I'm going to Maranello! | FerrariChat

I'm going to Maranello!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pdavison, Sep 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
    Just had to share this:

My girlfriend has arranged for us to go to the home of Ferrari next weekend as a surprise 30th birthday present for me (my birthday's today!).

She did actually get some advice from someone on here via a review they wrote so thank you (from both her & I) to whoever that was.

I was going to ask for some advice on how to get a factory tour as I don't own a Ferrari (yet). My intention is to buy one as my 30th present to myself but unfortunately my Boxster is taking longer to sell than initially thought so my hunt for a 348 has been slightly delayed.

Has anyone got any pointers on whether/how I can arrange a tour?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    No advice, but happy birthday!

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The factory tour is kept as a sort of holy grail even for owners so you won't get in as a non-owner unless you have very very very good contacts - there are loads of other things to do around Maranello all of which are covered in numerous other threads on this site - have a good trip

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ferrari owners club organise factory visits- you can join as a non-owner.

Dealerships organise factory tours too- a kindly word to the marketing manager at one of the main dealers might pay dividends, esp if they think you are after a car...

5. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
    I might see if Maranello's in Egham can help. They don't tend to stock 348's which may not help my case but got to be worth a try.

I'm sure Evo magazine did a review of what to do in the area so I'll see if I can dig the relevant issue out.

Thanks everyone.

PS - If anyone what's to do a deal on their 348 for a Boxster S feel free to get in touch!

6. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    You could always get a job as a supplier to the automotive industry, then you can have as many trips to car factories as you want (or inevitably won't want!).

Slightly more seriously, I went there on holiday last year, and there are still a few things to do without a factory tour (Museum, Fiorano, pizza, cappuccino etc. etc. etc. ).

Happy birthday!

Have a great time when you go!

Dem.

7. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes

Hey Dem,

Stop giving out trade secrets, they will all want jobs next (LOL)!!

Regards,
    Phil.

8. Nizza

Nizza Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    London/Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick James
    Mute point......

Your better going straight for a 355.....

9. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
    If someone wants to offer me the right deal on a 355 then I would happily consider it!

10. Nizza

Nizza Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    London/Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick James
    It would be difficult to find a 355 in the 348 money category that would not be in the 'Right Munta' to 'Total Hound' area.....

If you can stretch your budget by another 10-15k you could find yourself a reasonable example of a 355.

Am looking to update (or add to) the current 308 GTS QVi to/with a 355 and did have a deposit on one in June when the deal was scupper-ed by a posting to the Big Apple.

But with 360s coming down in price with the launch of the 430 they are now starting to look attractive…..

In other words I know your pain…..

11. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Even without the Factory Tour there are plenty of Ferrari things to do:

Peeking through the fence at the Fiorano test track

A visit to Galleria Ferrari (the museum)

A visit to the Ferrari Shop, and plenty of other shops selling Ferrari memorabilia.

Getting stuck in a traffic jam consisting almost entirely of Ferraris at the traffic lights just outside the factory at clocking off time!

Eating out at the resturaunts near the factory. There are bound to be some Ferrari workers in. Got chatting to a British software engineer who worked for the F1 team when I was last there.

12. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    LMAO!

Nobody wants a job in my industry - it sucks! I'm getting out as soon as the modelling career takes off!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D