Dilemma | FerrariChat

Dilemma

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by floppy, Sep 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Dear people,
    I have a dilemma. I am not a rich man, but in the next 2 years I will be of the means to purchase a hot car. Basically, I would be in price range of getting a 308 QV. Now upon looking around at cars I could get maybe a 308 or.... a Corvette Z06 (2002-2004)....Oops, did I say something wrong? Anyway, I have been a Ferrari man ever since I was a kid, I used to drag man dad to the Ferrari dealership as after as I could and always dreamed of having one. But looking objectively at the situation, a Z06 will flat own a 308 in just about every category, at least on paper. I have driven one, like it should be driven and the car is nothing shot of impressive for a car of any price. My only complaints have to do with the shifter, I don't like it's position or how it shifts, but I could get used to that. Now the 308 is a Ferrari, and for it's time it was a slam dunk. I have ridden, but not driven one. As a Ferrari guy (or gal) what do you think? I can get a car that can embarrass even some people with exotics (i.e. I have seen a stock Z06 blow the doors off of a new Porsche 911, he was pissed), or a Ferrari 308. The Ferrari is sexier, of course, but the Corvette is pretty bad ass for a car in the price range I am looking at. So pretend you are middle class with limits on what kind of toys you can get and tell me should I go for performance over sex appeal? I am not the kind of guy, that wants a car for what others think, but rather because I like the car.
    I know a Ferrari is a Ferrari, but the Corvette is pure testosterone. Hell, I don't know, but it's fun problem to have.

2. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Wow, not even an F-you? Come on be nice. Are you discriminating against me because I am caucasion?

3. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Its kinda the wrong section (post this in the General Ferrari Discussion)

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Ummm... in the next 2 years? Why not wait until about 2 years and then worry about your "dilemma"? That's my advice.

"I have a problem... within the next 10 years I hope to be able to buy a McLaren F1. My problem is, should I get carbon fiber cupholders installed, or not? I base my decisions on what people on the Internet who I've never met think, so please get back to me, as this problem is keeping me up at night".

Etc, etc.

5. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    I meant, within 2 years which means between 2 months from now, to two years. Stocks go up, nothing bad happens, sooner. Unexpected medical bills, car wreck, general **** happening, later.
    Good lord it's just a question. I wasn't basing my decision on what you say, just getting some input, that's all.
    Yes get the carbon fiber cup holders the plastic ones have been know to cause chaffing.
    I get the wrong section thing, I am a newbie, don't know all the rules. I don't know how to move it now, don't want to ask the same question twice.

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Oh boy, another Corvette -vs- Ferrari thread. Everybody jump on the bandwagon.

This horse has been beaten to death, resurrected, beaten again. Repeatedly. You're not comparing apples and apples, and if you truly are having a dilemma about it, then the Corvette is the car for you.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm not bent out of shape over this question- yes, we've seen the Corvette v. Ferrari question come up countless times, but the answer really depends on the person asking or answering the question. If you want performance, forget the 308. If you want character and style, with some now semi-retro panache, the 308 is a good choice, but not the only one. (What would a tweaked Morgan be like- i'd love to own one of those, not one with airbags and modern stuff inside, but more vintage, with a bigger engine, webers, etc.).
    If it were me, I guess i'd be driving the 'Vette, simply because i've had enough Ferraris to sate my need for style, and i like being able to go somewhere when i put my foot down. But, my choice may not be yours. Good luck.

8. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    To my eyes it looks as though you have made your mind up and will get the Corvette, you slated the 308 and praised the Corvette so why ask the question here?? did you take a wrong turn on the way to the Corvette forum and end up here? BTW do you know how to spell SEARCH? because you sure dont know how to use it.

9. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Get the titanium cupholders. :)

10. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Dear moderator,
    Please pull this thread. It is apparently not going well. Rather than defending myself against attacks, I don't believe I deserve, I'd rather have it deleted and not get slammed publically for asking a question. It was intended to be a disscussion on cars not attack on my character for what people perseve as a stupid question.

