Roland, I missed the FORZA article about your F40 | FerrariChat

Roland, I missed the FORZA article about your F40

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Boxer12, Sep 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Roland,

Can you tell me, was it worth it, considering labor time added to costs, to rebuild a burned out car? How bad was the car? Was it also tangled? The reason I ask, is like many, I have a bit of time on my hands, somewhat of a mechanical inclination, and helped a friend (on a VERY limited basis) rebuild a wrecked 550. I am thinking of getting a salvage car for a hobby and track car.

Speaking of the track, does your car have many idiosyncracies due to the damage? Would you say that, considering that your life is on the line (if you drive like I do), that the car is totally sound?

If there is a way you can email or fax me the FORZA article, that would be great. I am seriously considering a salvage vehicle (360CS), as I said, for ultimate track usage.

I know the F40 is vastly different than the 360, but as I said, a friend rebuilt a wrecked 550 that was seriously tangled. He was able to get the four corners back (almost) to spec on a rack. He doesn't use the car for the track, and I don't want a 550 anyway.

I guess since you have a reputation as a safe racer, and someone with actual experience with wrecked car, that is why I am asking you. Thanks.

Jim

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
  3. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    Also understand that Roland did a complete rebuild of almost everything.

I think if you have the time and space, a salvage rebuild is an amazing project that can be very rewarding.

although do remember that it doest mean 100% that it will be cheaper then just buying one either.

PM me if you want to discuss more, what is the condition/cost of the slavaged CS ?

-a

4. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Alex, Thanks for the links. I have no doubt that he rebuilt everything...I just wonder what level of confidence he has in the car now, and just how many idiosyncracies he thinks about when he is going 150+ heading for a hard turn with fatal crash possibilities if the car doesn't perform perfectly.

Aaron, I am thinking its a way to outsmart my wife, b/c I can invest in the car over time and keep reminding her that I "only paid" $75K for it... My friend 's example 550, who ended up putting $150K and having a 'nearly new' car. I have always wondered... if it was a track car, would he trust it with his life? Now, I know that many race cars take licks and get rebuilt, but I personally have never raced with anything that had undergone a major rebuild. My other choice, of course, is to buy a 355, but I am just not that hot on the 355 for whatever reason. I really would like, however, a 360CS but my wife won't let me fork out the cash for a nice one. A plane, ok, but not a car...female logic. I don't want a mechanically beat car either. That blows. So, what other choice do I have? Roland seems to be ok with his F40, so that is why I am looking in this direction.

5. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    well I know Roland trust that CAR 100%, we had it at over 200+ at times..

and many can tell of stories going around the track at 150+, so if I was to answer it for him, I would say he trust it 100%

-a

6. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    That's cool. I was hoping that was the answer. Has he set any track records with the car? JC

7. kpl

kpl Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    Is there more to the article?

From Roland's web site, it looks like he pretty much rebuilt the entire car from scratch. I would think that he would have even more confidence in the car than if it were new, as he knows that every bolt is torqued and every single part correctly assembled.

8. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I am not sure about that, but I do know he hasnt taken the car too 100%, and has no need to do so.

Its enough to handle at 80%..

:)

-a

9. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    From the pix on his website, it looks like he basically used the frame and the remainder of the wreck for parts...the frame looks like it had a few members replaced, and I imagine he (whoever did the work) was able to get it pretty true to specs. In looking at what he did vs what my friend with the 550 wreck did, this was a much easier (not less extensive) job to rebuild. I guess a tangled mashed frame is the worst of all possible worlds...so long as you can find a good drivetrain and parts. I guess it helps to get lucky too...like he did with the motor. No reason to doubt that F40LM integrity, although I guess I could have in the back of my mind that a weld could break or something...but of course, that is always a possibility.

Aaron, you telling me he takes that machine to a track like PPIR and doesn't wring it out totally? (I have to say those vids look pretty tame.)(I think if I were driving, that chick would be SCREAMING....STOP THE F****** CAR!) lol

10. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm

Well of course there are times for everything :)

Roland like myself when we have students and or just passengers we will not go "over" a certain point, as this keeps things consitant, and reduces outside risk for the passenger as well as ourselves.

