Should I buy a 328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should I buy a 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by J. Salmon, Sep 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    You can't stop thinking about the 328 because you've been infected. It happened to me after I test drove my carb'd 308. I didn't want to drive my other car home. You won't get bored with the 328, and if you do, then you're not really driving it. If you live in a town with plenty of back roads then the 3x8 series is plenty fast enough. They're even fast enough on long straights, but they rev pretty high for constant high speed cruising. It's not really a bad thing, but it's hard to speed when a car is screaming and everyone can hear you. It makes me paranoid as hell sometimes. I keep thinking a cops going to pull out of somewhere.

2. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Buy it you won't regret it. I still enjoy driving my 328 GTS even though I have a 512TR. The look of 328 is uncomparable, classic Ferrari.

3. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    Buy it!
    The driving experience can't be put into words.
    Just make sure you get a good one and I have no doubt you'll never regret the decision.

4. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    I think if you honestly enjoy the power of the Audi S4 and are used to it (read: spoiled by it) then you will feel something lacking if you trade it in for the 328. You will trade your fun car and pay a heafty premium for a car 10 years older and 10 years slower. Now that isn't fair for the Ferrari either (she has feelings too). Truth is that you have been spoiled by the power of your car. I'll bet you would enjoy the 328 much more if you didn't own the S4 first. Only one logical solution to your dilemma as I see it. You have to find a way to keep BOTH cars. You can have your cake and eat it, too. Make the Audi your daily ride, it is more than capable of filling that role. Then pull out the classic Ferrari when you want to go old school or impress the local yuppies. The recipe for no regrets.

5. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can,the butt ugly front end,minging interior and don't even mention that rear skirt.

The 328 is the 308's ugly sister.

6. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Ouch. That's cold. Not to mention I disagree. I hope a fellow 328 owner will chime in on the asthetic merits of the 348! I happen to think they're both good looking cars, but the 328 wins in my book.

7. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    You talk about euro version, I guess. Have you ever seen an american 308? Did you notice those bumpers?
    If you still think that 308 is better looking than 328, then sir, IMHO, you are grossly mistaken!
    Ciao
    Eugenio

8. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Oh, I see that you drive a 348. Enough said!!

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    engine bullet proof.....one of my most favorites.

10. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Granted the US bumpers are not the best looking,but they can be changed,the 328 front cannot.

11. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What's that got to do with my opinion on how a 328 looks.
    I've also had a 308QV and a 246GTS.

12. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #37 stevew, Sep 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    #38 Dave, Sep 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I say buy it.....when it comes to the 328 any year is a good year, but you will still need a second vehicle....my 328 only came out on nice clear sunny days

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The 308's nose may be prettier, but the venting on the 328's nose works better -- less overheating.

I've never yet seen a 308 that wasn't missing a couple of tops off the toggle switches. The 328's GTO-based interior was the deciding factor between them for me.

After all, it's the interior that I'm looking at. ;)

And over time, I've only gotten happier with that choice.

The 328 is more refined, more debugged, and just newer; the ultimate refinement of the 3x8 series before it went off into the rough with the 348.

And, in my experience, most non-owners can't tell the difference between them.

If I wanted to go for form over function, I'd have gone for a 246 Dino. Old, yes. Underpowered, maybe. But pretty!

But if you want to go for a 308 appearance, the QV will give you many of the updates over the earlier engines (such as improved timing seals) -- but it's still down 20cc in displacement over the 328, and it still has that forest of forks interior for your elbow to whack.
    Mine was my summer daily driver for a couple of years, rain or shine. It works fine in the wet (with decent tires), and the interior is more comfortable with the top on than with it off.

It only got relegated to sunny-only duty when I added the EVO to the stable. (At one point, I had an Alfa (no longer available in the US), a Celica AllTrac (out of production) and a 328. The Ferrari was the most replaceable of the three.) But the EVO is plain mass production. My commute now is horrible for a car's health -- two thirds of the commuting time is spent sitting at traffic lights. Let the ricer take the abuse.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

What is it with Brits named Steve? Do all of you become judgemental asses, or is it only the ones on Fchat?

17. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not at all,it's just that IMO Ferrari ruined one of the most beautiful cars ever made in the 308 when they made the 328.
    Mechanically it may have improved,but looks wise,no way,not IMO anyway.
    Some people love the 328 style,great,but I don't,my opinion.

18. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If your a loyal Ferrari owner you would not talk crap about any other Ferrari...they are all beautiful works of art and are to be enjoyed by all. I have certain Ferrari's that i perfer over the other, but i have morales and wouldn't slam someone else's choice of car. Your entitled to your opinon, but sometimes it better to keep the crap in your mouth.

19. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Judgemental,Oh my god thats so funny coming from a yank:)

20. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Forget about the 308/328 debate. What I really want to know is what was John thinking asking a bunch of people on a Ferrari website if he should dump his teutonic love machine for the 328!!? The response has been overwhelmingly positive, but I can't say I'm surprised. Go for it John and send us pictures!

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Since I was already quoted earlier, I'll add 2 more cents....

The 328 is a great driver's car, involving to drive and always a joy. During my 328 ownership, an M3 has come and gone as well as a Lotus Elise. I have a Subie STI which does most of my track duty. Additionally, a 430 just recently joined the garage, but the 328 (a GTB) will remain. It's a beautiful car and is the last really small Ferrari that you "wear". I track it once in a while and enjoy it. It is now passing into classic territory and the overall character of the car cannot be duplicated by anything else.

You should know, however, that an S4 blows the doors off a 328. While tracking it is enjoyable, you will spend a lot of time letting newer cars pass. On track days, my STI laps 308's and 328's quickly and it's not becasue I am Schumacher or Solberg! So, if you cannot keep both, you need to be prepared to give up a lot of performance. 328's should be thought of as great, but aging, designs.

Dave

22. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Of all of the Ferrari's I have owned my 89.5 328 was probably the most fun to drive, it was like a large go kart. Throw it into a turn and it did just what you wanted--enough speed to get you into trouble and enough handling and power to get you out, if you were quick enough to respond. But for absolute driving sensory overload try a F512M.

23. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry,just because I am a Ferrari owner/enthusiast doesn't mean that I have to like every Ferrari ever made.And just because it has a Ferrari badge on it doesn't mean that everyone must like it.

I'm not slamming anyone's choice of car,just stating that in my opinion the 328 is not as nice looking as the 308.

24. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spot on Chaa M8.... the words pot and kettle spring to mind

25. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    It's your comment, Steve, that was found disrespectful..
    "Originally Posted by stevew
    I can,the butt ugly front end,minging interior and don't even mention that rear skirt.
    The 328 is the 308's ugly sister."

Your absolutely right. You don't have to like every Ferrari ever made but lighten up on the comments about other peoples choices.. As they say, if you dont have anything nice to say keep it off the forum..