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Tough crowd!

If you read through the slams, all the advice you are seeking is there :

If you want pure speed - Corvette

If you want style & a sense of driving something purely special - 308

The Corvette will give you tons of torque, but won't be as nimble in the twisties.

Good luck in the next 2 years - I hope you can get the car of your dreams.

12. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Is this going to be a second car? If so, where do you live?

The reason I'm asking these questions is this: If it's a daily and you live in a hot climate, get the Vette. Solid car with a solid A/C.

But, if you're going to be just driving the car every now an again... I had the tops off my MR2 turbo this morning on the way to work here in LA and even though I wasn't tearing around I must say it was quite glorious! Even with the smell of smoke in the air for the Valley burning to the North and knowing I was going to work and not a nice late breakfast it made it all the easier. I bet it would have been even a little better in a QV. If I'd been in one I probably just would have driven by my work and continued a few miles to the beach and up the coast. When I was younger all that mattered was 0-60 times and how fast I could go. Now that I'm older I'm smelling the roses a lot more.

IMO both cars are a different kind of rose, both are beautiful and sweet. Pick the one that's right for you.

13. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Thank you, to those of you who did not roast me for asking this question. There are two different mode of thinking here, for me. I have always loved Ferrari's. I even went to Modena and toured the museum, saw Enzo's house, where he used to drive a car around his personal track where he used to drive a car of his choice to lull 2 year old Dino to sleep with the sound of the engine going by over and over again and ran in to an American who relocated there to work on the racing team ( he had a lot of interesting stories and inside info on his work there ), and tried to weasel my way in to the factory, which was off limits even with the very nice American's very willing openness to help. So Ferrari's mean a lot to me. The fact that the 308, which I consider one of the most beautiful cars ever made by anybody, is accessible really appeals to me. Also, it relatively easy to work on and there are many fine examples in really good condition, so getting a crappy one is a small concern. But then the Corvette Z06 , is a balls out rock and roll car. I really do like the car though it lacks the finesse.
    I don't conceder this a real dilemma, in terms that I am suffering with the decision, I love the problem really. In the end I would have a car that is the cat's ass and I would love (unless I got a lemon) , but in different ways.
    Ferrari is my dream, but I am wondering should I get a hard core performer and wait a little while until my means permit a more serious performing Ferrari, or should I jump right in.
    I am not comparing the cars, that was never my intention. I am sure most car people know what the Z06 is and how it compares, or doesn't to a Ferrari. I assumed that was beaten the death, just like I am sure the Ford GT vs. Ferrari theme has been. My goal was to get the opinions of Ferrari owners pretending to be in my shoes and the decision they would make with limited means. I think biased opinions would be interesting and may bring perspectives I did not think about

14. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You did get warned in your intro thread, didn't you ... :)

You indicate you know that they're apples & oranges, but your question basically comes down to: if we were you, should you have apples or oranges? As always, with this kind of question, we can't really give good input unless we know you a lot better.

So we can only advise from generalities. The two biggest ones being: this is apparently your first nice car and you're young. Given that, I would expect you should get the Corvette and get the HP thing out of your system. Once you realize that HP isn't everything, you'll appreciate a 3x8 more. Vice versa probably would leave you wondering and regretful, especially after paying a few $K for a repair you didn't expect. The only caveat to getting the HP is it's a lot easier to do something stupid with a bad outcome.

P.S. I haven't ever noticed a "please delete this thread" request be honored. Figure that you're stuck with what you post, but you can certainly improve your track record with better posts.

16. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    I appreciate your comments, I see your points.
    I definately have a lust for HP, but quite frankly, I am currently leanning toward the 308 right now. It's not a severe lean, but a lean none the less.

I don't think I need to improve my track record with better posts, I don't think this was a bad one. I did not offend anybody, declare a dogmatic statement or seek to cause any one any strife. In other words, I ain't done nobody wrong. So in that regard, I don't need to improve my track record, I am not going for an award. I am not apologizing for posting this thread.
    And yup, it does not appear to be going away so I am stuck with what ever folks want to dish out, whether I like it or not.

