Flaming Posts, Outright Attacks and a big "I'm Sorry" | FerrariChat

Flaming Posts, Outright Attacks and a big "I'm Sorry"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by matteo, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    All

In light of recent events with a certain user, JVBJR, I need to say I am sorry to the FChat community.

Even though JVBJR had crossed the line with racial and downright nasty posts to other users over the past 4 weeks, I had no business attacking a user like that whether they deserve it or not.

It brings down the community as a whole when jokes go to far.

I crossed the line yesterday. It is not exceptable and I offer my apology to the fchat community.

Matt

2. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what ?????

3. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    Matt, the fact that you thought about it and took the initiative to make this post speaks volumes of your character. Apology accepted.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Matt and I have been talking back and forth. Although the user was asking for some trouble and many users were involved, there is no reason to take the attacks to the level they went.

I'm handling Joe on another level, but Matt still crossed forum rules whether Joe deserved it or not. Matt has gracefully accepted a temporary ban and we should appreciate his apology. There are better ways to handle a rouge user than what happened.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You and I have talked about this before young man!!!

Maybe a time out on the steps would work.

Really. I have to admit, I didn't think much of jvbjr, but you did push a bit hard.

He, of course, was from the "I can dish it out, but I can't take it" group, so I see this as a "no harm - no foul" event.

Nice touch though, backpeddling after the dirty deed is done. :D

Dave M.

6. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    matteo, your a true gentleman for posting thread !!!

7. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    rouge, is that what we call a rogue user in Ferrari land? :)

8. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Damn, now I have to go find the thread to check out all the dirt for myself!!

Matt, kudos for stepping up.

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

I was pondering that one as well... :D

10. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I'm not too mad at you Matt. :)

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Looks like Matt fell on the sword..........

I think this is probably the right thing to do. Small price to pay, wouldn't you say? I did not see the other user making a positive contribution to the forum.

I will gladly do a day of Matts' time if you pardon him early.

12. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Matt, well done. I admire you stepping up like this. The following is not directed at you; that said, rant mode on:

In general I think there is a certain gang of very established regulars on this site who take a little too much amusement in discussing fellow members rather than staying on topic (Ferrari/Ferrari culture). While I agree that any asshat trolls should be dealt with, going out of your way to pick on other members over and over again is uncalled for and IMO disrespectful to the forum as a whole.

Some of these regulars might be all fun and games, but their behavior invites copycats and suddenly this becomes another s#!t-slinging forum. Maybe I'm giving too much credit, but I expect more from a group like this, and I for one always try to keep respect for the forum in mind whenever I post.

13. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    i second that.....

14. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    You're still my hero.

15. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    "Never fall on your sword in the semifinals."

16. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    As a new guy, to the community I think that Matt's character is why Ferrari Chat is different than other forums. I do second the comment that as I start to read an interesting thread it defaults to either smart sarcasm or personal messages between members or even into a different subject that the original topic. Its hard to control that but a technical discussion is not the place to be reading about social outings there are other places in the board for that or actually talking to each other by email or phone I know that I dont have the seniority to be making these kind of comments but I do enjoy reading the threads and have gained a great deal of knowledge in the pasy six months , so forgive the new guy.

Thanks
    Martin

17. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Can someone print some FREE MATTEO T-shirts?

Worked for Ms. Ryder. I'd like to buy one! Maybe incorporate the F-Chat logo.

John

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Rob, I will take one of Matt's banned days if you like, I think the guy is pretty funny and although he steps over the line once in a while (i.e. Jimmy and Patrick), I believe the Troll Joe had it coming. Either way, will miss Matt's post for the next few days.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I saw no sport in this one..........

20. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005

Completely agree........ Well done Matteo

21. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    it takes a man to say sorry why have said it

ha ha ha

its only words on a screen so why worry

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

your a good man matt. and you are by all accounts...funny as hell and add so much to this site.

they guy was still a troll however and kinda deserved the blasting!!!

23. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    I'm fairly new to this forum, and mostly just lurk around to get a feel for the members and see what is being discussed. I have noticed that many of the posts lately seem a lot more nasty and personal (not to mention off-topic) than they need to be, which can be kinda intimidating to a newbie. So, Matt, your apology is comforting, and hope it's contagious.

24. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    If it was so bad, why not delete the thread?

Delete both of these threads IMO.

However, that would eliminate the possibility of "atta boy's".

25. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    Actually a true gentleman would have said in the Leland West thread that they jumped the gun on their b*ll**** comment and since independent verification had supported my statement. I sent him a e-mail asking him to retract that attack, and his gentelemn's response was to take that as the green light to attack everything about me, go web hunting trying to find any tidbits of info on me, and then try to associate all types of things to me. I have not seen any gentlemen type behavior, he has not apologized to me, he got in trouble with Rob so he apologized to you in an effort to reduce his sentence.

The only reason I am even here and responding is because Rob sent me an e-mail informing me of his apology, which I mistakenly took to mean he was actually apologizing to the victim, which would have been me. If this is your idea of a good man, it shows that you and I have nothing in common other than Ferrari ownership and as such I should not be here.