Auto lift dealers | FerrariChat

Auto lift dealers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by michael bayer, Sep 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone have any experience with the following Web auto lift sellers: Conroe Eqpt, Auto Lift Shop, America's Pride? I remember several months ago there was some chat after someone placed an order and the seller (name I can not recal) went bankrupt leaving the buyer in the lurch. Michael Bayer 365 GTC/4 #14947 and 330 GT #9727

2. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    I previously (before we moved) had a 4-post lift by Eagle Lifts (Google this), and had no problems with it, and would buy from them again. They are on the east coast, but I believe they ship from Texas, and their standard deal is free shipping to the purchaser. You will need 2-3 people to help you unload the truck and assemble it when it arrives. Also, unless you have experience with setup of hydraulic equipment, pay someone (find hydraulic sales/svc in Yellow Pages) to help you. Next time I would buy the 220V version; it runs twice as fast as the 110V I had. Quality of Eagle's stuff is good, though they claim the metal is powder coated, which it definitely was not, at least 5 yrs ago. We had an 11 ft ceiling in the garage with this lift, which I would say is minimum; the garage we're currently building will be 12 ft. Hope this helps.

3. FLYZDINO

FLYZDINO Karting

Aug 31, 2005
    I went to several local repair and service shops and got a recommendation for a local equiptment dealer. He had it delivered, unloaded, assembled very much worth the extra fees. I ended up with Rotary brand lifts (two). Commercial grade a bit more, but probably worth it, especially if you park another car underneath. get the drip tray and the jack support, you can use two jack stands to lift a quarter ( one on the floor, lower car, then one on the stand, then raise. Agree with 220v if you want the car up before sunrise. Lifts are great, you need self control though, you might end up spending more time under your car than your girl.

Z

4. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Michael,

See Tom's site. Also the Rotary was a turn key affair- it was all done while I was at work,

Dan

5. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I would also recommend a two post commercial style lift. They provide an extra margin of safety and are specifically meant to safely handle people working on the cars, while on the lift. Rotary, Benwil, etc. There are local distributors/installers all over and if you are interested, they can sometimes sell and install a used unit.

Bill

6. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I have a Challenger 2-post commericial quality lift that I've had for 6 years...just excllent, but they're expensive. It is of the same quality as Rotary, which I almost got, but at that time, this model was about 1/2" lower to the ground...negligible. If I were to have only one lift, and it was for repairs (instead of storage), I'd get a 2-post, for sure....either Rotary or Challenger, best price takes the prize.

On the other hand, for storage, I like the 4-post, and I have a Bend-Pack. It's OK, but unbeknownst to me, it needs compressed air to move the locks and lower the car...hydraulic up, however. Anyhow, I got a small $70 compressor from Harbor Freight and it 's fine to this use, but the lift is slow, and firing up the compressor is just one more thing you don't have to do with other lifts (like the Challenger). On the other hand it was much cheaper than the 2-post, no comparison. I'd look at Superior or Autolifters or DoublePark if I had to do it over. steve

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What is the price range for these? especially the Challenger as it seems right.

8. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    They have a website, and I'm sure more info. I paid about $3700, including professional installation in '99. steve

9. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    First thing you need to decide (for yourself) is do you want a 2-post or a 4-post. There are good valid reasons for both and there are very biased people on both sides of the debate. You will be told how a 2-post is absolutely the only way to go and some will tell you the same about 4-post. Some one has already said that a 2-post is safer because they are designed to have someone working them...sorry, I want 4 posts holding that car above me.

Others will tell you that you can't work on the suspension with 4-posts, I will admit it would be easier on a 2-post, I will also admit that I do the work correctly the first time and don't do suspension work that often but when I do, its on my 4-post.

For me the deciding factor was, how easy it was to drive on, lift and park a car underneath it. I have drip trays to protect the car underneath. You can do that on a 2-post but if you drive your car often its quite a pain after a while.

10. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    #10 Kliz, Sep 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2 post vs. 4 post?

I debated that question at length but, because of height and space restraints and the fact that mine would also be used for storage/parking, I went with 4 post. I do, however, use it a lot for work on the cars. I feel it is safer than a 2 post and better suited for long term parking. Once the 4 locking blocks (one per post) are engaged it is very solid. It doesn't need to be bolted to the floor and can even be equiped with casters so it can be moved around - sounds good but I'd never do it!

There are disadvantages to a 4 post:
    1. The 4 posts do get in the way and if your tall like I am, you're frequently head-knocking the runways and cross rails.
    2. The runways restrict access to the suspension and inside wheel areas.
    3. You can't get the weight off the suspension unless you have an optional jack plate and a bottle or sissors jack short enough to get under low ground clearance cars like a Dino. Then you have to work around the jack plate and jack which usually end up under the engine. Keep in mind how often the Dino's rear wheels come off for any number of service routines!

220v would be good if it raises faster!

If would be nice to have one of each - 4 post & 2 post!

Mine's a Park King by American Custom Lifts!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I am about to get a lift and was thinking 10' ceiling heighth would be fine for two sports cars.

What have others found to me workable?

I know I would do 12' if starting over, but I am not and having to "make do".

12. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    R/e ceiling height, I would get the exact specs of the lift you intend to puchase, and the exact heights of the intended vehicles, and do the math. A critical dimension not to be forgotten is the overall height of the lift motor, track, etc; I paid a garage door guy to come in and snug all this up to the ceiling, which I would recommend. As I said, we had a ceiling 10'10" to 11', and it was adequate for a Dino and Mini Cooper w/ 6-8" to spare. If you have attic space above your garage, I have heard of people opening up that space and finishing out the resultant cavity to provide more altitude. I would still recommend a four pose is you mainly use the lift for vehicle storage, and a two post if you mainly want it to work on the cars. Work on suspension and wheels was a huge pain in the a__ despite jack stands. Good Luck. Bob

13. S2000Driver

S2000Driver Rookie

Aug 19, 2004
    Autolifters went out of business.
    Owner sited his in-ability to cope with cheaper imported lifts.

