Can a modern Ferrari be stolen... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Can a modern Ferrari be stolen...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kev 355, Sep 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #26 CMY, Sep 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Stealing cars is a lot easier than everyone thinks. Every anti-theft device can be gotten around and very quickly. Unfortunately having lived in Las Vegas and now in Tucson, I've seen car thefts in progress. They are in and out so quick you wouldn't think anything of it unless you knew what you were looking at. Its sad but true no car is truly safe when a professional car theif is trying to get it. Even getting a replacement set of keys for a car you want to steal is easier than you would imagine. I won't post how to do it just incase anyone gets a dumb idea from it, but all I'm saying is ANY car can be stolen.

Mark

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Mine and everyone else in that thread.....

WAIT A MINUTE......THIS HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE BY A BANNED MEMBER.....

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    LOL!!!!

5. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    You just can't look away can you.....

View Profile: jvbjr
    Silver Subscribedjvbjr
    Formula Junior
    Last Activity: Today 02:18 PM
    Viewing Thread Can a modern Ferrari be stolen... @ 02:18 PM

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    View Profile: jvbjr
    Silver Subscribedjvbjr
    Formula Junior
    Last Activity: Today 02:22 PM
    Viewing Thread Can a modern Ferrari be stolen... @ 02:22 PM

How long does it take to wash a mullett?

7. quattro

quattro Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel Kelly
  8. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.

LOL, even more impressive...you had the abuse ready 9 minutes BEFORE his original post!

We are not worthy.....

9. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    From P&R

In Sears next to the barber shop YOU don't visit Mullett Boy?

Money well spent.....BBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! !!!

Next time buy a Dungeon Masters Guide

10. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    what he said....i saw this whole thing on tv about how u can try everything to keep ur car from getting stolen....
    they used a MB with all that crap that comes with it (like the lazer key thing and the chip that goes into ur walet)
    then they put a VIPER in it, LoJACK, the Club, the foot/goes on the brake club thing. 2 hiddin bottons (for starting the car)...and the list goes on...

any who they tape this guy trying to get in ( i 4got what the time was, but he stole it fast) without a ding or dent on it...

11. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    Shows a really pathetic existence I'd say, but don't quote me on that because I've never claimed to be an "expert" about anything.

12. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    #37 matteo, Sep 21, 2005
    Whatever....You are the one sending me e-mail [email protected]

http://www.collegedate.com/profiles/DivinginAfrica.htm

Hi, my name is simonsezso. I am 33 years old. My hair is brown. I have blue eyes. I am 5 feet, 9 inches tall. The school I go to is called Seton Hall University [ South Orange, New Jersey ].

Tired of lame college guys with no $$$$? Tey this 33 year old successful male for real dates out on the town!

To send me an email, do a name search for my name and then click on the "Email Me" link
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
  14. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

I think thats the point everyone has been trying to make to you, unfortunately it passed over your mullet covered head. Advice flows from your mouth faster than **** through a goose. It doesn't matter the topic, you have an opinion and want to tell everyone about it regardless of any grounding in fact, intelligence, or just common sense. Just off the top of my head you've shared your wisdom on personal taxes, government policy, religion, financing, running a small company, running a big company, corporate politics, Ferrari valuations, and hair styles.

If you found yourself sitting next to a person who running their mouth about every topic under the sun, don't you think you'd be a little annoyed? Why should it be any different on the internet? The fact that you are horribly wrong most of the time and posses the IQ of lab rate only makes things worse for yourself.

Unlike your old principal who bailed you out everytime you got your ass kicked in the school yard, the moderators are not going to help you. I suggest you start over, reintroduce yourself, and be a little more polite. I'll help you get started, just cut and paste:

Hi, my name is Joe. I live in New Jersey and I really like Ferraris. I never made more than $20K/year before, but I was lucky enough to have had successful parents. I couldn't run the family business well enough to turn much of a profit, so I threw in the towel and sold the business for big bucks. So here I am, a new Ferrari owner!

I don't know much about the make, but I bought one hoping to make up for my failed marriage, bad haircut, and poorly fitting clothes. I joined F-chat hoping to learn more about the car and maybe even learn some social graces, so please be patient with me. Overtime I will learn to stop offending Hispanics, blacks, and Jews but it won't happen overnight. Moderators, please ban me for three days each time I do something stupid. I'm a slow learning, but eventually I'll figure it out. Thanks for your consideration.

15. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Of course a modern Ferrari can be stolen.

All it takes is a professional. We're not dealing with the space shuttle, here.

16. kev 355

kev 355 Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks to those who replied on topic. My original post asked if a Ferrari could be stolen aside from putting it on a flatbed, which some posters chose to ignore and say it could just be put on a flatbed.

Anyway, I'm assuming that if a thief would be able to take the car, then they would know about disabling the remote code. I think that's what I was trying to get across in my original post. Not being a car thief, I am sometimes amazed that these criminals know every trick in the book.

Chalk it up to my naiveté.

17. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    Usually when I think of a criminal like a car thief, I picture some idiot highschool drop out.
    When I think a little more though, a lot of them are most likely very clever, knowing all kinds of tricks.

If this is the case, it's sad that they don't put their mind to better use.

Anyone who would steal a Ferrari might have a brain but no heart.

18. Jericho574

Jericho574 Karting

May 21, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans
    Gone in 60 Seconds!....Need I say more lol

19. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It depends on how the security is done.

1) If the alarm code receiver is a physically separate electronic block that receives the RF code and sends a signal by wire to the ECU to enable fuel flow, then it should be fairly simple for a knowledgable and prepared thief to cut that wire and jumper an appropriate signal to replace it. There are a number of bypass schemes available on the web for similar fuel cutoff systems, e.g. GM PassLock, etc.

2) If the alarm code receiver is integrated on the same PCB as the ECU, then it is still conceptually the same procedure, but requires tools to hack a PCB, which is a lot harder on the spur of the moment but easy with some undisturbed time.

3) If Ferrari were really security conscious, then the alarm code receiver and the ECU would have a non-repeating secure protocol which would not be easily jumpered whether as a separate circuit block or on the same PCB. This is the kind of security used in cable and satellite set-top boxes with "smart cards" and even then these can be hacked, but it takes real knowledge, equipment and persistence. BTW - this kind of protocol is what is used to communicate between the key fob and the alarm code receiver. That way an RF sniffer can't be used to monitor for a code and just echo the code.

I doubt that Ferrari does more than #1 or possibly #2. They're probably only trying to discourage "dumb" thieves.

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What do you think they would tell you at Algar?

21. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It wasnt stolen off the lot, the guy took it for a test drive and when the dealer wanted to switch back to driver seat, dealer got out and he took off. Your not gonna catch an F50. It was on a boat in Jersey in 40 mins.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    So then, your answer is an emphatic....YES!

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #48 wax, Sep 21, 2005
    Just nailed it on the head
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    LMOA...Hollywood. Yes.

25. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Only stupid people think locks stop thieves. Any car may be taken. What the odds are, talk to an insurance company. They are very interested in the odds.

12 cylinders or walk.