Roland by himself in the car, will take the car further then with a passenger.

I guess when he reads the thread he will answer, and I would assume his answer would be something like this:

I am always in front, so that means I am going fast enough!

:)

Also, I dont think he has an ego that makes him have to push more and more, and why risk it..

I possibly will be looking for a project car as well in the near future... :)

Cheers,

-a

11. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Aaron,

Is it ego that makes a man dream of being on a deserted track or roadway, nobody but man and machine, and taking it to the edge? I have done that all my life, and can't imagine a more satisfying moment. The more intense the machine, the more intense the moment...its what makes me want greater and greater performance.

I would have a 999R if it weren't for my wife...her dad just brought her up to fear two wheeled vehicles...I still dream of those days of my youth, racing around the shores of Lake Texoma on a 750 Yamaha, or later, in a Corvette, then a 944, then a Carrera (got stuck for 10 years on that one), then a TR...

There are very few places that you can run a car on the road anymore, and really wring it out, so I have to resign myself to a tract experience...I am afraid I will feel a bit like a Hamster in a cage. I get bored in racing school, running laps, but maybe with the right car....I never got to the level of a Formula Ford (never lived near a school that had them).

Does Roland give instruction and let his students drive the F40LM? I don't get the impression that he does. I don't blame him. Wouldn't it be a kick to find a school that puts you in the seat of an F40? Someone should do that, rather than let them all sit in garages gathering moss. I am amazed when I hear of someone owning one for 10 years and racking up 4 or 500 miles...what a waste of life, both for the car and the driver.

Oh well, I better get to work. Jim

12. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Howdy Boxer, sorry that I missed all the post but I was in Cib=ncin, than vegas and after a few hours of sleep, back on the road to an event in St Louis with the LM.
    Yes, I started on a NONE crashed frame...Just a fire that we had on the fuel tank. That's why that part of the frame was replaced by the exact type of oval metric tubing.
    I don't much time now, but I can tell you that the frame is a bettre one now after redfoing welding to reenforce iot based on the Michelloto blue prints.
    The car is 100 % safe and after 4 seasons, I still prove at each event that she is a top runner.I have now 32 events under her and went home without running !!!
    Feel free to e-mail me but after St Louis where Aaro and I will show the P cars how a F car can run..
    Take care
    Roland
    F40LM

13. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    You're a busy guy! Go get em!

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have the complete article, and as he stated it was a fire job, not a wreck.

IIRC he was also very fortunate to pick up a complete F40 crate engine.
    You don't see those in the Want Ads every day!

Roland is a top notch driver and like most long time performance enthusiasts, uses his head, when at the wheel, to match his style to the current conditions!!!!!!

I suppose the top compliment I've seen to him was the FFQC participant who loaned him his new yellow Enzo, to give Zupra and others some on track demonstrations last year at the No Problems Raceway in Donaldsonville, LA.

Zupra had a grin on, you couldn't remove with a crowbar!!!! I had a picture....somewhere.

The roads were good, down in South Loiusiana, but you had to be careful not to slip on the loose sugar cane leaves, as it was harvest time! Street tires or racing slicks....driver option! Wow!

Salute to Roland! From the somewhat soggy Gulf Coast! Forza!!!

See you at the next FFQC, my friend!

*post Bourbon Street Red Girls pic here...............;)*

Signed,
    BigTex

15. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Big Tex, you make me blush !!! Thanks, it sure was fun to give a go in the Enzo and diformed for ever Zupra's face.. later the CGT run was cool too but the best was 900+ miles in a Enzo from Cal to BC!!
    See you at the next FFQC, it will raise again.In 2 weeks, we have a Ferrrai track event at PPIR and we will have a charity run for the Katrina's relief.
    take care
    Roland
    F40LM

16. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Well, having now seen the car, the restoration pix, and RIDING shotgun with Roland at Gateway Int'l Raceway, ya, the car is 100%. No worries, eh! Roland, your car is AMAZING and riding with you was AWESOME!!! Your generosity is astounding! Look forward to getting my own awesome track car...gotta work on that. :)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135255688#post135255688

17. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thats very, VERY, VERY fun...I would know!!! :D

Glad to hear everything went smooth and good luck on your F-car adventures!