Hill Engineering Does it Again! | FerrariChat

Hill Engineering Does it Again!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ricambi America, Sep 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Tired of struggling to remove your oil filter every time you do a fluid change? Annoyed with cheap strap wrenches that never seem to hold securely? Busted one too many knuckles?

Me too !!!

I'm pleased to announce that I received my first shipment of Hill Engineering Oil Filter Cap Wrenches today, and they look terrific! The fit very securely because their designed exclusively for our Ferrari-spec'd UFI and Purflux filters.

If you're here in the tech forum, you know how important the right tools can be. Stop messing around with junk from the super-centers, and get the right tools. The sooner you get the oil changed, so sooner you can get back behind the wheel!

For the 348/355/360: http://ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=261231

For the 308/328: http://ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=261230

For the Testarossa: http://ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=261232

With Kind Regards,
    Daniel

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Does it work with the Baldwin filters often used on the 308/328?

3. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

It's 15 flute, 95mm.

I don't deal with the Baldwin filters, so don't know exactly... anyone, anyone, Bueller?

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    they are very good at hill engineering make loads of stuff including wheel bolts

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Difficult strap wrenches?

6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

For me, I hate strap wrenches because I always find my hand/knuckles getting thrown into some flesh-eating part of the engine. With a cap wrench, I can use an extension and keep my hands out of harms way.

Indeed, it all comes down to personal preference.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

You would not say that if you had EVER changed a 360 spyder oil filter.

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Maybe I'm missing something.
    How does this $75 Oil Filter Cap Wrench differ from the one that fits my UFI that I purchased from Autozone for $3.95 ???

9. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    $71.05, that's how it differs.
    Sorry Dave, I couldn't resist.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #10 Mike C, Sep 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If the Baldwin is not 95mm w/15 flutes, these types of filter cap wrenches are available in a variety of sizes. The top picture below shows a 93mm 15 flute for $4.05 from www.sjdiscounttools.com. I did *not* see a 95mm/15 size there to match what Hill is offering, but 95mm/15 flute is available at Ace Hardware (bottom picture). Because of the price differential, and knowing Paul Hill, I presume that Hill's is much more heavy-duty and is of course nicely machined, rather than these others which look formed. The cheap ones might be fine for occasional do-it-yourselfers, but if you're a shop doing them all the time, Hill's looks top-of-the-line.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I was going to ask the same question. I too bought one for $3.95 at Autozone.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

As Mike C. so correctly pointed out that cheap stamping is junk after a few hundred uses. I have worn several out. May be just great for a home mechanic but it doesn't cut it as a serious tool.

For what its worth as soon as I saw this thread I called Daniel and ordered one of each including the one for 550 that he did not list.

My day is too short to deal with junk tools and I have enough experience with Paul Hills stuff to know it's worth every penny.

Why did you pay so much for a Ferrari? I got a car a lot cheaper down at Toyota.

13. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well it's always good to know that you could buy 18 cheap stamped units
    that will allow you to change 5400 oil filters for the price of one nice one.

By the way, I have no intentions on changing 5400 oil filters before I die.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I probably already have. The real cost comes in when progress comes to a stop because another junk tool breaks in the middle of a job and a car doesn't get finished today.

But then maybe it's just me. I would prefer to have quality than junk and I appreciate a man like Daniel who is building a business providing quality to people that know the difference.

15. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Funny I just twist it off with my rubber gloves on. Latex that is.

16. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    So does the Ace 93mm 15 Flute fit the Baldwin filter or the sjdiscounttools 95mm 15 flute fit the Baldwin filter?

17. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I have never used an oil filter wrench so this may be a stupid question.
    The Baldwin oil filter is smooth at the edge. Does the wrench actually indents the filter in order to grip it?

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Yeah, i like latex too. :D

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Ah, then this won't work on the Baldwin anyway. The indents on the wrench have to match the indents (if any) on the filter. So for Baldwin users, forget about this kind of tool.

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The answer on the Baldwin B253 is no. It is round at the top and has no flat spots for a wrench. You must use a strap wrench.

Birdman

21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #21 robertgarven, Oct 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hill does make great stuff! I prefer the Baldwin as to quality looks and past experience, buy them by the dozen, change my oil every 15 minutes and use this. I am not an expert like Brian but if you can remove the filter by hand i think it is to loose. I put it on by hand but have never been able to remove it, but I guess it depends on the size of your hands!!! :)

22. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I have a unit similar to this...I think it's a Sears Craftsman and was less than $15. The legs are round. Best universal oil wrench I've used (air-cooled VW, water-cooled VW, Ford SUV, & air-cooled Porsche).
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I don't care how good the quality is, $75 is a ridiculous price.

Crap, forgot, gotta be a member to post images :rolleyes: