Oil overflow | FerrariChat

Oil overflow

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by walawdog, Sep 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am going to do an autocross this weekend and wanted to know if I overfill my sump, I understand that the oil might get pumped out of the engine. The questions is this: If this happens, will it come out of the vapor separator and if so, will it be pumping out of the line that goes into the airbox? I also read in a previous post that the trannyvent can pump out some oil. Where does this vent line run to? Please give me a clue.

Thanks

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Which engine? Dry or wet sump set up?

3. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    It's a 1978 308 wet sump.

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The air box breather hose connection comes from the top of the separator. You can disconnect it and plug the filter intake hole as it will suck unfiltered air in. Then re-route a new piece of hose into a new catch tank which you must make and fit.

The gearbox breather as std is a spring loaded capped metal hat on the bell housing. You can rip off the cap with pliers and run some 10mm hose off the spout into the same catch tank, which you need to fit to the baulkhead somewhere.

You can make the catch tank out of an old plastic bottle if it's only temporary, but a nice aluminium one will not break the bank. Just get a local fabricator shop to do it.

If you set your oil level carefully when hot, to be 20mm over max, you won't get oil surge and you wont get oil blowing out the breather either.

Drive the car until the oil is hot, stop engine and dip straight away. Set level to be 20mm over max (a bit less if you add lots of cold oil). Run the engine again and re check the level.

Then enjoy your track time. Check the level after every 30 minutes of track time.

25-30mm over max on a 308 and you'll get into danger area with oil blowing out the breather.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Phil, I've slept since I last looked at the parts book, but wasn't there also a factory change to the sump pan that happened on newer cars that helped with the right turn oil starvation issue? I want to say around 1979/1980 MY.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I thought it was in 1986...it was called the 328. ;)

7. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    That is the info I was looking for, thanks. After researching all the threads, it seems that the 328 pan/pickup was the first redesign that made any difference. Even with that, I understand it's not a total fix.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    328 did not fix the problem. The internal baffling is the same and from observation there seems to be no difference in starvation. The only fix was the drysump.

Do as Phil suggested, re the overfill. Short of a dry sump conversion it is the best you can do.