Selling questions... | FerrariChat

Selling questions...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Robertb, Sep 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    As some of you know, I have been vaguely trying to sell my 355 for a while now. However, I have decided it is time to try a bit harder.

My options as I see it are...

1. Sell privately now for a reduced "winter adjusted" price to reflect fewer buyers/more cars about
    2. Sell to a trader.
    3. Hang on til Spring, and hopefully fetch a bit more when there are more buyers/less cars about.

My concern about waiting til Spring is that it might depreciate even further.

If I sell privately it will need to be serviced which makes the trade route a little more attractive, plus there is the certainty.

What do you reckon is the best plan?

Any ideas of how to price a 16k mile 99T manual 355GTS in silver?

Thanks

Robert.

2. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    IMHO - I'd say £44,995 for a quick private sale. As its a GTS and a 1999, that would more than make up for the fact its not a spider or rosso corsa with crema. If a dealer offers you more, then I'd take it - but what do I know, I don't own a 355 so its best if you get advice from the 355 guys..!

3. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ebay. Set a sensible min price. Probably get more on there than you will if you sell it to a trader.

4. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    I had thought about ebay, but don't you end up with a load of time wasters and you can never be sure whether a bid is genuine?

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Ebay / Top marques / Autotrader. all good places to sell, as for the price it all depends on how quickly you want to sell it but I'd go for £48,950 or there abouts, puting it in the middle as far as pricing goes, spend some time writing a decent advert with good pics.
    if you want to sell it this week then sell it into the trade, you won't of course get as much cash back as you may want (without more details according to this months glass's guide it books at approx £41k trade )

6. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    £45k seems a bit cheap to me, but most 355 buyers are going to want a red un', I know I did, but ebay may be worth trying and set your reserve as low as you can. Or be really brave and start at £1 with no reserve :D:D:D

7. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No different to tyre kickers from the paper.

8. Dictys

Dictys Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
    UK - Oxfordshire
    I sold my Bentley on ebay, all the genuine buyers just contacted me via email and came to view the car.

First person who came brought the car, so I just removed it from sale and had to only pay the listing fees. It was sold within 4 days.

Set a sensible reserve, start very low, put it on for as long as possible so lots of people view.

I have also sold one of my bikes this way.

No one who actually bid came to look at the car, people were emailing me direct through ebay wanting to view.

9. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Had an XK8. Very high miles, but decided to sell it on ebay.

Firstly, spoke to the trade who offered me 7K! (190K miles - P reg). So I thought, need to shift the car, anything more than 10K is a bonus. So put the car on a 7 day listing, starting at 10K (Be realistic) with no reserve. Within a day I got a bid at £10K (trade), by the end of the week, the final bidding reached £13,600.

Had a dialogue with the chap prior to the final bid. He came to check is was as described - after the close. He left a cheque. I waited for the cheque to clear, then the following week he picked up the car - I was happy that I got a reasonable price, he was happy he got a good XK8 at cheap money, and finally the cash was in the bank after 2 weeks of advertising it!

10. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Robert,

What price did you try to sell it at before? (I cant remember)

Given what Ive seen around, you should be able to sell it privately for just under 50K if its been serviced.

When I advertised my 355 Spider (rosso/crema) 37K miles at 50Kish , I got a ton of calls through.

Good luck
    Ade

11. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K

But nobody buying it though!! :)

12. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    190,000 miles!!!
    How many new engines had it had :D

What was the condition like with that mileage?

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It was up for £54950 at Talacrest, which would have returned me £51Kish. Just got a trade offer from MSL for £40k.

Was given a trade offer of £45k a couple of months ago- wish I'd taken that!

Incidentally, have you heard the news about Talacrest? The sales side is being discontinued, the service side is continuing as normal. Guy Tedder has left and set up his own business, www.castlefords.com

14. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Same engine, second gearbox, not bad nick!

15. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had an early XK8, then an XKR. I loved the XK8 particularly. I got the impression the engine would last well- the car was very well built. At below £15k they look like a great cruiser for the money.

16. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Did you have Nikasil problems with the engine?

17. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I stick my tougue out at you.

I decided NOT to sell....soooo there. :D

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if it dont sell its to expensive

19. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    most sensible post of the day

20. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    stop trying to creep round me

21. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    that would be hard, its about a 6 mile circumference

22. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    Stick on sor with an independant you get the best of all worlds then and you haven't got to deal with test pilots or get a kick in the nuts by selling it direct to a trader.

23. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    well, I've just stuck mine on Ebay so we'll see what happens!

24. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Put mine on the FOC website and had two very positive enquiries, one of which I think will go further.

25. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sold the car to Chris Wood, a trader, yesterday. Took the loss on the chin, but the car was shedding value faster than a Paris 2012 T shirt.

So there you go, the end of an era of Ferrari ownership for me. At least I have my 993 to console me...