Talk Me Out Of Ordering a Lotus Exige | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Talk Me Out Of Ordering a Lotus Exige

Discussion in 'British' started by Ducati998S, Oct 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's what I'm doing. My deposit has already been paid.

Just in case you haven't seen it, here's the Top Gear video:
    http://www.arielatom.com/04/topgear.htm

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    NOOOOO!!! Don't do it!

(I don't know, just trying to respect the title of the thread. No real rationale.)

(Although a used Elise is probably the best smile-for-the-buck if you're OK with all of its compromises. Any slightly used car is a wiser purchase than any new car, but you knew that.)

3. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    It gets good gas mileage.....(insert Homer voice) doohhhh......that is talking you into it.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Go for it. You only live once.

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    thats how I talked myself into the 308.

6. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
  7. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The lotus would be nice but if you still think your young enough buy a bike. Save the extra 40 grand. Have fun and learn something new. The new GSXR1000 is beautiful!

8. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! LOL! his face!

9. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl

I agree with this man.

10. Go ahead and buy it. Life is short. Treat yourself. Why do we really work? I will buy it back from you in 6 months for 40 K. So you have nothing to loose other than your money. Offer only valid on 2000 mile or under cars!
    For me I would by a 2005 Elise (for under 39k), save the difference. If you were getting the euro version then that would be different. I just hate depreciation (other than on my taxes).When I take a bath it's with water.
    Just my 2cents.

11. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.

yes and you are awesome for it. ariel atom's are so badass.

12. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    with all due respect, is this a joke?
    The Elise, (not to mention the exige), will CRUSH a 348.

13. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    by my 348 instead...

14. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    are you looking to upgrade to a 355??

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    When you say weekend toy, what do you mean? Like, driving down your favorite country back road, to your favorite little dinner atop a beautiful bluff (Napenthe on Hwy 1 comes to mind), or do you mean beating it senseless at a trackday every weekend?
    If it's the first scenario (with an occasional trackday) then I'd say sure, why not; it's a cool car, light, sporty, unique, etc. but if it's the second scenario, I'd say no. Why? Because it's inherantly a production car trying to be a race car and it's going to come off like a compromise between the two and will disappoint you one way or the other.
    If you want a serious track toy, buy a track car (already built and go for it); if you want a sports car, consider the lotus but if you're going to mix and mingle or try and make the Lotus into something it's a compromise between, you're destined for disappointment.

16. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Forget the Exige. Get the Ariel Atom like some of the others had said. Its faster, looks 10x better + if the supercharged elise ever comes along then you are going to look stupid and slow in your exige. So if I had the $$$ to spend (which I dont) I would go for the Atom.
    Before I forget the exige can be easily mistaken for a "ricer" to the untrained eye. For example: I used to have a poster of a yellow exige in my room but when when my mom thought it was a WRX with a body kit I immdeiatly took it down because I'm not into "ricers" and I didnt want a car that looked like a "ricer" on my wall. The atom looks like nothing on the road, goes like nothing on the road, and still looks great.

17. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    you only live once, buy it! and when you do, post pics please....

18. wbuild

wbuild Karting

Nov 27, 2004
    north carolina
    may be a stupid question, but is the atom street legal? i know the t-rex is, so maybe the atom is as well?

19. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.

yes i think it is. I remember the gentleman who made a thread a week or two ago about purchasing one for road use in the U.S.

20. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    Well, some of you have done a miserable job of talking me out of it.

To address a couple of points:

1) An Ariel Atom would be a blast. It's not what I'm looking for though. I want something that the wife and I can enjoy. I don't think she'd like the Ariel Atom. Just a hunch.

2) Another motorcycle won't cut it. I have a bike and it's a monoposto .. so the wife can't even come along. Besides, it's not so great having a passenger on a sportbike.

3) The Exige would see a couple of track days a year .. but it wouldn't be a track rat. I like to keep stuff nice. Primary use would be for weekend drives -- going nowhere other than seeking out fun roads. While the performance is awesome, I confess that the looks of the Exige do it for me even more. I've ruled out the Elise because A) I would never take the top off. I'm not in southern California and I've had convertibles before. I actually like driving in a closed car. Windows down is good enough. B) The Exige is more badass looking. C) The Exige is even more exclusive and will never saturate the used car market. D) If Lotus does offer up a supercharger, it can be fitted to the Exige because there is space in the engine bay. Might not be possible for the Elise.

4) I would love to buy a Ferrari, but I'd be subconsciously dissuaded from using it much. Too many miles can hurt the value & with each additional mile, you're one mile closer to a very expensive service. I can afford a 348, but I'd like a 355 10x more. So why spend the $ on a 348 when it's not really the model that would make you happy? In the end though, I won't consider a Ferrari at this point because while I can afford to buy one, I really can't afford to own one (ie. maintain it). The Lotus could have it's own issues, but the major stuff is Toyota....so it shouldn't break the bank.

The wife is supportive and wants me to get the car I want --- but her prefenence is for me to wait for the BMW Z4 Coupe. It's really not the same though. We've owned several BMWs --- all fine cars. It would certainly be more comfortable on a Sunday drive -- stopping for lunch or dinner, etc. But it's not a showstopper. The wife is probably not the attention whore that I am. She's more understated. I promised I'd tint the windows of the Exige so that she would not have to feel silly with people staring at her when the car is stopped.

As an aside -- do you think the Exige will be too low to use the car on most public roads? I'll keep it out of the pot-hole infested city roads, but I'm still a little worried about the ground clearance.

21. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    #46 -FROG-, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    all valid points. I feel your nerves. GO GET IT!

23. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    I asked for your help. I wanted you to talk me out of it. You didn't convince me. Thanks for nothing.

I just ordered my Exige.

I won't know how it is for a few months ... maybe April or May before I get to actually use it as it was intended.

The idea of this car is thrilling. I hope the reality of ownership is comparable.

I'll keep you posted.