Should I buy a 328? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Should I buy a 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by J. Salmon, Sep 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Cannot say I can see how it was that offensive. We are all Ferraris lovers and enthusiasts on here, the comment should be taken in the spirit it was intended, SteveW had a beautiful 308 and has now moved to an equally beautiful 348 Spider. Some people would say that was sacriledge but it's horses for courses... people should on the whole give the poster the benefit of the doubt as a fellow Ferrari lover and put most comments down to personal, subjective, and usually light hearted opinion.

2. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Are Forums not about discussion and debate wether you think it's nice or not.

IMO(which I am entitled to)the front end of a 328 is butt ugly and Ferrari did ruin the look of the 308 style with the 328 changes.To me,IMO that is a negative.

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Wot's all this, then?

1776 part II: The Empire Strikes Back ? :p

(Just a little slower than the response to the Falklands. ;))

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea but we delt with it our selfs swiftly and firmly. We dont like to involve anybody else ya see, and we dont like our wars to drag on and on and on.....We walk softly with a big stick, and not telling the world of our great war plans, why? becourse that would save us from falling flat on our faces;);)

5. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    WHO CARES!!! THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME. TO EACH HIS OWN.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Split this thread and move it to P&R. 328's are great and I would probably would own one if the 348 had not come available when I was in the buyer's market. Great cars. I do not know of a single 328 owner that does not really enjoy their car.
    BT

7. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    I agree with BT348PBG. Why is it that so many of these threads end up off topic in some inane argument over what is a better car. I think we're all entitled to our opinions and I am the first to say people should be able to voice them, but the original question was whether John should get a 328 over his S4, not if we thought the 308 was prettier than the 328. I think by headed down this route we're doing the original post a disservice.

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #58 chaa, Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stop over reacting, it was somthing and nothin;)
    Here is a pic of my 328 that i sold last year. I loved the way it looked and every thing about it. I have known stevew personaly for over 10 years, the guys cool. We have alot of banter on the Uk forum regarding what we think about how our cars look, but we know how to take our humour (UK thing). Its no bigey:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not with the price of TRs so low. Why buy an 8 when you can have the performance and sound of a 12 for around the same price? Look for an early TR and you'll be a happy man.

10. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You've made this argument tens of times on this board. We get it. What you don't make clear as that TRs are "frontloaded" cheap because of higher variance and higher average in maintenance costs than the 328. TR owners have said it again and again, get the wrong one (on the cheap side) and you'll pay for it again in service.

Not everyone wants the "performance and sound of a 12". I love the 512TR as much as the next guy, but I doubt it would see half the miles a year that my 328 does. The style of the two cars is quite different.

To the original poster: Your reasons are inline for a 328. Yes, you will probably need a second car (there ARE people who daily drive these, though, it's just a bit tough), and NO, do not plan it being your four-times-a-month track car. Outside of that, you'll quickly find a 328 can accomodate any scenario quite nicely.

Re: 308 and 328, there is an objective way to handle the argument. The 328 has "cleaner" more evolved lines from a design sense--but not everyone likes that. In return, you get objective (non arguable) improvements in every other area (brakes, interior, gauges, radiator cooling, power, ignition, reliability, etc.). You make the call.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've owned a 328GTS and a TR and drove the TR about 50k miles in a little over three years and had very little maintenace costs other than a 30k mile service at around $5k and a clutch slave cylinder replacement for a few hundred bucks. All in all I believe my TR was cheaper to own than my 328, although I did track my 328 more often which caused a a lot of its extra expenses. I agree that you need to fine the best TR out there you can find, but that applies to any used Ferrari including a 328. I have nothing against 328s...my first Ferrari was a 328 and have owned one other V8 Ferrari as well as four 12 cylinder ones. But, when you can buy a classic 12 cylinder Ferrari for around the same cost as a v8 model, there is no question that the 12 is the way to go IMHO! I would be curious to know how many of the people who recommend a 328 over a TR or other 12 cylinder Ferrari have even owned a 12 cylinder Ferrari? Also,FYI there is a guy here in the Atlanta area that has used his TR as his daily driver for years and he has racked up well over 100k miles so far...it looks a little ratty on the inside, but it seems to run fine.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not to pick on you Vlad, because your posts and intent are always good, but the old versus new comparison comes up a lot on f-chat, and it's beside the point.

Honestly, I don't hear a lot of Porsche Speedster and Dino 246 owners griping about how old their cars are and wailing because they can't step up to a new car. The 308/328 are in transition to classic status. So for now that makes them "old", or "used" if you like.

I don't mind writing a big check for a great older car, but plunking down $80K for a new Mercedes sedan would make me sick.

Truth is, I think a lot of the modern stuff has ruined the experience of regular street driving. I would (and did, actually) take my Porsche 993 over any 996, and I'd take the more visceral and hot looking 308/328 over any new BMW, Audi, etc. Maybe it's a matter of priorities.

(And yeah, I think the 308's sexier than the 328, but the 328 retains most of the charm and usually gets recommended as the most reliable Ferrari.)

13. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    LOL!!!

14. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was being sarcastic. I like the 348, but I think that most Ferrari owners tend to look "down" at them for a number of reasons (not me). Thats probably has had a huge effect on their value which makes long term 348 owners unhappy. The 348 sounds better then the 328 and is faster. The looks are a matter of opionion. Its funny, but most 328 owners won't buy a 348. They will get a 355 or a 360. If you spend time with a 348, its not a bad car. By the way, the guy Steve has the right to say what he wants, negative or positive about any models. Who cares. They are cars. He didn't make fun of your wife or mother. He is entitled to his opionion. Who ever doesn't see that really needs to grow up. Love your yellow 328! Great color.

15. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    And I was simply enjoying your sarcasm.
    Thanks. I kinda like it too.

16. vittorio

vittorio Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Italy