360 with broken belt history | FerrariChat

360 with broken belt history

Discussion in '360/430' started by nt6d, Sep 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A question from a newbie;
    A 360 coupe I am interested in turned out to have a broken belt history.
    I guess the car had the timing belt failure (late 2004) and went thru an engine overhauled (over $15K by FoSF). Is this something I should concern? Should I pass this one and look for another one? It’s 99 Red/Blk 6 sp manual w/ around 10k miles ($123K).

Cheers,

Chris

2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    FoSF does excellent work, the car has all new valves at this point, I would not be afraid of it...

IMHO, no reason to not buy it, I do not believe it should impact the cars value.

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    This is the first 360 belt failure I've heard about.

There are plenty of 360s on the market whose engines haven't had to undergo the stress of a belt failure. Let 'em sell this one to someone else...

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

I am in agreement...properly repaired and by a FNA dealer, would not concern me in the least. Of course I would make a deal of it, and negotiate a discount from the current owner... ;)

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Possibly more likely a variator or tensioner failure to be specific, but same deal.

Pistons are very strong on top, even if only the head(s) were re-built due to valve damage I wouldn't worry.

You can use a bore scope to look at the piston crowns and combustion chambers to see if any evidence is there. If chamber is damaged, slim chance of valve seat falling out perhaps, but otherwise feel safe.

6. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    I don't think its worth the risk. Look for other cars.

7. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    If the car was properly repaired, it's as good as new at the time the work was completed. I'd not be affraid. If you are confident in the work of FofSF, go ahead and get your car.

8. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Formula Junior

May 26, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    I would still consider the car, BUT the price is definately on the HIGH side for a "99. ! (Even one with NO stories!)

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

IMO for a '99 that's a so-so price for a car with that kind of history. OTOH, if I was stealing it I'd go for it.

10. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you like the car -- have the dealer throw in the Ferrari "power cube" extended warranty as part of the deal.

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    agree....priced at least 10k too high given the history...JMHO.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The marketplace is full of virgin 360's.

Just say no.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I would check on that, I heard only 4 valves were replaced

14. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    This 360 has a story and it is this:

Cam Variators gave way on 4th of July weekend 2004. The owner was reving to about 6K when the engine shut down in Lake Tahoe.

Flat bed to Ferrari of S.F. where it underwent $20K of repairs to get the engine back up and running.

I made an offer to buy the car October 2004. He was to bitter to sell and sent it to Sport Haus in Reno Nevada to be consigned. It sat there for sale at $128K up until 2 weeks ago.

A new consignor located in Reno...lives in Rocklin California is now selling it for the owner. Asking is $123K

The hood has been re-painted and a new windshield installed. My recollection is also the drivers door has been re-painted.

I spoke with the owner (not consigner) back in October last year. He lives out of the country 6 months out of the year and was disgruntled over the entire experience (can't blame him.)

The car is ok...condition. Not the prom queen.

It is a driver and repaired 100% correctly with no worries. I saw it getting worked on last year.

It only has a challenge grill ...no other options.

That's it end of story. I called on it too out of curiosity. The new consigner is a good guy and what he doesn't know...he gets from the owner.

The car has had a little issue's...big deal. Buy it right and it will probaly last many miles.

15. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for all the replies.

Special thanks to Mario for very detailed background info on the car.
    I also have received a couple of PMs with more untold stories.

At the moment I have decided that I will let this one go and continue on with my search.

I was just amazed with all the info I was able to get from fellow F-chatters

Again, many thanks to everyone who replied.

Chris

16. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Wow .... this car might be the missing link? The first f-car with actual documented "proof" of a t-belt failure? ha ha.