355 front spoiler repaint/repair questions | FerrariChat

355 front spoiler repaint/repair questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 1badboy, Sep 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    It's time to get my front spoiler on 355 fixed- not only chipped paint but some "dings" in material (fiberglass) and possibly some minor damage to the underneath area behind spoiler.

I have had 328s and Testarossa spoilres fixed several times- but they are different design/materials, at least I think.

Any of you that have had this work done in U.S.- preferably SoCal area, can you tell me approx. what you were charged and how happy you were with the service?

I know this sounds crazy, but the guy that worked on my Benz had a Diablo and had same spoiler issues and told me he has a guy that would come to his shop and fix it right there- sounds like a very "second-rate" job - but I do have respect for this guy. Has anyone had any experience similar to that?

Of course I'd like to use Dave at Premier here in Culver City, but he is so busy with "real" problems that I'm afraid I might be waiting awhile to get the work done there.

Thanks for any "real experiences" you can provide.

Eric

2. fana355france

fana355france Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    It is possible to repair it, it is fiber "composite" and it is not realy hard to do.
    All boats (little boats and funboards) are made like this.
    nico

3. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    you might try Ralph Bell at Bell's Autowerks in Costa Mesa.

They are a factory approved shop and do all the work for FOC

he has painted two spoilers for us with great results.

4. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    #4 mondial86, Sep 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just went through this last winter:I took the bumper of and deliverer it to a great restoration shop outside Boston called Hatch and sons.It took me about an hour to get the bumper of and Hatch did the work in a week.It was expensive almost a grand,You need to know that Hatch and Sons was the best,Clearly one of the best Restoration/body shops in the east.You get what you pay for ,the job was perfect!
    I would suggest that you find a simalarly reputable shop that works on Ferraris and bring them you car or bumper to them, it might cost a bit more but in my experances it is worth it
    my o2
    David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    Thanks guys- I knew some of you had this work done, but I was getting the "cold shoulder"... :)

Dave- the job you had done looks beautiful, and really, $1K is less than what I was expecting. Was it exclusively paint, or any little "chips and dings" too? I forgot, you probabaly saved several hundred $$ of labor by taking bumber on and off yourself.

Last spoiler I had fixed was the black fiberglass one on my Testarossa, which has "missing" chunk and was way easier to remove and fix than a 355s- but I'm pretty sure I paid $1400 for fix (might have included something else minor, or flat-bedding).

Any other stories on fixing the front bumper, with approx. price you paid? I am getting quotes all over the map and of course, at a certain point you get what you pay for, but time/distance is also a consideration for me right now.

Thanks again,

Eric