Nobody knows me that's true so here is a quick run down on me:
    Age 33
    Priorities: God, family, toys (i.e. cars and stereos), lifting weights.
    Likes: Execise, Philosophy, music, cars, more cars, beer, hanging out with friends, baseball.
    Politcal Affiliation: The Pat party ( I made it up). I can't legitimately affiliate myself with the others, they disgust me.
    Hates: The news media, terrorists, the NY Yankees.

That ought to be enough.

17. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    Sounds like you want a somewhat reliable car with power ... and you want it to be somewhat exclusive / rare and from a upscale manufacturer.

I think the 308 driving experience will disappoint you. It's a cool car, but it's dated. The corvette will be fun for a while, but you have reservations about being a "Vette Guy". I feel the same way.

I'd find a 3rd option. Maybe a high horsepower Pantera or something. Less expensive to service and still striking to look at. Or if you want something from this decade, maybe a BMW M Coupe. You may hate the styling, but it'll have some torque and you won't see one on every corner.

I don't have a problem with your question. I ask similar stuff all the time on the net. It's not that I am going to base my decision on what a bunch of computer-addicted-car-freak-strangers say ... but it is nice to hear opinions. Who knows, maybe someone will actually mention something you had not thought of.

This is how we learn.

At your age, a 308 is probably not the best choice. You don't need a Ferrari yet .... and you don't need the expense of maintaining one either.

18. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I wasn't trying to e-kick you in the nuts, but your 2nd response...

"Wow, not even an F-you? Come on be nice. Are you discriminating against me because I am caucasion?"

...seemed to be kinda asking for any kind of response, so I tossed in my $.02. My personal opinion... the 308 was a great car for its time, but it's time was the 1970's. Things have come a LONG way since then. It still has some good attributes, such as looking good, having a pretty high-revving motor, and "being a Ferrari", but in terms of performance, reliability, comfort, and IMO fun-ness to drive, it will get blown into the weeds by a Corvette. Thats just my opinion and it takes nothing away from the car or those who own them. I think they are cool cars, 308's, but as a SPORTS car, I don't think it would fare too well against a 1982 IROC, let alone a modern Corvette, let alone a Z06. I'm pretty sure I'd take a 355 over an older Z06 due to not liking the Z much and liking the 355 a heck of a lot, even given the performance delta. But the new Z06... I dunno, I think I would take one of those over almost anything save a Murcie.

There, thats a more honest answer, and dissing the 308 (as it will be taken, although not intended) I can get some flames too.

19. floppy

floppy Karting

Sep 19, 2005
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    I really appreciate this response it was the kind of thing I was looking for. The quote you referenced was really just a bump, I didn't fell like saying " bump", so I thought I would attempt at being humorous.
    The cost of maintenence does worry me, but I am pretty mechanically inclined and could pull off much of it myself. I also have poked around at the aftermarket and found there are a decent amount of parts that could bring thing car into the '90's at least. Putting some headers, exhaust,springs and struts and a high flow intake could easily bump this car into the 260 HP range; with tighter handling. Also getting bigger wheels (off of another, newer Ferrari) would help bunches. I figure about $5000 for the upgrades, minus the wheels. That in coupled with the fact that it is a Ferrari, which tends to mean the peak power is almost imediately available, and continues to be so though out the rev range. So with a little TLC, I think the car can be competative in today market, barring other exotics (although I think I could give a Porsch' a run for it's money), So in that respect, the 308 really appeals to me because I like to get my hands dirty every once in a while on a saturday and do something tangible to my car and make me feel good, that I accomplished something. That is something I really wouldn't have with the 'vette. Still, the Z06 is 'white knucle' fast and a gas to drive. So it has that going for it. but, also, there are to damn many of them, so that's a negative.
    Those are some of my thoughts on the 'which car' debate. I am having fun debating the two cars. Actually, other cars pop in to my head, but those are the front-runners.