'74 Dino engine rebuild | FerrariChat

'74 Dino engine rebuild

Discussion in '206/246' started by stevesonn, Sep 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevesonn

stevesonn Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    central coast, calif
    Full Name:
    steve
    Thanks for all the responses to my post a couple of weeks ago. I have the Dino with 3 recently demised cylinders. The car just doesn't perform to well with 3 out of 6. What were they thinking when they designed this engine. I swear she has a frown on her face as she sits idle in my garage.

I received a fair amount of response regarding California ferrari mechanics qualified to do the rebuild. Interestingly enough, the best option was one I found on my own. The car is being flatbed carried to Tijuana, Mex. next week. Found a guy who works on ferraris that speaks pretty good english.
    He said he could turn the car around in about 2 weeks for 5,000.00. This is alot cheaper and faster than the California shops.

Seriously, I'm really not that insane. The car is going to be worked on by Jack Bianchi in Santa Barbara. Spoke with him, Kevork Hazarian and a guy with Patrick Ottis. They all sound quite capable, but Santa Barbara is closest to my home. I wish it was going to be 2 weeks and 5 grand. Probably more like 12-15g's.

Can't wait to get my baby back, better than new. It'll be a few months, but I'll be seeing you on the back roads and coastal highways of the Central Coast.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Do you really think you will ever see your car again? :). 3 weeks from now I see it being used as a taxi on some backstreet dirts road playing mexicano music on the jimmy-rigged 8 track. It will still be running short 3 cylinders...

3. stevesonn

stevesonn Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    central coast, calif
    Full Name:
    steve
    I see a very happy Mexicano pimp cruising the barrios of TJ.

4. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Good choice as I don't think the former option is realistic. So hope you are happy once it is done. Good luck.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are you sure the cylinders are "demised"?
    If this is the just the Top end, then you could take the heads off and deliver them to a competent machinist.

One of the values of a good mechanic is to properly diagnose the problem, another is the value of chosing replacement parts.

There was a previous post about DIY and the point was made that these cars are not extremely complicated, but still need to chose "competence".

6. stevesonn

stevesonn Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    central coast, calif
    Full Name:
    steve
    The car is going to a very competent mechanic named Jack Bianchi in Santa Barbara California. He has the expertise to get the job done right.
    The Mexico comment was an attempt at humor.
    I did check the compression on the three suspect cylinders and they are all producing a big "0".
    Time to let the expert do his thing and get it right.
    I do understand that the Dino V6 engine is technically fairly simple. That would be the case for a seasoned mechanic. I'm lucky enough to have one willing to do the job.
    As for me, my seasoning is not in the automotive engine field. I'm lucky enough to own this car and have the finances to have the real experts take care of the difficult issues.