It's official! My wife... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

It's official! My wife...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by burriana, Oct 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #51 Hud, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    #52 angelis, Oct 5, 2005
  3. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Al, the speed six is trouble mate, buy one at your peril. Mine needed three engine rebuilds in 18 months, one just before I brought it (needed running in) one six months later, and another one needed about 9 months after that at which I offloaded it to a garage for them to worry about it.

4. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Actually barbie drives a 360 spyder. Loads on ebay for sale. Some bloke called fitz knocking then out cheap.

5. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    #55 angelis, Oct 5, 2005
    Noted
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    There is NO way that I can even hope to save any money whilst I have a Ferrari in the garage. I would simply drive it too much. Like I said, I really need to take 6 months out, but, depending what happens in Spain, I might be able to swing a cheaper stop gap.

Either way the Spider needs to go I'm afraid.

7. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Al - you're doing what can henceforth be called an Eric here...not understanding what the erudite posters are saying and being affected by the petrol in your veins.

A 308 is...a Ferrari in your garage. Just what you note you do not want! It will depreciate a little more slowly than the 348, but all your other costs won't be a billion miles away.

The TVR? You will definitely be further away from your goal in 6mths' time than you are now. Do NOT be tempted. It will end in tears and you wouldn't even be able to afford to get back into a 348 by the time your finished paying for mastik to seal the plug cover, silly putty to repair the conrods and kitchen roll to mop up the tears. (Before any TVR owners pipe up from PH, no, I have never owned one. Would love a few of TVR's cars, but you don't always have to stick your fingers in the fire to know you'll get burnt!).

Mind you, as you like yellow vehicles the upside of the TVR is that you'll get a lot of time in yellow vans owning one. With AA written down the side!

Also, now is the very worst time to be selling a convertible. Keep it until next spring, sell it then and buy the TR.

8. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    Yep, Oct/Nov worst times to sell a drop top. I picked up my 4.3 Griff in Nov and cheaply under this rule of thumb :)

Glad to hear some others over 6ft can do the 308 thing. I might have a revist on that then, but again this is the 2nd time Ive fallen foul of a wierd 6ft thing.

I had a 6'3 friend who owned and could sit in a Pug 106 when we were at Uni, yet when I tried one immediately leaving, looking to buy first motor, etc, could I sit in one easily? Could I buggery. Never understood it, as Ive come across several others over 6ft who could drive them easily enough.

Still anyway, Burr, keep the 348, set up some dedicated saving schemes, dd the money out straight after pay day every month so the money is being saved automatically. Adjust spending thru rest of month to suit.

Put ear plugs in to avoid nagging from SWMBO !

9. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Your height is made up of two things - legs and the rest (OK, and platform heels in some FChatters case).

Girth also has a part to play as it determines how you can sit comfortably. And this is not just beer gut, but shoulders and even the size of your legs.

At 6'4" with a 34-36" inside leg (depending on who's measuring), and a weight that has varied between 14st and 18st in the last 8.5yrs, I found that I could squeeze into a std. chassis Caterham 7. But many people shorter than me profess not to be able to.

I couldn't get anywhere near driving a 308 safely. Could barely get in at all!

The 355 is fine, though very legs akimbo and wipers on full speed is difficult.

I also managed to drive an original Mini very comfortably (with a 10" steering wheel attached) quite a few years ago.

I think desire also comes into it. How much discomfort are you prepared to put up with to drive the car of your dreams...

10. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Nope - you are missing what I'm saying ... about a certain new build in Spain coming up for completion fairly shortly!

If I get a 308 it will still leave me c£10k in the bank to go towards sorting out the set up cost on the place in Spain.

If, and it's very unlikely, I went the TVR it would be with eyes wide open. I was lucky enough to own a superb TVR, took it down to spain and generally had 18 months trouble free motoring. But I do know all the pitfalls of the Tuscan... which i why it may have to stay just a nice thought.

If I'm sensible, I will go without a weekend car until next Spring!

11. mhobson

mhobson Rookie

Feb 9, 2004
    Leeds
    Or, of course, you could but the Tuscan, and them purchase the new TVR used car warranty which costs £950 for 12 months, and covers EVERY problems which should arise, i.e clutch, electrics, gearbox & even engine rebuilds.

Speak to your local dealer for details. I have, and there ain't no smallprint.