348 coupe or nsx | Page 9 | FerrariChat

348 coupe or nsx

Discussion in '348/355' started by scuderiafever, Sep 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

I would be that owner!! CHASSIS NUMBER: 82589 (32nd car of production run, 17th ts, 5th U.S. car). I know its a silly stat, but what the heck! It (as well as all my Ferraris) have been bullit proof, but they need to be used and maintained...........but most of all enjoyed! Ciao.........Dino

2. Harold

Harold F1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Singapore/Australia
    Dino... you have owned the car from new and still own it??? Fantastic. What other F-cars have you owned and what is your view of them in comparison to the "red headed step child"?

3. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    60Km is around 30K miles... I've owned an NSX in the past and It's a great car but is not nearly as expensive to maintain. Oil filter was the same as in a Honda Accord.. brilliant and kudos to Honda for that one. Then again my 360 spider only cost me about 500 bucks last year for a complete fluid change and probably the same this year.

4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #204 VTChris, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

So NSX means NoSeX

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm not really into the Pinto, even with the beer. I wonder if Rob is going to revoke my f-chat membership.

7. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I would highly doubt that. :) While I love the 348 of course, the NSX is a hot, hot car...I can't imagine it not being the center of attention at almost any bar or nightclub I could think of. Especially some of the modified ones.

8. autovation

autovation Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    If you're a car guy, buy an NSX.

If you're a ferrari guy, buy the 348.

(this would be a draw for the car guy if considering the NSX vs. 355).

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes the NSX is flawed, it needs a little more low end torque; as for that 348 brick, I wouldnt say its perfect,

10. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Wow Dino, did the factory helped you with the history? I'm curious about mine as well. How's your 348 mileage now & please tell us about your belt/clutch change frequency etc. Looks like we have a common liking~Gallardo :)

11. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    Hasn't been my experience and if you're pathetic enough to need a car to get laid... well I'm not sure what to tell you. (BTW - to clarify this isn't directed at anyone in particular)

12. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    So wait, you would judge someone on their ability to get laid?

What I mean by that is the person that is not good looking and is not that good with the ladies...Maybe they are just a nice person.... So this person, to increase their game, buys an NSX. And now when they go out, they score more then they used to. Obviously, the contributing factor is the car....or maybe not....maybe the car has increased their self esteem and that is what is helping them....who knows.....anyway...you think that person is pathetic?

I don't....I think they are intelligent...I think they are fufilling one of their needs. They couldn't get the job done before, so they have resorted to another measure...

They're not hurting anyone by doing this, so why would it be looked down upon.

IMO, just because it is not the way you would handle it, doesn't mean you should knock someone else for doing it....or call them pathetic, no matter who they may be.

13. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    Call me a jerk and I can see your point that I'm judging but yes... I would call that person pathetic. If you're out of high school or maybe college and you can't get laid without resorting to showing off your car... you're pathetic.

By your logic, there's little difference between the guy who ponies up for a call girl (after all, isn't that improving his "game" and improving his self-confidence") and someone who needs a sports car to get ass.

I think that's sad, shallow and pathetic. PC? Maybe not, but you asked.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I got it with about 600 miles on it, and its been with me ever since. There has been a Euro 308QV....great car, a Mondial 8....a bit slow, a Mondial t cab....a perfectly balanced well rounded car, a TR.........fun, but outrageous(so 80's) but definitely old tech, and an F40......best driver's car (aside from my Indycar), that I have had.

The 348 is extremely 'dialed in'. Meaning the flaws have been weeded out, and performance maximized. I think that it is ageing extremely well, is far more rare and better looking that any of the new cars and is plenty fast enough for the street. If I want to drive fast with new tech, I'll hammer my SL55, which has embarassed 550s, 575s and 360s on many drives.

To me the 348 is still a great car....so is the NSX....but I prefer the 348.

15. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

I have been hanging around Maranello and have had friends in the town and the factory for quite some time. A friend got me the info on my car.

My miles are in the 30's. Over the years the car has been great. Two clutches (actually pressure plates) failed by losing fingers. I've done 3 majors on the car...2 of which I did myself, which actually wasn't that hard, aside from having to pull the engine. I've done majors roughly every 5 years...primarily out of fear of the belts failing. If you look at the manual, it states that the belts need to be changed at 52,500 miles.............NOT 15 or 30K! But who knows? I've had the car a long time and I don't mind being proactive. Clutches are vey easy to DIY in an afternoon and brakes are a piece of cake. I honestly don't know why everyone is terified to touch the cars themselves.............that's half the fun. I guess its the same thing I run into as the FCA Desert region Track events coordinator............most of the guys won't track, out of fear. Driving hard is the other half of the fun!

