550 with check engine light. | FerrariChat

550 with check engine light.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by alican1, Sep 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alican1

alican1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Ali
    Good morning,

Took the car out last night and the check engine light came on along with the engine picture.

The gauges do not show a problem, nothing out of the abnormal.

Gas cap is on tight.

I use Esso Hi Octane Gas.

Car drives fine.

I have checked all of past posts on the check engine issue and it seems to be an issue with 550’s, but not a serious one and nothing to get excited about.

Candidly I am not very mechanical so next option is to take the car in.

Question, reading the forum, this is a common 550 problem, is that the general opinion?

Alican1

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    common occurrence.

get it checked regardless though.

doody.

3. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    LOL, what a coincidence!

I went to take her out for a drive last night, and same thing happened to me as well!
    This IS a common problem with the 550's (from what I've heard), most times its either/...
    -Gas cap loose (youve tried that)...
    -engine comp needs reset/recycle...try battery disconnect for 20 mins...then try again..might be all better!
    -O2 sensor on the fritz (dealer needs to check out this one)

Bottom line, if youve checked your gas cap, and tried a battery disconnect and it still hasnt solved the problem...your better off taking it to the dealer.
    Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...its probably just a sensor, so dont take it too hard.

good luck,

goldy

4. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    You can get a code scanner from auto parts store for $100-150. Plug it into the OBD2 port and it'll read the code to tell you what's wrong with the car. A dealer or indept shop can do the same for you too.

After you pick up the code, you can search here to find what's the cause. You can either keep the code on the car for future diagnostic or erase it with the scanner.

5. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    MEOW MEOW MEOW

My cats were cooked last time that light came on

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Just got a CEL + "the engine malfunction" light on tonight when leaving from work, cold car, no limp mode, car's running as usual.

I understand that it can be anything (including a display of solidarity for the tibetans), but if it was an O2 sensor (or some other "real" problem), how damaging could it be to drive the car further ? Could I damage the cats if some of the O2 sensors are down or dirty ?

I am trying to assess how urgently i need to book the car in.

7. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    After connecting an SD2, we found that there were 8 error codes in the memory.
    My mech suspected that the battery is getting a bit weak and that, when starting the engine, the starter runs fine but the battery voltage dips, causing the ECU to record all sorts of faults with peripherals which are otherwise running fine. We cleared the error codes, CEL has not come back since.