Having said that I have an Autolifters 2 post lift.
    Great unit. 110V.
    110 has its merits...slower going up means more time to react to problems and the like.
    Go with a 2 post. but be aware that the lift arms will probably not fit under most low cars. My Miata and S2000 both require that I drive up on wood-blocks to gain clearance for the arms.
    I have no idea if F-cars would have trouble.

Ted

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I was the guy that got caught in the AutoLifters meltdown. Got nasty with lawyers and finally Chase Credit Card refunded my money, likely not a penny from AutoLifters if it had come to that. Sad.

15. FLYZDINO

FLYZDINO Karting

Aug 31, 2005
    I had a commercial motor installed for the garage door. which goes to the side of the door rather than the mid ceiling location this gives you more usable height.

two post lift may not fit under the Dino unless you lift the Dino first. Been very happy with my four post Rotary lifts (2). with the jack stand i can do suspension work, changed clutch, altenatore, belts, ...etc. Runways are very helpfull to set tools and parts down while you work.

I use a retractable cord (adapted 220v plugs so as not to get mixed with 110v) to bring power to the units, each have a plug in cord. That way you can disconnect and no cords on the ground when not in use, also safety for kids. 220v better, motors willlast longer and much quicker lift, however must get electriciain to pull 220v line.

I put removable foam padding (AC line insulation ) on end of runways ramps, so as not to damage runways with my head.

Lifts are a great thing to have.

Zannos

16. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks all for some great insights, I have mounted a commercial roller door, have 220 installed and about 11'3" of head room, more thn enough for the 330 and the GTC/4. As I actually drive them will get a four post, have air available probably get a Bendpac because as I find them on the web, their HD9ST seems to be the most compact 4 post, I hope not to have the same experince as UroTrash, still looking for the best price though less than 2500 shipping, drip pans and a jack tray seems doable. Any other advice is welcome, Michael Bayer

17. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    The comments from others on 2 vs 4 post lifts are right on. The selection can easily be made simply on how you expect to use the lift. For storage, detailing and light maintenance, go with a 4 post. For more serious work, a 2 post works best. The only other consideration is height. A 4 post lift is only about 7' high so you only have to worry adding the height of the car to that. A 2 post lift usually have 11-12' columns and if you pick an asymetric one, gets mounted forward of the centerline of the garage so it's not under the highest point of the roof.

I ended up with a Bend-Pak 2 post asymetric lift from All Tire Supply (ATS) in Texas http://www.alltiresupply.com. They had the best price at the time. I think that all of the dealers have the lifts drop shipped directly from Bend-Pak. It should only take a dealer a week to process the order and for you to get a shipping notice. Any longer and it's time to start asking questions.

For my installation, you can look at http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/ShopLift.htm

FLYZDINO is right about the clearance. I can get the arms under the 330 and 240Z OK, but the 308 needs to be driven on 2" risers first. I also use them for the 330 as it allows using the 4" extensions under the lifting pads. This makes sure that the arms don't hit the pinch welds below the doors.

18. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Michael, I got my 4 post Bend-PaK from:
    www.automotiveserviceequipment.com
    brian or 800-229-6218
    was a good price, but can't swear no one was cheaper, back in Feb of this year. Great service from them, as well as tech info from Bend-Pak themselves.
    I had my bolted down, but they say you don't have to...I was just nervous I guess. Got the drip pans as well. Didn't get it from a Tx dealer, as I didn't want to pay state sales tax.

Someone else mentioned this, and I concur... my 2 post on 220 is much, much faster than the 4 post on 110. The 330 gtv fits on either with ease, but a low slung car like my Cobra (Kirkham Aluminum) requires either a 2X12 or a jack to get the arms under it.

steve

19. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Has anyone used Superlifts? I spoke with them and they seem very nice. Their four post lift with install is about $4,000. It seems a little higher than most. I will be using the lift for storage, so would you recommend the 110 or 220 power supply? I like the idea mentioned in the above post of running the garage door rails to the ceiling, this should give me the height I need.

20. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    #20 Roland E Linder, Nov 5, 2005
    i have two 4 posts lifts and i have only very low race cars.
    it's easier to get the cars on the lift- you need to extend the ramps because of the low/ long noses- but once on, just get bottles jacks under the frame / suspentions and the car is all 4 wheels off for work.'the 2 posts are great, don't get me wrong, but you need to chrck where to install the arms, most of the time they are to high..

21. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Holy crap I just fell off my chair........ I want.....

22. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm

What did you do, photoshop my cars out of the pic ??

hahaha

Yes Roland has 2 4 post at the ranch, and my 335C is happily takening the space of one, and his TR is on the other :)

-a

23. mozola

mozola Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    John
    Roland,
    What is the black car on the lift above the porsche?

24. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    #24 Roland E Linder, Nov 6, 2005
  25. Michael Everson

Michael Everson Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Norton, MA USA Earth
    Full Name:
    Michael Everson
    #25 Michael Everson, Nov 6, 2005
    Here is a picture of my lift. With short cars you can get away with a low ceiling. Makes working on them a little tougher, but still better than laying on your back. the top car is 50 inches tall and the lower is 52 inches. I still have 4 inches to spare.