Replacing Mondial 3.2 TRX wheels with 16" t wheels | FerrariChat

Replacing Mondial 3.2 TRX wheels with 16" t wheels

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peterp, Sep 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I plan to replace the TRX wheels on my 86 Mondial 3.2 with original 16" wheels from a Mondial t. Can anybody confirm that the 16" wheels are bolt-on? I've seen all the threads with Mondials running 355 and 348 wheels, so it seem likely that it will work, but I haven't seen anybody make the TRX->16" change. One concern is that the 86 is a non-ABS car while the t and later 3.2's have ABS. -- not sure if this makes a difference. I would like to be certain they fit before they ship the wheels, so any advice is appreciated.

2. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    My 86 Mondial came with 16 inch Speedline wheels. They look just like the 288 GTO wheels. There are no problems and I just put new Avons on them from the Tire Rack. It rides and drives fine and the Avons are a real bargain.Good Luck

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - it is a simple bolt on switch to put on the 16" 3.2 or t wheels. All Mondials have the same offsets compatable with ABS.
    Have fun
    best
    rt

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Birdman is now running a set of 348 wheels on his '83 Mondial QV instead of the original TRX wheels. Just bolted them on.

6. frankty

frankty Rookie

Oct 5, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Full Name:
    Frank Yonkers
  7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Frank -- thanks for the confirmation -- great looking QV, the wheels look great on that car.

Verell -- I have never really liked the 348 wheels on the 348 -- but they look great on the Mondials -- I would go this route or 355 wheels if I wasn't compulsive about keeping it original. In 86, they came with either the TRX or 16" wheels (at least according to the owners manual -- most I've seen have TRX's).