Drop in radiator + fan options for 328 | FerrariChat

Drop in radiator + fan options for 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Auraraptor, Sep 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I was thinking of upgrading the radiator and fans in my 328 so the temperatures stay in optimum (ie cooler) even after spirited driving. Which options do I have for a good drop in replacement?

2. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  4. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    I had an issue with the factory radiator in my 328. The soldered seam between the upper portion and the lower finned section was weeping ever so slightly.
    I considered the possabiliy of replacing the radiator with the unit from Nick's but ended up just having it removed and repaired locally.

I'd driven the car in 95 degree weather with the a/c on around town here in Baltimore before the repair and the factory radiator seemed adequate.(Although the a/c seems marginal)

Do you just want to upgrade or are you having a problem?

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    My temp gauge seems to slowly creep up in city driving to slightly past the notch at the 5 o'clock position on the oil temp gauge. Only extended periods of gentle driving on the freeway seem to bring it back down.

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I went with the Nick's FORZA racing radiator coupled with a pair of 12" Hayden high-speed fans. The radiators are custom-fabricated by EVANS cooling (NPG coolant fame). The radiators are larger, all-aluminum units that are direct drop-in replacements for the factory radiator. The tubing bends are exact, the sensor locations and bleed screw locations are exact, it is a good unit.

I had initial problems with my Evans radiator - mine came with a pinhole in one of the weld seams, and sprayed coolant all over my car like a squirtgun when I pressured the system with a Stant pressure tester. When I sent the radiator back to Evans for a fix, they swore up-and-down that they'd fix it.....I got the 'repaired' radiator back, and it had ANOTHER pinhole in a weld seam! So I sent it back again, and Evans sent me a BRAND NEW radiator which as of this writing still holds all of its coolant and is not leaking.....

To get the fans, A/C condenser, and the Evans racing radiator to fit (the Evans unit is about 1-2" THICKER where it counts) I had to cut away the factory fan mount brackets from the frame with a Dremel and a cutting disk. Everything 'just' fit in the car. You'll need to 'fabricate' your own fan support bracket from some metal bits found at Home Depot ($10 in materials).

BTW, if your car is overheating because it has a seeping/leaking head gasket or the head bolts need retourquing, don't expect a new radiator/fan combo to solve the problem.....

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No I just had the headgasket replaced about 2 years ago and it seems fine for now.