328 gauges | FerrariChat

328 gauges

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zebra308, Sep 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    O.K. I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. A while back I remember reading a post concerning the jumping readings of the tach,speedo,etc.

Last night when I turned on the headlights, all of the gauges went into Bermuda Triangle mode. The tach began to jump a few thousand rpms when I reved the motor. The speedometer ( which never reads accurately to begin with) added a few mph.
    The most alarming thing was the temp. gauge. I just had the radiator repaired and figured the car was going to overheat due to an air pocket/ bleeding issue.
    I never got a reading over 195 until last night. Typically it ( temp gauge) would stay to the left of the center reading. After I turned on the headlights it never went under 195.

Has anyone else experienced this ? What's the cure?

Thanks,
    Will

2. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I experienced this with my old 87 Mondial (sold it years ago... it's probably a parts car by now). I fixed it by replacing the fuse box.

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Will:
    It could also be a bad ground. When the lights go on they are "sucking" ground from other circuits. You may want to try running some alligator clip supplimental ground jumpers first at the headlights then in the dash--can't have too many grounds and if there are not enough, DC circiuts will ground through another circuit.
    If a temporary ground strap removes the problem, then you may want to find some of your existing ground posts and clean/reconnect them. Bad grounds can cause a lot of electrical problems.

Mark