Manheim Prices, please! | FerrariChat

Manheim Prices, please!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Qksilver, Sep 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is the last time, I swear. My dad and I found a Rosso / tan '95 355b, 6 speed- all services + belt, 13K miles, new tires, manifolds, valve guides, great condition. It can be gotten for $70,000 definately, probably 65K, possibly less.

My dad asked me to get some manheim prices for 95-99 355 berlinetta
    6-speeds... I would really appreciate it if someone could post a list of the recent 355 sales from manheim. THanks in advance

-Joe

I posted in the modern section, but it didn't bite-- so I'm trying here as well, I figure more people who can get the figures will be in this section. Thanks again!

2. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you can get it for less then 65,000 i wouldn't worry about getting prices i would buy it.

3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thats the point, we KNOW he'll take 70K, but if we can get some prices for 355's of equal condition for in the mid-low 60's, OR a better/newer example for slightly more, my dad can use the information to negotiate. Thanks Mark.
    -Joe

4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    bump. I'd really appreciate it because my dad would like some numbers before tomorrow. Plus you're philanthropic act may very well result another great "new addition to the stable" thread! Thanks much!
    -Joe

5. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't think throwing out Manheim numbers for similar cars will be much use in negotiating with a private seller. I am sure they know what they will take for the car so throw them a number that would work for you (with a PPI) and go from there. Personally if someone wanted to give me auction results while negotiating a car I had for sale I would say go buy an auction car with no warranty or time to have it checked out if thats what you want.

6. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    jeff's completely right, you already have found what is a good buy, and the best thing to do is throw an offer below that number, and hopefully you can negotiate close to it. But, just to help you out, here's the last year of 95 berlinetta's at manheim:

08/18/05 RIVRSIDE Regular $64,000 18,962 Above BLACK 8G M Yes
    05/26/05 RIVRSIDE Regular $58,000 25,860 Above YELLOW 8G M Yes
    03/10/05 MANHEIM Regular $61,000 35,894 Above RED 8G Yes
    12/31/04 NEVADA Regular $57,000 15,397 Above BLACK 8G 6 Yes
    10/21/04 MANHEIM Regular $60,500 22,863 Above RED/BLAC 8G 6 Yes

7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Jeff M and Switchcars. This particular car is on consignment, at a dealer, not private. The dealer is a independent place that gets most of it's cars from manheim. So the way my dad wants to approach the situation is to use these numbers to tell the salesman that he can get a very similar car from him at manheim. And said he's willing to go to 63K or so, just because he won't have to hassle with waiting for the salesman to find the right car to hit the block. In addition, this car has just had its 15K +belt, clutch, and brand new tires; my dad was told it was $8k. Because of that, my dad will go higher. This car has been for sale for about 8 months-- it's just in an area where people don't walk in and buy Ferraris. Thanks again,

-Joe

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The dealer will rather wholesale that car then sell it to your father for anything close to manheim prices. Cause if the dealer/seller sends the car to manheim it costs them nothing no service warranty ect. Plus if they wholesale it they can package it with other cars and get more for it. There is a local wholesaler who is the largest wholesaler in the country who will walk in there and pay manheim price maybe a little more if the car is clean. So, there would be no reason to sell it to your father for 63k. Sorry Good luck though.
    Erik

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    a cheap ferrari is not always a bargin

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    A sign on the wall in my dentist's office:

Lo barato cuesto caro.

translated: Cheaper costs you more.

Erich

11. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    true for most cases...however, they will not recover their service costs if they wholesale it, because usually only the retail buyer is willing to pay that much more for the 15k service. auction prices unfortunately tend to suck any added value out of a car. The short answer is...they have a certain amount in the car, whether it's 55k, 60, 70k, whatever it is, they need to make money on it, whether it goes retail or wholesale. If they are in the car 70k, no matter how good at negotiating you are, I doubt they'll take 63k, unless they are desperate to recover their losses.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm not sure a manheim car would be comparable to one where the service records are verified. I wouldn't believe anything that comes with a car bought at auction. First person experiences and discussions with the service people who performed the service are priceless.

Having said that, if I were a seller and your father told me he could buy a car for less at an auction I would tell him to go and buy it. If you want to offer less, think of a better excuse than that. Let's face it, either the guy has someone on the hook other than you or he'll have to keep the car if he doesn't drop his price. Its all his decision.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Isn't that the truth.

14. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks everyone...

Ok, I believe the owner of the car was one of the MBNA guys that got cut, and probably needs to get out, and with winter nearing he's probably getting nervous.

And as far as "a cheap ferrari is not always a bargain"

Yes, I absolutely agree; in this case however, the car has low miles and has been kept up with care. It is clearly not a knocked-around-beater-below-average-condition Ferrari.

The reason my dad is investigating is because he is not looking for another car right now, but the salesman said he can negotiate. The fact that my dad isn't desperate gives him the power in this deal. He figured this a good way to approach it, by saying "If I can get a similar car at Manheim for about 60K, I might as well take this one for a little more." By doing that, he has the offer on the table, and if the owner doesn't take it now, unless he get's another buyer (which would be good for him), he might get back to my dad in a few weeks after all the demand for sports cars stagnates-- 40 degrees, rain... not the best sports car conditions. THanks everybody.
    -Joe

15. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I feel for the seller in this story. Not a nice situation to be in. I hope he gets his asking price($70k) which IMO is resonable for as nice a 95 355 as this seems.

16. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Funny...I don't see the usual warnings about compression, valve guides, exhaust manifolds and the bubbling center console I usually see when the number 355 is mentioned. Of course, I am NOT intelligent on this particular model and hope some day to own one.

Could someone please clarify and I will dutifully print the answer(s) and put it in the "355 folder".

(PS...Don't tell the wife!)

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Read the first post.

18. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thanx!!!

Too much of a hurry!!!

19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As chairoman said...

plus the console is fine, and it looks like the dashboard material may have pulled away, but it's fixed now. I'd absolutely be happy for the seller if he got his 70K, but if he is willing to take lower, obviously he can rationalize it. But ethics don't apply full-on in business.... social darwinism...... I'm not trying to start a political battle here, just defending both parties.

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If the car is clean and everything you say don't lose this car over $5k you will be sorry.
    Erik

21. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I just sold my Supra TT and the believe me or not i had people tell me the same stuff,they can buy a similar car for 10g less blah blah and i'd always replied with,then go buy that car.I eventually sold the car at pretty close to my asking price.
    Like some one else said,why let a nice car slip away for 5g ( roll eyes )

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Joe.

No BS.

Better snap that bad boy up before I swing over there and grab it.

It's only 20 minutes from my office, and I have a nice Land Rover I'm thinking will trade in real well on this thing.

If your Dad is not interested, I'd like to know so I can take a look without feeling guilty. If he's serious, I'll look elsewhere.

Dave

23. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey Dave, I just talked to my dad. He said he was serious about getting it. Today and yesterday he has been a little caught up settlement of one of our vacation houses. Now he'll have time to call up Mark Cedrone and ask about the car and do a little more homework. I'll definately let you know what happens. I'll PM you. I'd really like you to take a look and ask some questions about it, any info is good! Thanks

-Joe