348 oil change | FerrariChat

348 oil change

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nunojcmaia, Sep 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nunojcmaia

nunojcmaia Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    porto - portugal
    Full Name:
    nuno maia
    Hi again,
    Is that necessary to change yearly the engine oil of a 348, as said in the owners manual ?
    I've done the major service a year ago ang have done 8000 Km. Every 1000 Km (more or less) I've to join some oil (between 500 cc and 1 litre).
    If your answer is yes, what about the gearbox oil and the water coolant, must be changed yearly too ?

Nuno Maia.

2. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I would suggest that you definately still change the oil and filter after a year, even though you have added fresh oil through consumption. This will make sure any dirt etc is removed from the system and the filter does not clog up.

The specification says 2 years for the gearbox oil which I am sure is fine, though many people change it every year to try and extend the life of the box.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes.

Especially the coolant. Coolant does wear out over time. It is important to change it because fresh coolant helps protect the engine from electrolosis. This is really important on engines that use aluminium, and the 348 has an aluminium block.

The gear box oil should also be changed. The reason is that even if you are the best driver in the world the gears still wear a little. On the drian plug there is a magnet to catch tiny metal shavings. When you change the gear box oil you also clean off the shavings on the magnet. So you wouldn't want to keep drive your 348 will metal floating around in the gear box oil.

It isn't hard to change either of these. It is something that you can do yourself. To changed the gear box oil will take about 30 minutes. The coolant takes about an hour because you have to remove the wheels, and front part of the splash guard, to get to the drain plugs. But still not a hard job.

4. nunojcmaia

nunojcmaia Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    porto - portugal
    Full Name:
    nuno maia
    Chris and Ernie thanks for your help.

Nuno