I hear rumblins of the coming f430CS | FerrariChat

I hear rumblins of the coming f430CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by yellow 355, Oct 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    A person close to Ferrari told me that Ferrari has the f430cs on the boards for production.I could not get any info when the first cars would be rolling.Has anyone heard this rumor and when would the car be rolling is my question????I have a place in line coming up for a spider in 06 but the temptation is there for the CS!!!!That car with the traction control system along with all the inprovments over the 360 should be without compare anywere in the car world!!!!

2. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Two years away, if ever -- hardly a sure thing. That is what I've been told by reliable sources.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    why would you want a CS type car with traction control?

the one thing the Ford GT sure got right was no damn computers :)

doody.

4. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    Doody you should drive the the f430 to fully understand that not all of us are wired like MS. Pro drivers are skilled beyond the norm and can push cars in way most people only dream. The f430 has some very nice and helpful aids for the mer mortal....Please drive the car then let me know!!!!

5. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    It will be quite awhile before they introduce a CS. The factory is being taxed to the maximum now and Ferrari is negotiating with the unions to allow weekend work/car production.

A 430 CS would not be a major undertaking by Ferrari because they have a template in the 360CS. Add some aerodynamic features, pull out carpeting, a couple of suspension tweaks, carbon brakes and finally increase the hp to 525 and viola you have it. No R&D involved.:D

6. mensi

mensi Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    nberry, you got it right !
    Doody, I gather if you own one, you must put a ton of miles on it and spend many weekends on the track, that's what I would associate your comment with. For the rest of us who would ever hardly drive the CS like it is meant to, TC is a good thing.

7. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I assume Ben is talking about is e-diff, since both the CS and the F430 have traction control (ASR) which can be turned off.

Doody, the e-diff is truly amazing -- allowing you to slide and have lots of fun controlling your car. Its intervention is virtually undetectable (much like Porsche's latest nanny, PASM). But real men would rather crash than have some electronic wizardry save their bacon. :)

8. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I don't believe it has anything to do with wanting to crash your car. I think there is a great satisfaction of being able to control a car at its limit without the intervention of a computer. It's one of the great things about going to a track. Doesn't matter if its a Ferrari or a $5000 Miata set up for autocross.

9. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Yeah, but.........

When you have cars approaching 500HP they are great when you have them pointed straight and much less fun modulating the power through street corners when the tires simply cannot supply the grip. On the track, getting the car to rotate in the corners using power can be faster and a hoot. On the street I’ll gladly keep the ASR on to reduce the cockpit drama. Just one dog’s opinion.

10. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Don't get me wrong . ASR has it's place. My AMG has it and it works fine. But.. Not being able to completely disable it ,does take some fun out of driving the car.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    When it does arrive the F430CS could very well match the F50 performance levels.

12. mensi

mensi Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    I would bet the vast majority if not all people on this forum will get to their own limits before reaching the CS's limits. That is precisely why Ferrari is happy to include TC.

13. red360CS

red360CS Karting

Sep 30, 2005
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I doubt we will see one any time soon. The 360CS time around Ferrari's track was faster than the 360 by 3 seconds. If the f430CS is faster than the 430 by 3 seconds, you'll have a car thats faster than an Enzo. Ferrari will not produce a "production" ferrari thats faster than its current supercar. Nor will Ferrari produce a 430CS that is marginally faster than a 430 just for marketing purposes. They dont need to.

14. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles

Darrell,

You can disable ASR (Ferrari's computer controlled traction control) completely -- the CS has ASR and a regular limited slip differential. The F430 has ASR and the E-Diff -- another transfer of F1 technology.

According to Ferrari, this new feature, E-DIFF -- electronic differential, is the solution that..... "has been used for years in F1 single-seaters and has been continuously developed and refined, effectively transferring massive torque levels to the track under extremely high cornering g-forces. On the track, the E-Diff guarantees maximum grip out of bends, eliminating wheel spin. On the road it is a formidable technological refinement that improves roadholding."

"Torque is continuously distributed between the wheels via two sets of friction discs (one for each drive shaft) controlled by a hydraulic actuator. The amount of torque actually transmitted to the driven wheel depends on driving conditions (accelerator pedal angle, steering angle, yaw acceleration, individual wheel rotation speed) and brings considerable advantages in terms of performance, direction stability, active safety and handling feedback."

"For the driver, the E-Diff increases handling balance and grip (which noticeably improves acceleration), improves roadholding on the limit and also guarantees even better steering feel."

Knowledge is power.... and, in this case, an F1 technology transfer may even lead to better handling and more "fun driving your car".

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari has made a habit of developing special models at the end of model runs since the 348SS and 512M. But each has been different. I'll bet the 430 gets a special package, but I would not bet on a CS. They may debut some technology that will appear on the next model.

Dave

16. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    most V8 Ferrari's of late have had a 5 year run. at the end of that run we have seen the Serie Speciale, Fiorano and most recently the Challenge Stradale. the end of the run for the F430 will most likely be 2009, since it was introduced in 2004. which of course means we will see some sort of specialty version in 2008. and if history repeats itself, there are no promises that Ferrari would repeat itself! so, maybe or maybe not to seeing another street track car....after all the Fiorano edition was a convertible!

17. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

Exactly. And it will be at the end of the model run. It always is. Two reasons: One is to create a buzz. Second is to step up the price so people get used to a new higher priced model.

And like you pointed out...all have been different. The 430 will not be called a CS I bet a hundred bucks. When have they ever repeated a name for a special edition?

So the first 360 was a 99...and the CS was 2004. The first 430 is a 2005, so figure what...by 2009?

18. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Responce to JACK(LA)
    Thanks for the info. I was of the understanding the ASR was not able to be completely turned off. Good to see Ferrari has not gone the way of many other manufactures by not letting you turn it off. It's one thing I love about my 355, getting a little sideways. Ya it may not be the fastest way around a track, but it sure is fun sometimes.
    Darrell

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    CS or equivalent is a sure thing before the end of the 430 series.It will not match Enzo but may match F50.

20. yano

yano Rookie

Aug 15, 2004

WOW quite prophetic for sure.

The new 430CS is said to have 520HP and pretty much the same stuff you said :D

21. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The word is that a special 430 will be built but it will not be 430CS. Sorry I can't share the new nomenclature. The only bad thing is if it makes it to the states it will not be the car that Ferrari had in mind. No Race Seats, new OBD rules, more weight, bla, bla , bla.

22. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I find myself agreeing with Doody on the traction control. If you can't handle the horsepower, maybe you shouldn't have it. You wouldn't want a pilot that could only fly a plane on autopilot. Safetynets are probably a good thing for the most part, I just don't think sportscars need them.

23. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    I don't know if you saw this article. According to this article, FNA has admitted there is something in the works.

http://www.u-ka.cn/en/02/101472.html

Good thing I'm already in line!

24. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    don't believe rubbery performace figures , or what's written in text . and they can make a 430 CS , charge over the top , and sell everyone of them

25. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    with e-diff , you can still get the car sideways and have fun . the e-diff will only come into play if you take the car too far in it's grip threashold , in other words , when the car senses the driver HAS NO IDEA !!!!