Boxer Tires, again? | FerrariChat

Boxer Tires, again?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JTR, Sep 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 JTR, Sep 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've done a diligent search here, but have found more questions than answers.
    I've also searched San Diego for a supplier of XWX tires, with no luck.
    Searching for comparable 15 inch V or VR rated tires netted zip-zero.
    So, what are you guys running for tires in 15 inch size?
    I guess another option is going to a Compmotive 3 piece wheel in 17 or 18 inch, like the one pic'd below.
    Hope whoever's car that is doesn't mind me using the picture.
    Any suggestions, either way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Go for the 17's with michelin pilot sports. The difference in the way the car drives will be so startling you will be amazed. Its like going from bias ply to radials. ride, handling, grip and even steering feel improve sinificantly. The key to making it work is in the alignment specs.

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Did you go directly to Coker Tire? Google their web site. Also, check with Tate at Carobu in Costa Mesa.

4. TiAmoVeloce

TiAmoVeloce Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    So. California
    I had the same problem within the last year and am also located in So. Cal.

I found 235/60-15 W rated Pirelli P600's for the front and 255/60-15 Pirelli P Zero Scorpions for the rear. Of course the tread patterns are not the same but they are Pirelli front & rear.

I could find no one else who offered a speed rated size combination that would work from one maker. This with much help from a major tire dealer whom we have dealt with for years.

I did not personally want XWX's for the Boxer and also did not wish to change wheel size. The 255 rears are a nice look from the back without a compromise in ride height. These were also amazingly reasonable pricewise.

Perhaps this is of some help. Even last year there were few of these available
    when I did the searching. I drove the Boxer approx 800 miles for the Monterey/Concorso weekend last month and am quite pleased with them on my car.

Best of luck,

Ralph

5. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I ordered a new set of XWX from Lodestone tyres in the UK. They will ship anywhere and were good to deal with

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm planning to put XWXs from Coker on mine next spring. I have not found any other reasonable alternatives.

7. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the replys.
    Seems the choice for XWX are limited to Coker.
    17" wheels would give better options, but I really like the look of the stock wheels. Too bad no one makes a cast/forged/machined copy of Boxer wheels in 17.
    At this point I'm inclined to go with the 3 piece Compomotive wheels, as they're a reasonably similar match. And then lower the car about an inch with some new springs. Might give it a little more aggressive stance.
    Also easily reversible!
    Maybe I've been looking at that gorgeous black car too much!
    John

8. Raywheels

Raywheels Rookie

Jul 11, 2005
    The wheels on the black car are Garedcars wheels. Compomotive wheels center star are smaller and there name is stamp on one leg