New 360 Owner, having problems starting the car :( | FerrariChat

New 360 Owner, having problems starting the car :(

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by toyfan168, Sep 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toyfan168

toyfan168 Rookie

Sep 28, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Conroy Shum
    Hello fellow Ferrari lovers.

I recently purchased my first 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena and apologize in advance for this novice question. But do Ferarris typically have problems with starting the car? After I had the car shipped cross country, I couldn't get the engine started. I subsequently took it to the dealership and had a few electrical things checked out and drove the car home. This morning, I drove 10 minutes to my nearby Allstate Insurance carrier to take a look at the car and issue me a new policy. When I tried to start the car, I was having the same issues as before. After the 6th try, the engine did turn over and start. But I find it hard to believe that starting this car is such a temperamental thing? Should I be checking to see if I have a weak battery? Or am I just doing something wrong? Do I need to buy some sort of tickle charger or something?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    [email protected]

2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    F1 tranny? How many miles?

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Riiiiight, blame the F1 system first. Sheesh! :)

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Did you remember to use the key fob before starting the car? What did your dealer say about the issue?

If you drive the car regularly (once or twice a week, at least), you don't need to use a trickle charger.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Go the beginning.

Does it crank when you turn the key?

6. toyfan168

toyfan168 Rookie

Sep 28, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Conroy Shum
    It's an F1 transmission with about 12,000 miles on it. When I turn the key, it cranks, but the car doesn't start.

7. toyfan168

toyfan168 Rookie

Sep 28, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Conroy Shum
    Hey there,

Not sure what a key fob is. The dealer at Ferrari of Silicon Valley, (hear in Northern California), didn't say very much. They said they did change something called an assieme interruttor, which I believe is the cut-off switch. They said it was faulty and had replaced it 2 days ago. But perhaps that was not the problem after all, as the car still has problems starting.

They did test the battery and said it was fine.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are probably just having a problem getting the alarm disarmed.

The easy way until you get to the point you really understand the system is this, turn the key "on", push the button on the remote, turn the key the rest of the way to the start position.

With the key in the on position the remote will only turn the immobilizer (the part of the alarm system that prevents the motor from starting) off.

The other advantage to doing it that way is you don't have to listen to all the stupid beeping the alarm system does.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

If the car salesman did not instruct you in the starting procedure you should go back there with a dull knife and cut off a piece of his anatomy. The slimeball got a good commission for selling the car. He can take 5 minutes and show you how to start it.

10. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Assuming he himself knows how to start it.
    Ok, maybe that was harsh.....or not?

John

11. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    He said that the car cranks when he turns the key... if the key fob is not pressed, the car will not crank at all.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Wrong.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

You have to wait to hear the two beeps from the fob/alarm for it to start. Turn the key and let the pump do it's thing etc. then turn off and press the alarm. When you hear the two beeps you're ready to start it. If you find it difficult to get the two beeps, turn the key and crank the engine, then turn to off position and press the fob for the two beeps and restart. Voila, you're off and running.

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

The ABSOLUTE FIRST thing I was taught to instruct renters this summer at GDC.. Should do the trick.

15. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    Perhaps my Euro 360 is different but.... when I just stick the key into the ignition and turn the key without hitting the alarm button, nothing happens ie. all the lights come on but the engine does not turn over ( my definition of crank).

16. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Interesting - US models will crank but not start. I'd be very surprised in EU models were different.

17. Radie8

Radie8 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Interesting...my 04 US model will not crank.

18. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    My 360 would crank but not start. I think that perhaps the battery should also be looked at as the ecu system on these animals is very fussy, perhaps also the battery in the fob itself may be a little corroded. My fob for the 355 plays up occasionally the light flashes as though it is working but there is not enough juice to switch off the alarm, try tapping it gently on something hard eg key or something and this will move the battery inside minutely and you may find it gains a little more connection. Hope that is all it is.

19. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Maybe a difference in software or years? I spent the summer in a '99 euro 360 that would crank but not turn over..

20. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    How coincidental and timely for me!

I'm in the exact same scenario: my 02 got shipped cross country and I got it this morning and I had to the drive 10 minutes to my All State insurance carrier to get a new policy issued. I would have had to post the same damn question if it weren't for this post. Luckily, I read this post last night.

I'm still getting used to the whole starting procedure - how do valets ever deal with this car and the F1 tranny?! Not that I'm ever going to valet it...

And oh yeah... I'm very happy!! :)