328 park light switch question | FerrariChat

328 park light switch question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Knowazark, Oct 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Knowazark

Knowazark Rookie

Dec 22, 2004
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ade & Steve
    OK, we have an 88 Euro spec 328 GTS. The park light switch (the rotary knob on the end of the light switch lever) has a broken piece of plastic which results in the park lights being on all the time now.

Underneath the rotating plastic knob is two copper strips that are bent so that they can touch each other. When the two strips are in contact, the circuit is complete and the park lights are on. The rotating plastic knob has, as part of its moulding, a small oval piece of plastic that sits between the two strips. When the smallest aspect of the oval is between the two strips they contact each other. When the knob is rotated 90 degrees the oval is at the largest aspect and it forces the two copper strips apart - breaking the connection and turning the lights off. In our car the small oval piece has broken off the rotary knob and it no longer forces the contact strips apart (so they're always touching and the lights are always on).

I can try gluing the small piece of plastic back in place, but its difficult to get to and I don't believe that it would last long even if I was successful in glueing it. I can buy the entire indicator/light/wiper switch assembly from my local dealer for lots of money but I don't need the whole switch unit.

All I need is the plastic rotating knob which is secured on the end of the light switch stalk with a small plastic locking ring. A piece of plastic a couple of inches long.

Anybody know if the 328 switch is used in any other model of car (Fiat/Lancia, etc) or where I may be able to obtain just the plastic rotating knob on the end of the headlight switch?

Steve

2. Knowazark

Knowazark Rookie

Dec 22, 2004
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ade & Steve
    Anybody know if the switch gear on a 328 is similar to/the same as the switch gear on a Fiat 128???

Heard a rumour, need to have it confirmed.

Steve

3. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I had a similar, though less dramatic break on mine on my 328 when I bought it. Those end parts are apparently not available anymore so from what I heard the only options are to wait to find one from a wreck (good luck), or repair yours, which I did or others can do.

Repairing can be done three ways:
    1-Send it out to I think it's http://www.maranelloautoparts.com/ and he'll probably want to charge like $300. to rebuild it. Not sure I'd do that.
    2-Buy a plastic repair kit online and do it yourself. http://www.mikeogara.net/tools/plastic-glass/rigid-plastic-repair-kit-clear.html
    3-But if you have all the parts or close, call a local vinyl repair guy. They often do plastics just like this and are already good at it. $50 and I was pretty happy. :)

And THAT'S WHY I recommended this part for manufacture on the other thread "What do you want made for your car?".

Good luck, hope this helps!

Best!
    Wes