "bomb".. which is a small cylinder you fill with air, then open a handle to rush the air in... works every time, no fighting or struggling. (The worst for this is the 9" Boxer/Daytona rears)

Pirelli have a few nice options for a modern fitment in correct size, speed and load rating.

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The following is from the FCA website, and describes how judging is done:

CONCOURS JUDGING GUIDELINES

1. Each Ferrari entered for judging is expected to be fully operational and driven onto the show field for placement in the designated class. Cars are to be shown fully assembled; all parts such as wheels, bumpers, tops, belly pans, etc., are to be attached to the vehicle in the original position.

2. The owner is to be present with the vehicle during the judging. If, for good reason, the owner cannot be available, a single individual may be designated by the owner to show the car during the class judging process. To facilitate the judging, owners of pre-1974 models are encouraged to have available a copy of the original factory build sheets for their car. A car may not change from display to judged after the deadline for applications.

3. Each vehicle will be judged by a three person team. Each judge will evaluate one of the following categories: exterior, interior, engine/chassis. Each component in each category will be judged for both originality and condition. Factory options are considered original, after-market options are not. If a judge is unavailable, a two person judging team may be used; however, the same categories and components will be evaluated in such circumstances. One of the judges will be designated the Chief Class Judge who will be responsible for introductions, final class decisions, submission of the results, and feedback to interested entrants. An effort will be made to avoid judging conflicts of interest with cars in the class.

4. At the start of judging, each car is assumed to have a perfect score of 100 points. As each component is judged, deductions of 0-5 points will be made as appropriate. Each car in the class will be judged by the same team in the same manner. A minimum of 95 points is required for 1st place (Coppa di Platino), 90 points for the single 2nd place (Coppa d'Oro), and 80 points for the single 3rd place (Coppa d'Argento).

5. The judges will not handle or operate the automobile. Owners or their designated representative will be asked to demonstrate the proper functioning of components, such as doors, windows, hood, trunk lid, and lights. Such items will be checked on competition cars where applicable. A judge may ask to sit in the car with feet outside for the purpose of properly evaluating the interior of the vehicle.

6. Convertibles are to be judged with the soft top up and properly fastened. Cars with removable roof panels will be judged with the panels in place. Cars that were originally provided with tools and an owners manual should have such items available for inspection. Authorized reprints will be acceptable. The glove box pouch should be available where applicable.

7. The person showing the car will be asked to start the car and run the engine at idle. Proper instrument operation will be evaluated, the engine compartment will be checked for leaks, and lights will be tested. If there is a malfunction, the owner or representative will be given a chance to correct the fault while the next car in the class is being judged.

8. Factory-provided pollution control equipment as required by federal law should be installed and have a working appearance. Modifications to headlights and other lights to conform to federal law, and modifications of structural and exhaust components to allow registration of gray market cars, will be acceptable so long as the changes are consistent and do not seriously detract from the original appearance of the automobile.

9. Routine replacement items, such as spark plugs, filters, battery, window glass, and tires, need not be the exact original brand or type provided that replacements conform to the general appearance, characteristics, and size of the original. Tires with the correct profile should be fitted to original rims and any spare should match unless the spare is an original specially-equipped factory item.

10. If a car has unique or unusual design characteristics that place originality in question, the entrant should be prepared to offer substantiating documentation to the Chief Class Judge. Safety-related items that are not original, but which were added for safety purposes, such as seat belts, fire extinguisher, side view mirror, or alarm system, will be acceptable provided the installation of such items is neat, unobtrusive, and does not detract from the original appearance of the automobile. This also applies to audio-visual and telecommunications equipment.

11. The key purpose of the concours is to promote the preservation of the Ferrari in its original state. Therefore, the primary focus of the judging will be on originality, authenticity and condition with secondary emphasis on cosmetics. Deductions will be made for over-restoration; extravagant paint and extra plating detract from originality. Spyder conversions and unauthorized rebodies are ineligible for judging. Over-cleanliness is unnecessary; some slight road dust and wear is to be expected. Ferraris are meant to be driven.

Please note Item #9 in reference to the tires.

I apologize for the long post.

Barry

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Ditto. That's what I said in my post.

22. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Two tyres were approved by Ferrari for the 308 GTB for the 1976 model year. Irrespective of the market there were:

1. Michelin 205/70-VR14 XWX
    2. Goodyear 205/70-VR14 Grand Prix 800.

Lets ignore the Goodyear, it not possible to buy these, long out of production. That leaves the XWX which is an exceptional 14" tyre...provided it is fresh. The current production XWX's have a very low tread wear index (100) which is super soft and grippy, much more grip than the original compound. Great for the car and great for the concour.

When fitting an XWX it is mandatory that the tyre fitter uses a PH neutral bead wax. Most tyre shops, being staffed by troglodytes and people who simply don't care, use either watered down soap flakes or the cheap wax. Both of these are quite caustic and are excellent at corroding the inside of the wheel where the tyre is mounted. The cause a gradual air loss as the wheel corrodes from the inside because of the high magnesium content of the wheel. Insist on the fitter using a machine that does not clamp the inside of the rim with steel jaws. Once that happens, the corrosion process begins as the paint layer is broken.

I know this is a little off topic but if you are going to the trouble of concour entry, get it right the first time!

23. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    #23 AFire, Sep 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    Yes Carl, you are right, the XWX are like glue, great tires and best choice.
    Heiko

25. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Is your car Euro spec? I read US cars came with full size spares.