Recommended Drives? | FerrariChat

Recommended Drives?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dean 355, Oct 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Can anyone suggest a good driving route for a 4/5 day trip in this country. I live in Kent and was going to head to somewhere like the Lake District, Cumbria etc but haven't really made my mind up. Looking to move around and stay in different places each night.

Basically I am sick of our camera clod 30-40mph limited roads which surround me as this is all I get to drive the car on for most of the time. I want to find some nice open A & B roads that wont be clogged with traffic or have the police waiting to pull anyone doing 5mph over the speed limit.

Any suggestions?

2. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Isle of Man ?

3. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Forget the 4/5 day drive, join us on a drive of a lifetime, taking in the peak district, M62, some quick A roads and a spot of posing - 11th/12th November. See UK thread Leeds/Peak district

4. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Join us on the 11th/12th nov in the peaks.

5. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    spooky:D

6. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Looks interesting and will see what I can do, but I am confused.

You mention secure parking in Leeds. Isn't that an oxymoron.

7. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Nope, that's just a blatant lie :D

8. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
  9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
  10. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Parliament Square.

Apparently, it's possible to do more than 30mph before braking for the next corner!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    You beat me to it!

12. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    Dean, get ovr to north wales, stay in bewts y coed, ther are soe fantsatic unpoliced clear road with lots of visibility. You can the go over to the lakes and work you way back. No the best time of year weather wise to do it though!

13. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    What, on Sunday?!?!?!?!?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Back 'on-topic', I know it's a bit of a trod, but I found some fantastic roads south east of Edinburgh earlier this year, heading towards Duns Castle (we were there for a wedding). We had a Mondeo hire car after flying up, but still fantastic fun across rolling hills. If you don't mind doing the miles, I reckon it would be well worth checking out.
    :)

15. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    if yer at the lakes the road between penrith-alston-hexham is an abosolute must

16. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    give us a day or two dean, and i'll have you the finest, fastest route known to mankind.
    do you want hotel details too, and aprox. how many miles per day ?

17. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you need a job

18. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    you need a life ! - hijacker.

19. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean

Any hotels or good quality B&B's you can recommend would be appreciated. The problem with a lot of the places I have stayed at over the years is they are of the beaten track i.e. 3 miles down narrow country lanes.

Probably looking at doing anywhere in the region of 50 to 200 miles per day once were at wherever we end up (if that makes sense).

20. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    sorry dean ... just spotted the above response.

route to start at shrewsbury and end in matlock. (i am sure others may suggest best route to and from these)
    take A470/A44 to aberystwyth, then north around north wales for a few hours.... chester, wallasey, liverpool (you may catch IOM ferry for an optional day or twos' blast) then preston and north on A6 to Penrith (then another optional tour around Lakeland) .... from penrith (as per stevep) take A686 to Alston, stopping at the hartstop cafe at the top for a brew ... onward up to the A69 and west to corbridge ... head south on A68 with a slight detour to stay at the lord crewe arms in blanchland .... back to A68 south to darlington, then northallerton, thirsk, tadcaster, york, howden (past stevef's spot) knottingley, wakefield, holmfirth, glossop, chapel, buxton .... cat & fiddle (and back) then take ashbourne road .... turn off part way down into matlock.

dependant on time, you could take on board the yorkshire moors and dales, also.

if you fancy any of the above, give us a shout and i can firm things up.

cheers, d