Factory required options on 430 | FerrariChat

Factory required options on 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by robert biscan, Sep 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    When I placed my order the dealer told me that I had to get Nav and the extended warranty and that's the way they cars had to be ordered. Is that the case with you owner's who have cars too? This was a requirement of Ferrari.

2. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
  3. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Navi is definately NOT a mandatory option. Your dealer said this?

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Yes they did and I guess it is on the spyder. I looked at the reference thread and Its says so too. The Nav was discounted pretty good but the $5900 extended warranty was not. The dealer said they are not making anything on these options. I wonder if anyone backed out because of this? I also bet this is required only in America.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sounds like the guy is full of it. Not making anything on an extended warranty?? That's almost pure profit. It'll be nice for the next owner though ;)

6. mensi

mensi Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    Hard to believe what I'm reading.
    "Mandatory option" ?????
    That's a perfect oxymoron if there is one.
    I beleive it is against the law to force a buyer to purchase extended warrantees on a new car. If it's available, it's an option !!
    I see this whole thing as a another back rub by F dealers to get their drooling customers to bend a little more forward.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The spiders are being fitted with nav systems at the factory and priced at about 600. vs the official option price of 2471. FNA is adding the warranty to the stickers on all US spiders. I don't know which laws, if any, apply to the situation, I suspect you do not either, so I would hold off on the "it's against the law" comments until someone, preferably an attorney with expertise in this area, chimes in.

Dave

8. mensi

mensi Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    "It is against the law " came this morning from an automotive OEM management person here on the west coast.

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I don't know if it's against the law but I think it sucks. I still want the car but I don't feel warm and fuzzy about a required option. I love the car and think it will be a good time when driving. I just wonder why they decided to do this.

10. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If you are getting a coupe, you need not worry. The Extended warranty policy does not apply to the coupe.

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's also against the law to practice law without a license. Being married to an attorney, I have learned there are very few blanket legal statements that can be made in the area of commercial law. It is possible that it may be illegal for a dealer to force a buyer to get aftermarket warranties, but what about factory warranties? I don't know. Could be different in different states. It is highly probable FNA ran it by their own legal staff first, so I would not jump to conclusions about any of this in a legal sense.

Dave

12. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If I am going to pay over 200,000 for a Spider, I will NOT backout because they require an extended warranty. I may not be crazy about being required to buy the warranty but I AM CRAZY ABOUT THE CAR. :D

I suspect Ferrari is well aware of this.:)

13. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Nick,

Look at the bright side, as far as options go this one isn't so bad. It will definitely add to the resale value of your car if you sell it while still on warranty. Also, I'm pretty sure that the retail value of the 1 year complete (bumper to bumper) warranty is more than $5900. ;)

14. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    What does the nav package look like? Fully integrated into the dash or one of those ugly separate aftermarket pieces that look glued on? If you don't like the looks, can you just neatly remove it?

15. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    360 Nav is a pretty lame compared to 'regular' cars. Its just a little screen on the front of the radio. Here's the description from the f430_coupe_equipmentejourney_uk.pdf brochure.

Note the phrase "high-definition graphic pictograms..." I've been able to resist that option on my 2 360s and will again do so for my 430...

The Ferrari customized radio-satellite navigation system is
    available as an optional, complete with a GPS aerial installed in
    a hidden position, under the dashboard. The system groups
    the radio, audio CD and navigation functions in a single unit. It
    is equipped with a RAM memory for storing the route set, thus
    allowing the user to listen to an audio CD even during a navigation
    guide session. Navigation is dynamic (TMC in countries where
    this is available) and intelligent. It features a permanent
    automatic calibration using an integrated on-board computer
    (Trip Computer button) which provides the main travelling
    details (arrival time, trip distance left, distance travelled,
    average speed and position). In addition to the high-definition
    graphic pictograms displayed, accurate directions are provided
    during navigation by the guiding voice, for which different
    language and voice (male or female) options can be selected.
    The most used and recently set destinations can be memorized
    for easy and immediate use. Detailed information on the maps
    available for each country can be obtained from the Authorized
    Ferrari Dealers and Service Centres. The radio-navigation system
    is fully compatible with the CD-changer (CDCH), the Hi-Fi
    Sound System (SND1) and the Bluetooth™ system (BLUE),
    which can be ordered as optionals.

16. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Thanks. Doesn't sound that wonderful.

17. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's basically a slightly updated Becker Traffic Pro Radio -- looks the same as the standard radio.

18. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Jack, good point on resale value though it will be difficult to measure. I believe extended warranty coverage on a used 360 is about $7500 but not sure if it is for one or two years.

Nick

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I still think it would have been much smarter to give spiders a 4 year warranty and just increase the base price. Then spider buyers would be happy they get 4 years instead of the 3 years lowly coupe buyers got! No one would have cared about a 5900 higher base price. But try to force anything unwanted down an American's throat and look out!

Dave