17. crocodile

crocodile Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    [​IMG]

Not knocking the Ferrari, but anyone who buys an exotic based on a status symbol alone does not see the car for what it is. A machine.

"It is a basic part of human nature," says Gibbs, who researches consumer psychology and decision-making. "What is critical is this idea that not everybody can have it. That basic dynamic has been true since the beginning of consumption."

For traditional displays of wealth like a Ferrari or a Rolex, the display is the point: Those who don't know you might not know how intelligent or accomplished you are, but they can see instantly that you've attained buying power.

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Or borrowing power!

19. crocodile

crocodile Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    This is a ferrari forum, not an NSX forum. The topic just happens to be an NSX vs. a F-348. Having said that my opinion of the NSX is from an owners standpoint, nothing more.

Which car?

My choice(s):

NSX vs. F-348.......NSX

NSX vs. F-355......F-355

If you want to read an article,(below) written about the NSX to further your knowledge, be my guest. Bear in mind it is interlaced with fact and opinion.

Honda has abandoned Japanese build values and deigned that the NSX should be handbuilt four-times slower than other Hondas. The car took six years to develop — twice as long as more mundane Japanese machinery, and Honda has drawn deeply from its knowledge of race car engineering. The double-wishbone suspension is cast from aluminium instead of the usual steel. And the suspension was fine-tuned by, among others, Ayrton Senna.
    But nowhere is the NSX’s engineering more impressive than in the engine, a quad-cam, 3.0-litre, 24-valve transverse V6 with variable valve timing and induction producing 270bhp at 7100rpm and 210lb ft of torque – remarkable for normal aspiration and just 2977cc.
    It is a tour de force worthy of the greatest names in motoring. No question at all, this V6 will be remembered as one of the great powerplants.

On the road

Honda NSX (90-02) Coupe 3.0 2dr -
    NSX sacrifices a little grip for benign breakaway
    Its comparative lack of torque means the NSX hasn’t the legs of its best opponents. Not that it’s slow; any car that can pass 60mph in 5.8sec and cover the quarter mile in 14.2sec is obviously extremely quick. It’s just that the Porsche, Lotus and Ferrari are faster still. Flat out the NSX flew round Millbrook at an average of 159mph, beating all others, bar the Ferrari at 163mph.
    And yet, we would happily lose a little outright speed for an engine like the NSX’s. It has a throttle response that would impress even Ferrari drivers, and real urge over an engine band at least 6000rpm wide. Enjoyment is enhanced hugely by the noise, comparable to no other road car engine in our experience. Anyone familiar with the struggle to cope with a mid-engined supercar’s gearchange will find the NSX’s light, well defined and balk-free gate a revelation.
    For the first time, a sporting Japanese car can be bought with a chassis that has a solution to every problem. Most of the time that solution is grip, but it is its forgiving nature that distinguishes the NSX from the rest of the mid-engined brigade.
    It has only fractionally less grip than a 348, but because it allows you your mistakes, it inspires more confidence than the snappy Ferrari. Which, in real terms, makes the NSX the faster car.
    For most, it will more fun too, as only the exceptionally talented would drift a 348. And mid-engined cars tend to ride well – the NSX is no exception.

20. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I can not believe that 218 (now 219 since I am throwing in my 2 cents) have actually responded to this post! The choice is plain and simple. Which one do you enjoying looking at the most and more importantly driving the most. Plain and simple. Buy the one you like and the one that makes you feel like you are on top of the world. Personally I have looked at both the 328 and NSX series.....328 all the way for me. I test drove both the NSX and 328 and the 328 won hands down without a second thought. I am now in the process of buying a wonderful 328....no regrets either!

21. crocodile

crocodile Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    Uh, I thought this was about the 348, not the 328????????

22. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    328...348...355....NSX.....the same applies for all models....get the one you like to look at...the one that makes you happy....upon driving a person should know instantly.....that is all I was trying to say.....I knew right away as soon as I drove both the 328 and NSX and 348 (as well).....I drove all three.....I knew instantly when driving the 328 it was for me....

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Crocodile, all I know is that my stock NSX was as fast as my Testarossa from 0 to about 100mph, didn't push them together beyond that.

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Only 224 posts ? Folks lets not let this one die....