Police Auctions-What's the catch? | FerrariChat

Police Auctions-What's the catch?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by lawandorder360, Sep 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    hey guys!

I've recently been looking for my first car, but all the cars I would like are out of my price range. Has anyone heard anything about sites like stateauctions.org? Are they legit, and what's the catch?

Thanks guys

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    State auctions is a scam

you can get information from your local police or sherrif's department on when they are having auctions without paying anything for the information./ Also if you are looking for a car look in your area especially if you are on a $$$$ constraint.

these guys "package" public information and sell it to you then since you are dumb enough to pay for what you can get for free you make the sucker list and all sorts of crapola can follow

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
  4. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    One car in a thousand will be a good one....know someone that bought one and within a week it needed a trans and exhaust system from the cat back...when you buy from the auction you are buying as is

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    ... and maybe Lazlo Gogalak will send a couple of da boyz over to "make you an otter you can't reuse". ;)

6. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Um, okay.

Back on subject, bring a tow dolly or trailer as the vehicle may not be working and you have to take it with you. True example: My friend bought an older model BMW for cheeeeeep but no one wanted it because it didn't come with keys (he said it seemed pretty common for people to shy away from cars that didn't have keys). He towed it home, removed the door handle and took the lock cylinder to a lock smith and had keys made for it while he waited. The Bimmer was a nice car for a couple years then he sold it for 2x the price he paid at the auction!