Favorite italian sportbike and why? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Favorite italian sportbike and why?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sjb509, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    #51 rsvmille676, Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i'm loving the props the 888 is getting. i too think it is the quintessential superbike. my scoot still gets all the looks on the sunday ride!!!

3. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    We still want pics! :)
    The 888 is a masterpiece, and I need to get one before everyone starts to figure it out.

4. ferraripete

ktg...senp me a pm w/ your email....i will send pics of the monster!!!

5. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Duacati 999R.

In reality, is there really any other Italian sportbike?? :D

6. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Baaaazing! :eek:

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Drew:

Two reasons:

1. 998s had problems with oiling. I don't think they ever solved that problem. Was riding this last weekend with Mike Grant and my friend Jay Cory, both on 998s. Jay's bike started smoking, I pulled past him, motioned him over, when he was stopped, the rear tire was covered in oil. He had to park the bike. This was the second time, he's had that problem.

Also, I've gotten a little more power out of the 996, so it makes a little more power than a stock 998. Chip, Dyno tuning, and a pipe were the modifications.

Art

8. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    If I may, I'll chime in (since I own a 996 and have ridden 998s and 999 with the testa motor). I like the 996 motor more because it's longer stroke, more midrange grunt and all together more visceral sound, nature and appeal. The 998 testa (short stroke narro head motors) are smoother, more refined and do better at the very extremes of performance (flat out on a track) but they're not as "cool"; the desmo drone is quiter, the vibrations are smoothed out and the overall character is a bit muted (still a great bike, though).

The oiling issues that Art's reffering to on the 998 are common in so far as oil blowby occuring and oil being puked up into the breather valve and into the airbox and then spilling over. Ducati has warrantied some 998 for cyl ring replacement to solve the problem; the also advise owners to run the oil volume at the lower end of the oil sight glass (just about the bottom line).

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'll vouch for Art's extra power on the 996. On 100mph full-throttle passes 996 was right there with 998s, no problem. But he needs a bigger gas tank! ;)

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

11. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    My next door neighbor imports Gezzi-Brians. Haven't ridden one yet (been meaning to speak with him about that...) but I was impressed with the engineering and workmanship.

12. e60

e60 Rookie

Nov 3, 2004
    i would have to say the ducati 955,augusta f4 sienna,bimota 500v,and the bimota sb8r are my favorite italian bikes.

13. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    My 1969, Two stroke 50 c.c., 4 cylinder, "Fastasssum*****i" is truely the Ultimate Italian bike ! Bar none! vroom vroom! pop pop!

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    my yellow 1998 Ducati 900ss/cr with mods. Why?

'cause it is mine!

Seriously, at Grand Central Station here in NYC there is a lottery for an MV Brutale 750. $50/ticket with 500 tixs to be sold.

I've never won anything in my life so I praying....

15. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

#65 sjb509, Oct 10, 2005
    My brother sent me pictures of the MVs and Gallardos in GCS, is it this one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, it is the one on the left. They have a couple of Gallardos on display in the main area and 2 racing MVs opposite the ones pictured here.

Regione Lombardia has a display in Grand Central promoting tourism and there is a display honoring Antonin Scalia, all this in honor of Columbus Day.

Having lost out on the Porsche Club 50th Anniversary 911 Coupe I most certainly will win the MV.......

17. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    There is another 20 - 30 HP left in tghe 996, and it'll still be drivable. If you then put on a major diet, you could end up with a 350#, 150 HP (FactoryPro dyno numbers, about 15% below the DynoJet numbers), street legal weapon for the back roads. It would be drivable, but somewhat fragile. However, it would cost about another 10k over and above the purchase price to end up with something like that. Sure would be fun to dust the japanese 4s with it though. Especially in a striaght line.

Art

18. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Naked- Aprilia Tuono.

19. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #69 azcarguy, Oct 11, 2005
    I would have to say the MV Augusta (F4 Ago and Brutale) and because they appeal to me so much I had to run out and buy one over the weekend! It is my first "naked" bike and so far it's proving to be quite a bit of fun. I've only put about 450 miles on it but have enjoyed each and every one!

Here's a pic enjoy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice bike!

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You know i have both the F4s the F4 750(owned 4 years) and the F4 1000 (owned 4-5 months). I have never ridden the Brutale:( What are they like compared to the F4s in both power and handeling? How is it for comfort becourse the F4s are not. Does any one know in real world riding?

22. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Having ridden both bikes and now owning the Brutale my opinion is that the Brutale is much more comfort oriented (I am 6'2"+ and weigh about 228 lbs) and I thoroughly enjoy riding the bike all day. While I have not owned an F4 I have some sportbikes in my history (Suzuki GSXR 750 and 1000 as well as a Yamaha R1 and even a 2004 Harley Fatboy) and outside of the Harley the Brutale is the most comfortable. It has a less aggressive riding position and is easier on the back for us tall folks.

I would categorize its performance as far above average yet certainly short of your F4's! It is easy to ride fast and is fun to ride at any speed. You do need to wind it up to realize what it does best but that isn’t unlike the F4. It feels very stable at speed and when diving into turns but due to it's more upright riding position I don't feel as comfortable diving just yet, but that will come. The shortfalls (if you can call them that) are the mirrors, (totally useless unless you spend a lot of time admiring your forearms) a set of SATO rearsets would make the riding position a bit better for those with longer legs but are not a requirement and the seat could be a tad bit more comfortable. Some folks call it thirsty but I have averaged about 31 mpg so far.

Hope this answers some questions for you.

23. My friend has a Laverda. Sounded wild, almost like a old Triumph car. I think it was a three cylinder. He took it out for a ride one day and the kick stand came down, and poll vaulted the thing.

My favorite would be the 88 SPO. A neighbor had one, what a bike. I had 900 SP, that was a great bike also. I would love a Super Light.

24. ferraripete

i wish i could post pics of my 888. they are still lovely machines to this day!!